Power Commander V, Yay or Nay?

KrazyInKamo

Registered
I wanted to go with the PCV back in 09' however I had a k8 and for the longest time the PCV was specified for K9+ so I've been running a PC3 USB. Runs great but can't help to wonder if the PCV w auto tune would be better? Has anyone actually dyno'd a Gen II w the PCV Autotune? How close is it to the optimum A/F ratio? I did a search on it and found nothing. :banghead:

The bike is a K8 with XTRE, BMC intake, Full Tsukigi exhaust, pair valve and PC3 w map from Tsukigi right now..

Basically will there be an increase in power w PCV w/Autotune over the PC3 w/map and does anyone have valid numbers to prove the PCV's worth?

I thnk the PCV is probably not worth the cost and effort to install for your setup unless there is some reason you are not happy with the canned map. Your money would be better spent on a custom tune IMHO. I have an 09 with a full Yoshi R-77 just installed. I have a PCV with Autotune. I bought the Autotune over a year ago and never used it! Bike ran perfectly on the custom map.

If you are set on new electronics, I would look at the new ECU programmer with autotune Boost by Smith has, that looks to be a great setup. It's a little more than the Dynojet stuff but looks to work more seamlessly. Remember with the Autotune you have to constantly fiddle with the PCV to get any improvements.

Just my opinion.

Find out if there is a tuner close enough to you that is skilled/experienced tuning hayabusas. Find out what he is most proficient with (PC, Bazzaz, ECU Editor, etc.) and then buy that one. FWIW, my bike came with with a PC V (09, V&H Headers, Yosh CF R-77 slip-ons, BMC Race) and I am currently running Dynojet's canned map for a full Akra 4-2-2...bike runs perfect.

However, I do plan to get a dyno/tune someday using the PC V because the GO-TO tuner in my area uses it (although I also have the ECU Editor to play with other stuff). Best of luck.

I thnk the PCV is probably not worth the cost and effort to install for your setup unless there is some reason you are not happy with the canned map. Your money would be better spent on a custom tune IMHO. I have an 09 with a full Yoshi R-77 just installed. I have a PCV with Autotune. I bought the Autotune over a year ago and never used it! Bike ran perfectly on the custom map.

If you are set on new electronics, I would look at the new ECU programmer with autotune Boost by Smith has, that looks to be a great setup. It's a little more than the Dynojet stuff but looks to work more seamlessly. Remember with the Autotune you have to constantly fiddle with the PCV to get any improvements.

Just my opinion

Actually I believe the ECU harness is cheaper than the PCV once you add the auto tune module...keep in mind you are dealing with two units when you get the PCV and autotune.

I do like the autotune and have had good readings with it but I do not have the numbers that you are looking for on paper to compare. My ECU is also flashed for other reasons, but my normal tuning method is through the Autotune from dynojet.

The ECU flash IMO gives you a much wider range of options for the $$$, it all depends on what you want to do with it and how much you really want to get into tuning yourself.

As far as fiddling with the PCV, you would have to do that with any program even the ECU flash if you are attempting to keep a constant tune yourself.

If just tuning for a slip on can, like said before you may just be better off getting a custom tune and be done with it.

PS: One other thing,,,I have no idea why they only list the PCV and autotune for the '09 and up. They are the same unit and work fine on the '08. They will even tell you it will work but they don't support it...haven't figured that out yet.

I was Suzuki FAST certified when looking at this and there weren't any differences to justify 09+ and not 08 but the map I've ran from Tsukigi(not dynojet) has ran great w the pc3. I just just wonder if its a full closed circuit ecu and if it is dead on as far as a/f ratios. As far as getting it dyno-tuned, Im not sure if any shops in germany even have a dyno. Something about tuv inspection. I am very satisfied w the bike as is but you always want more...

I've always wondered the same about being dead on, but we do not have any dyno's within quite a few hours of here. My guess is they are sometimes a little bit off because you have to rely on your air fuel sensor which I personally feel can be contaminated with different fuels, etc. For example I hear MR12 wreaks havoc on them, but still nothing on paper to prove any difference.

Maybe someone can post their thoughts on accuracy.

I have read of a member here who mailed out his ECU to get it flashed directly and has been very happy with it (takes away the PC and/or ECU Editor/Flashing Interface).

I was Suzuki FAST certified when looking at this and there weren't any differences to justify 09+ and not 08 but the map I've ran from Tsukigi(not dynojet) has ran great w the pc3. I just just wonder if its a full closed circuit ecu and if it is dead on as far as a/f ratios. As far as getting it dyno-tuned, Im not sure if any shops in germany even have a dyno. Something about tuv inspection. I am very satisfied w the bike as is but you always want more...
I think you answered your own question :thumbsup: I guess its human nature to never be satisfied.....but I say if it aint broke (and your wallet aint broke yet) don't fix it.

I've learned to be satisfied and just enjoy things more....its way more fun than never being able to relax because you can't let things be.

Back