Power commander or exhaust first?

Rocker_on_Rocket

Registered
What comes first....the Chicken or the Egg? LOL

Your opinions please!! What should I do first?
Should I get a power commander first?
Or should I change my exhaust first?
As for what exhaust, I have narrowed it down to either the 2bros M5 shorties or the Brock Alienhead.
So should I get the Power commander first or the exhaust?
Cheers

exhaust first definitely..

power commanders can be found used and very cheap...I'd never buy a new one.

check the classifieds at Home - Psychobike Home or ask around.

bike will probably run fine without a power commander for its entire life.

however if it has a slight lean surge, you can map it out with a power commander

btw lean surges are your bike making power. Never heard of anyone having engine damage from adding an exhaust or slight mods of such nature.

If you're looking for a PCIII USB I've got one, virtually new, with everything that came in the box minus the box for sale. I'm willign to let it go pretty cheap too. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

If you're looking for a PCIII USB I've got one, virtually new, with everything that came in the box minus the box for sale. I'm willign to let it go pretty cheap too. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

I tried to PM you and it said your not reciving PM's... what do you want for it?

however if it has a slight lean surge, you can map it out with a power commander

btw lean surges are your bike making power. Never heard of anyone having engine damage from adding an exhaust or slight mods of such nature.

I like this guy,, seems to have a lot of knowledge. Let's keep him around! :thumbsup:

When I did mine I did both @ the same time I know from past experience if you do the exhaust first you will have issues JMO

When I did mine I did both @ the same time I know from past experience if you do the exhaust first you will have issues JMO

I havent had any problems with my 08 and my Muzzy has been on since 200 miles and I have 1700 now, I ordered my PC3 today!

I guess it depends on the exhaust, but a muzzy, brocks or other high performance pipe allows a lot more flow through the engine. My brocks dropped my O2 sensor and had my FI light on. The bike was running very lean. As recommended by brocks and the shop I quickly installed the PC. Now if you're installing slipons or an exhaust that has the fitting for the sensor, I'd say the Gen II takes care of it. If you have a Gen I I'm thinking PC with full system.

I guess it depends on the exhaust, but a muzzy, brocks or other high performance pipe allows a lot more flow through the engine. My brocks dropped my O2 sensor and had my FI light on. The bike was running very lean. As recommended by brocks and the shop I quickly installed the PC. Now if you're installing slipons or an exhaust that has the fitting for the sensor, I'd say the Gen II takes care of it. If you have a Gen I I'm thinking PC with full system.

what bike do you have that has an o2 sensor on it? 08++?

+1 on all but going with psychobike freind ran his 14 all year just pipe it ran good.THe mapping that comes with pipes is done little fat on purpose they dont want risk lean out 2 much and toast something.Im going get my bike dyno tuned mabe pick up a bit of power.

+1 on all but going with psychobike freind ran his 14 all year just pipe it ran good.THe mapping that comes with pipes is done little fat on purpose they dont want risk lean out 2 much and toast something.Im going get my bike dyno tuned mabe pick up a bit of power.

most bikes are mapped fat on the top end because EPA only checks them to certain rpm's....none of which are where the bike is making optimum power levels. But in the lower levels the bikes are already a bit lean...not dangerous lean but lean..

Adding a pipe and airbox mods can make the bike lean-er ...which results in a snappier or "surgy" nature.

is this where we tell him about the airbox(marble) mod????? its a must have on Gen. 1 with after-market exhaust and pcII or III

Hi there Wild! I saw your email reply and I replied back. I'm interested in buying. :-) Read your email for details.
Thanks! ;-)

Also want to thank those who posted for helping me along this upgrade path!

I'm also going to search the site for the airbox mod mentioned! :-)

i put a tsukigi on and was getting some deep backfiring. was told i could burn a piston. installed a bazzaz box, that was programmed by another member here. stopped the problem.
it'd prolly be best to do the box and pipe at the same time, or have the ecu flashed at the same time, at least

Exhaust first,dont see the need of a pc if its only slips ons.I changed from slip ons to single exhaust system love it till now:thumbsup:

Back