Power Commander5 question

Toby

Registered
Just bought a 2015 with full Brooks exhaust amd Power Commander5. Qeustion is ,how can i find out if it has a good tune (map)in the power commander? I want to make sure with the exhaust the bike is running at its best
Thanks
Toby

Open the map on a PC or tablet and look at the comments section of the map. If I recall sometimes comments have to be enabled via the menu, but I think they show by default. You can compare the map name and comments to DynoJet's web site to see if it is a stock map. Stock maps can mitigate major issues but many times are not great. If the comments show the name of a motorsports shop then you have a name to call and possibly get a dyno printout via the bike's VIN (I would think they would share that with any owner.) If you find that the bike needs to be dyno'd then people here may be able to recommend a shop in your metro region.

Back in the day a PC 3 or V was the best there was avaible before ECU flashing/tuning . They get you in the ballpark , but not on a BASE .

I guess “ballpark” means the engine at least runs? This on ran.... really lean.
C004AC0A-4D1B-4A7D-BCB1-FA0DC1F915EE.jpeg

I thought you got a finer tune with the PC?
You mean finer than a flash? Yes, if you use the PC5 to adjust the fuel table values that were flashed to the ECU. ...but in order to do that, you need to know how much fuel to +/- every cell and for that, you need an O2 sensor and AFR Gauge.

Toby, if you want to know if your map is "good" you can do any of the following:

#1 $200 Go to a highly reputed busa tuner and have them flash your ECU. Keep the PC5 to make adjustments to the flash fueling in the future if you want/need to. You will not notice the difference between a good flash and a custom tune for your bike.

#2 $300 Go to a highly reputed busa tuner and have them custom dyno tune with their equipment and your PC5.

#3 $100-$200 Install a wideband AFR gauge. You will need to weld an O2 sensor bung into your exhaust. I suggest further research to determine exactly which location on the busa exhaust is best for an O2 sensor. If the AFR is between 12 and 13 while running, it's a good tune. Tuners might go richer at lower rpm but generally, 12~13 is a safe indicated AFR for a sport bike at any engine speed and will make the best horse power at high rpm. If you see an AFR of 14 or higher while running, that is a bad sign.

#4 $600 Install a POD300 and Wideband2. You will need to weld in an O2 bung into your exhaust if you do not already have that. The POD300 has an AFR gauge and better yet, it has a data logger. You can look at the data to find .10/second lean spots you would never see on an AFR gauge. I've used this setup to road tune my ZX-14 and it worked. It is a lot of learning just to get the basics however. It is also very dangerous to tune at high rpm on the road. Several top speed runs to get the whole map. After all was said and done, not really any better than the base map I started with.

ecu editor and a wideband setup, need to weld in a bung. you can datalog through the engine ecu and record on a netbook/laptop. finetune through pcv or ecu and this gets you a flashed no restriction ecu. aem x series is about 200, ecu editor and flasher 200. net book/laptop 100.

Mythos, thanks for the info.There is a shop that has a dyno and do install and tuning on programmers . I am waiting to here back. They are not Busa specific,but have been around awhile. I am in the Sacramento area and if anyone has tuner recommendations i am open to hear.
Thanks

Mythos, thanks for the info.There is a shop that has a dyno and do install and tuning on programmers . I am waiting to here back. They are not Busa specific,but have been around awhile. I am in the Sacramento area and if anyone has tuner recommendations i am open to hear.
Thanks

Back