Power Commander PCIIIr verses PCIII

TechMaster

Registered
Probably a stupid question...

Since the PCIIIr version interfaces with ingnition timing also, does that eliminate the need for a TRE to reach top speed potential? Just curious, as I have no experience with Power Commanders. Thanks...

I know with the PCII and PCIII you would still need the TRE, but since the PCIIIr version is made to adjust the timing, wouldnt that be doing the same thing as a TRE then? If not, what would a person gain by going with the PCIIIr version for almost $150.00 more than the PCIII?

the rpm limiter is in 6th gear the tre makes the bike think its in 5th gear where there is no rpm limiter, and also there is no retarded timing in 5th gear so thats why it smothes out the lower gears

Understood. I think you are missing my question... Since the PCIIIr allows you to adjust timing in all gears, wouldnt that do the same thing as a TRE? The PCII and PCIII only allow for Fuel adjustments, but the PCIIIr allows for Timing adjustments as well.

Understood.  I think you are missing my question...  Since the PCIIIr allows you to adjust timing in all gears, wouldnt that do the same thing as a TRE?  The PCII and PCIII only allow for Fuel adjustments, but the PCIIIr allows for Timing adjustments as well.
You're exactly right about the differences between the PC3 and PC3r. Your bike has a GPS (gear position sensor) the sensor does NOT allow the motor to rev past 9,200 rpm in 6th gear. The TRE tricks the ECU into thinking its in 5th at all times. It just so happens the ignition map in 5th gear allows for smoother accleration and less abrupt on/off throttle feel in the lower gears.

So to answer your question. Yes, both affect timing although, the Power Commander does not affect the GPS sensor on your bike.

also, there's really no need to install a TRE unless you have topped your Busa in 6th and want more. Just my .02.

Dum ? #7......... is there much sense in getting a pc if you havent done any changes to the mill?

Your question was do you need a TRE. Worry about it once you hit 186mph (true) in the mean time you don't need it.

Sorry, The PCIIIr version is about $90.00 more than the PCIII, not $150.00 as I thought.
No it is 30.00 differance
280 for the usb (250 rpm mapping and seperate cyl mapping no timing)
310 for the R model (500 rpm mapping and timing)

What's a TRE?
rock.gif
?

I have only hit the 186 limit twice. I actually found that it stops me at about 180, and not 186. I would really like to make the 200MPH speed at least once, if for nothing more than to know that it will, and that I can/have before. I have also ran it on a dyno and showed 157HP and top speed of 181MPH. Only mods are yoshi exhaust, and pair valve removal. I ran the dyno just yesterday, and I do know know what the stock numbers would have been since that was the first time she has been on a dyno. Thanks everyone for the info you provided about the PCIIIr. I will also get a TRE then as well.

I have negotiated with the parts department at the place where i bought my busa. They are going to sell me the PCIIIr for $308.00 plus tax. This is far less than anywhere else I have found.

I explained that I bought a motorcycle in February, three helmets at nearly $300 each, and exhaust system for about $500 and several other misc items. I have also refered two friends to them, whom both purchased new bikes there. I just said that I am going to go with the cheapest dealer I can, and if they cant be more competitive I will take future business elsewhere. The Parts manager came out and looked at the PCIIIr I was wanting to order and simply asked me what I thought a fair price would be. I said less than $315.00 and he then sold it at cost for $308. Sorry for rambling, just thought I got a pretty good deal. It should be in within 3 - 5 days.
biggrin.gif

johny cheese for 310 tyd (pciiir).... i just bought one.... and btw thanks for all the info jc.
jose
smile.gif

Back