power for my leds

chrisrod

Registered
Ok everyone you talked me into doing my led's myself. All my stuff came in the mail. I'm looking to get started on this project soon, hopefully this week. I think I figured out where I want to install all of them.

The problem I am haveing is the power, I want these lights on in the park mode on my bike. Also I wanted to have them come on with a switch so I can ride with the lights on once in a while ( I'm pretty sure its eligal to have them on while driveing in my state) so I can't leave them on all the time.

Well I just installed an angel eye and that is connected to the marker light wires so the eye comes on when bike is on and when in the park mode. I was planing on runing a wire directly frum the battery with a fuse of corse. I was wondering what size fuse should I use? I am installing 2-8'' led flexable strips and probably 6-2 1/2'' led flexable strips. I know they don't draw a lot of power. I bought a couple 5 amp and a couple 3 amp fuse's. Should I hook them up without the fuse and take an amp reading first?

I want to have the lights on in the park mode without turning the switch on dose anyone know where to get power from? I thought of takeing it from the same spot as the eye but then the led's would be on when the bike is runing. Would you think this is going to cause any problems haveing the led's powered up from 2 locations? I woudn't think so cas it is all the same power sorce comming from the 12 v battery. I know with 120 v like in a house if there is something powered up from 2 different circuits and the 2 circuits are on the same phase in the panel no problem cas it's the same potential. Thanks for the help.

i just hooked them up the the battery with a toggle... no problems... here's the required pic for the post of the toggle... i just put it through the fairing post...

pic.jpg

Ya I've seen that pic. I was thinking about putting mine in the same spot but I would like to turn them on with the park mode also. Just turn the key and walk away. Then when I want to ride with them just flip the switch. What size fuse did you use?

Last edited:
my LEDs are hard wired straight to the battery with a switch but you can mount your toggle switch anywhere you choose.

Last edited:
I agree as well, Just run one of the wires ( POS or NEG ) to the toggle from the battery, then you can turn them on without even having to turn the key at all.

I can but chances are when I put the leds on I will have my angel eye on also, so I have to turn the key anyway. If I can't figure this out then thats what I'm going to end up doing. Or I can hook up the eye to the switch also and just turn on the switch.

you could hook it into the rear tail light it would work with the parking light...which are also LED's so you wouldn't draw to much off the battery...

The rear tail light is on all the time isn't it? I'm looking to hook it to something that is just on when in the park mode. And turn on with the switch only if I want the led's on when ridding. Did anyone put them on a fuse and what size?

I ran mine from the battery with a 10 amp in-line fuse coming back from the lights, so if the lights short out or something the fuse will blow before it gets back to my rocker toggle switch or the battery. The toggle is mounted into part of my upper fairing( I guess that is what it is called) right under the left grip so I can turn it on or off while riding.

I really don't understand the need to connect the LEds to the parking. If you wire directly to the batter with a switch, you can switch them on when you are parked or you can switch them on when you are riding. My switch is behind my right fairing. I probably should put it behind the left fairing so I can reach it when I am riding without releasing the throttle.

Just something I wanted to do no spacific reason. I was going to just wire it to the tail light's like Evil keeps me young said, but thought about it and then the lights will be on all the time, so I decided to add the switch. I take it there is no wire to tap into for just the park mode or nobody knows. I will prob end up disconecting my angel eye and hooking it up to the switch also. The problem is that I want to have my eye on when I'm ridding.

Last edited:
Back