Power Commander USB or IIIr

trip

Donating Member
Registered
I got my new 2003 Busa in June, got hooked up with a pair of bolt-on Yosh pipes and now she sounds much better but is really running rich.

Can someone tell me if the power commander IIIr has a USB connection?

All advertisments seem to point to the "Power Commander USB", but I'm thinking it might be nice to have the ignition adjustment too.

312-411
PC III USB $332.00
(Fuel only adjustment)

312-311
PC IIIr $403.00
(Fuel and Ignition adjustment)

TIA,

..., trip

PCIIIr is the one you want . I think that you can have fuel mixture adjustment done at the shop . The PC just allows you to adjust when ever you want to . I'm pretty sure that you can download different maps with a USB from your computer .

I'm  gonna think that it all depends on what you ultimately plan on doing mod wise.

If your not going to get too deep into motor mods ie; cams, pistons, turbo's ect... then, you may have no need for the 111r but, if down the road you end up getting into mods the require the timing to be advanced or, retarded at certian rpm's (turbo's for instance @ higher rpm's) then, it's pretty damn nice to already have it in place when it's time to alter the timing accordingly.
Imho

edit; there are many here that could explain it better I'm sure.

<!--EDIT|Bulldog 333
Reason for Edit: None given...|1102139429 -->

Yeah, PCIIIr
PM Johnnycheese for a price...
you'll be glad you did!
wink.gif

The USB designation appears to be so you can tell it apart from the IIIr. The USB really does have a USB port. The IIIr I'm running on the Harley has only a serial port. But they must make a IIIr with a USB port by now. That was a year ago...

The USB designation appears to be so you can tell it apart from the IIIr. The USB really does have a USB port. The IIIr I'm running on the Harley has only a serial port. But they must make a IIIr with a USB port by now. That was a year ago...
no timing yet but for some reason the Harleys usb's have timing

You only installed Yoshimura Bolt-ons?
I thought you didn't need a Power Commander for only Bolt-ons...

My Yosh dealer said they have a plugin box that can flash an update to the EMC to compensate for the cans and a sports filter (K&N ect), with the correct gear apprently you can make minor tweaks.

But from what I've seen, a 1 size fits all map is not always optimal.

Prolly better getting PCIIIr and get custom map done on the dyno.

I think any good tuner will tell you that a map that suits one bike may not be perfect for all, but may be a good starting point. You still may not be getting the best performance from a downloaded map.

Thanks to all for the input!

My '03 Busa was running rough ever since I bolted on the new exhaust. Not enough back preasure it seemed. I have not made a mod on the Pair Valve, nor have I added a TRE, so that may have been the issue.

Yes, something is necessary with just a set of bolt-on's.

I love the new sound and the extra power was undeniable, but the throttle was not as smooth and the bike was running very rich with a regular back fire while down shifting.

Johnny Cheese came through with a custom mapped Power Commander IIIr which cleared up the issues immediately.

Now I'm wondering about TRE's and Pair valves... ?

She's running so sweet, I can't imagine needing anything more.

I'll be reading the posts here on those subjects as well. If anyone has advice on either I'd love to hear it. Thanks again for all your help. Especially Johnny Cheese.

..., trip

<!--EDIT|trip
Reason for Edit: None given...|1103967664 -->

Back