Power commander problems

baldrick

Registered
Hi all, i'm new here, so bear with me.
I've got a Yr 2000 busa, which i have just fitted a full akropovic exhaust system, along with a PC 2.(99-01)
Went to the powertcommander site, and loaded all the busa maps to disc.Plugged in the computer and loaded the map for my set up (euro busa, akrapovic race system, and stock/ modded filter)
. The bike is running like a tractor up to 4.5-5K, after which it rides smoothly to 6K, where it takes off to about 8K, at which point it goes as if it has nitrous, to the redline)
It feels as if it is hunting, stumbling etc under 5K and sounds horrendous, as if it's lean.
I have tried to manually adjust the commander, but it's having none of it!It isn't working. I checked to see if the map had been uploaded, and it has. I tried other maps for other full systems, no change. In desperation i unplugged the PC and tried the stock cdi settings, still bad.
All the plugs look ok, the filter looks ok. fresh petrol, no change
Anybody got any ideas where i've gone wrong, or experienced similar problems?

Any help gratefully recieved
I'm getting tempted to put the stock exhaust back on

did you have the airbox off ?

my guess is you have a vacuum line off, or sensor disconnected

I had the airbox off, but only to check the plugs, after the bike was running rough. All the sensors and hoses were checked. It was not off prior to the poor running. It has only 7k on the engine, and ran faultlessly with the standard system. I fear that i may have disturbed something while fitting the exhaust. The only other thing that i have done during the exhaust change, was to drain the coolant and oil, and renew them, but this will not have affected the running of the bike.
I tried a few other maps, for other systems, but they were all pretty much the same.
I am wondering if there is a sure fire way of checking that the PC is working properly. I have simply checked that the map was loaded, tried another, checked that it was loaded, tried another, checked, and the computer says that it was loaded, but possibly the PC is not implementing the changes?
I dunno!!

Disconned the PC. If the bike still stumbles then it's not the PC, its something else. Start there then let us know.

It stumbled without the PC connected.
Excuse my ignorance, but what are the Pair block offs, and what is the pair valve?
If it is the flap inside the airbox, i havn't touched it

(baldrick @ Oct. 15 2006,16:04) It stumbled without the PC connected.
Excuse my ignorance, but what are the Pair block offs, and what is the pair valve?
Well that rules out the PC. It has to be something else that wasn't reconnected during the pipe instl. I'd retrace al my steps and check all electrical, vacuum and fuel lines.
I don't know if the pair valve would cause any problem like that or not. I removed mine when I installed my Akra.

Thanks, i will check the wiring & hoses.
The other problem is that the PC2 will not manually adjust.
I tried the holding the buttons down, flick the ignition, with the engine run switch on, but nothing. It stays at the lean end of the scale, and no amount of button pressing will make any difference.

(Greg B @ Oct. 15 2006,13:07)
(baldrick @ Oct. 15 2006,16:04) It stumbled without the PC connected.
Well that rules out the PC. It has to be something else that wasn't reconnected during the pipe instl. I'd retrace al my steps and check all electrical, vacuum and fuel lines.
I don't know if the pair valve would cause any problem like that or not. I removed mine when I installed my Akra.
there is a vac. line that runs to the pair valve (emission device) that must be plugged if the valve is removed

when you pulled your exhaust off,you were looking right at it,there are hard lines that run to each exh port,and a vac. line that runs to the valve itself,it is bolted on to the front of the motor

Ah, i see, i know what you mean now, yes!

I did not touch the valve, the pipes or the line from the filter box to the valve.

