Power coating chrome

The Bus

Registered
<span style='color:darkred'>Does anyone know of any places on the east coast that does power coating over crome? A web site is fine also, if so please let me know, and if you have a pics of bike that they may have worked on that would be even better.......Have fun/Ride Hard, the summer is near</span>

The only place I know of is in Cali called sportchrome
http://www.sportchrome.com/ is the address my wheels are there now getting done. They seem like great guys and are very helpful. I can not speak from first hand knowledge yet but I understand that there quality is top notch and they stand behind there work.

If you mean powder coating there are several. Although I wouldn't reccomend doing it over chrome. However there is a chrome powdercoat now that looks great, and is so easy to mantain.

The only place I know of is in Cali called sportchrome
http://www.sportchrome.com/    is the address my wheels are there now getting done. They seem like great guys and are very helpful. I can not speak from first hand knowledge yet but I understand that there quality is top notch and they stand behind there work.
I agree with Race24X. I had them do all my chrome work. Jonathan is a real nice guy, so is his staff. I would give them a thumbs up if you'd like.

Brian

One other thing about Jonathan Reed and SportChrome. Think about this: I live in Louisiana. I have a chromer here in my hometown. There is also a decent chromer in Houston, TX, which is only 2hrs away from me. Jonathan's honesty, service, and word-of-mouth advertising is what made me choose his business. He seems to stand behind his work, and his eagerness to help and honesty is what stood out the most for me. Just my .02, but it can sometimes be worth a million bucks.

Brian

Hey BA I thought they where great over the phone too I cant give you first hand knowledge of the process. But I will put the pictures on the board before I put them on the bike and after so you guys can judge for yourself

Hey Guys thanks for the info... this was on my list to do on the bike. just made things easier for me.

Thanks for everyone getting back to me. I will look at all options, and exhaust all my options........200HP do you know of anyplace that does the chrome powder coat? If so please let me know.

If I remember correctly, I think SportChrome does powder coating also.

Brian

I'll be offering Powdercoating services this fall.

I'll be offering Powdercoating services this fall.
Damn Rhythm, is there anything you CAN'T do?
rock.gif
I would love to see a pic of your bike. Since you do all this stuff, your bike must be DA BOMB!! Wish I had the skills and creativity like that. I especially like the chain guard light
cool.gif

Brian

can chrome be powder coated?
rock.gif
powder coating involves sprayin sum color while chargin the piece with juice rite? But GOOD chromin is a few step process that DIPS the parts in copper,nickel,etc etc . Can we now powder coat chrome???

or are u askin' if u can powder coat over chrome ? My guess is u cant . U can however DE-chrome sumthin . But its expensive . Then do whatever u want to it , paint , pc , polish , whatever .

I think you can powdercoat almost anything...the question is weather it will adhere to the surface well.

When you powdercoat somehting you spray on an electrotstatically charged ..um..well..powder. then you het it to a curing temp. the powder basically melts and then cures kinda like an enamel paint. They make translucent, florecent (sp), metallic, chameleon powdercoats...It's a straightforward process and reasonably easy if you have a dust free place to spray the parts.

There are some challenges applying heat tho...what it if you want to do a whole frame...you can cure it in sections with an infrared lamp, but it'll take you a while (like 30-45 mins a section) or you could have a big oven (read big $$$). But you can do little pieces in a toaster over...of course it wouldn't be much good for toast after that.

Not to take away from the people that do it...there is an investment in equipment, but a starter spraying setup is less thtn $200 bucks. But then you need powder, a place to cure it, a compressor and other littel odds and ends. So, if you want to change the color of your bar ends...this probably isnt and economical do it yourself thing. If you want ot do a whole bike, or start a business...that's another story.

they have to sand blast the chrome off before they powder coat it. i had my rims on my last bike go from chrome to a gloss black powdercoat. you want to sand blast to start on a pure surface the chrome might start peeling under the powdercoat and mess you whole project up, that would be an expensive mistake.

I agree with Cisco on that one. It would be best to sell your chrome parts to someone who wants to buy/exchange them with you and start from there if you want to powder coat something.

I seen some of the powder coated chrome stuff and I thought it looked very good. One of the things I really liked about the powder coated chrome was that its suppose to be more durable and less resistant to chipping than the regular chroming process.

Back