I did a search on the pair valve, but it is unclear whether i have to disconnect it?
Do i need to dis-connect this valve for the exhaust to work?
Is this where i am going wrong?
I also saw a thread about a "marble mod", as an option to removal of the pair valve. do i have to block the pipe from the right hand side of the airbox, to the pair valve?
Will the fact that the valve is still connected have caused the problems that i have been experiencing
?
This is all new to me, i'm used to carbs!!

the pair valve does not have to be disconnected

i think most people remove it alltogether when going to a aftermarket exh.system,they sell alum. plates that block the opening at the exhaust port,and plug the vac. line

i am not certain about the marble mod,my guess is that it is a way to disable the system,without going to the trouble of removing it (i removed mine alltogether)

i think you have a vac. line off somewhere....at idle/part throttle (high vac. situation) you have a problem,at full throttle (low to near o vac.) the bike runs good,correct ?

Yes correct, it seems to be between 2-5k that it is running unevenly, spluttering and bogging off the throttle.

I will not get a chance to check the vac pipes and electrical connections until mid week, but i will get back here
and let you know what i find.
I wish i had found this site earlier.
You guys are most knowledgable!
I thank you

I don't know if the PC 2 is the same as the PC usb but with mine I have to start the engine and then press all 3 buttons simultaneously. Then I can adjust the fuel map up or down.

I tried that as well, and the guage would not adjust, i thought that when i pressed all the buttons similtaneously the guage should automatically go to the middle of the scale, but nit was staying at lean, and would not move up the scale to richer when i pressed LOW, then clicked the button to try and make it richer.
I will check the hoses and connectors and go from there!

Baldrick,if you have a PC2,and installed a custom map,
and then fooled around with the "Buttons",you will
"Sideline"custom map,and return the PC2 to a "0"
map!...Re-install map that you have chosen for your
application,if you have a problem in a certain RPM
range,you can try another map....when you mess
with the buttons on a PC2 the map that was Previously
installed "Does not work in conjunction with" the buttons
you pressed!....ED

Baldrick,P.S.Also,when you mess with buttons on a PC2
and check to see if previous map is still there,you will
find NO CHANGE to map numbers,even if you made it richer or leaner with the buttons,the map #'s will not show change!...I had the same problem as you...
ran like CRAP between 2800-3500 rpm's,I had a custom
map,and it was rich in that area,so I tried a map from
dynojet (Powercommander)which was a little leaner in that area and it resolved the problem...but every bike,climate,& elevation is different!....ED

Okay, update time, tonight i took off the fairing panels, checked the hoses from the pair valve to air box, and the other hose from pair valve, all ok,

checked fuel hoses, not kinked, all ok, even startied it with the tank up.
dis-connected the battery for 5 minutes, and re-connected it, all ok,
cleared map from PC2, set "reset buttons", in options, which was allready default, and re-installed the map for the spec,
file uploaded and verified, so far so good, and........................................
Its still the same, aaaggghhhh!

Tomorrow, new plugs, check all the sensors, check all vacuum hoses, again, and if it still won't run cleanly, remove radiator, oil cooler, exhaust, re-fit standard exhaust, remove PC2, try standard set up and see how it goes.

I have a datatool alarm , would this cause interference with any electrical signals from the CDI?
I don't see how, as it ran perfect before i changed the exhaust/ PC2.

Is there anything else that you guys can think of?
Im sorry for being a pain, but this has got me stumped!

You said you installed the Euro map, Was there another one that was not for the euro bike. Thats the one you should use unless your bike did come from Europe. I believe that the Euro bikes have subtule differences for emmissions so they need different maps for them.
I would do the Marble mod with the new exhaust as well as a sm. air box mod. (I personally removed my pair valve)

If the bike is running lean the exhaust tip will be whitish, if rich it will be dark black and you should smell gas.

You should be able to completely remove the PC and the bike should run fine. It may run a little rich but it should idle and be pretty smooth all the way through the RPM range.

When you hooked up the PC did you have to splice it in or does it have plug ends? I would check all the hoses and wires in close proximity to where the PC plugs in.

Changing the exhaust back to stock shouldn't make any difference. Is the exhaust new? Does it have a rat living in it plugging it up?
wow.gif

Back