Powder coating vs Chrome Plating

rrookey

Donating Member
Registered
pirate.gif
I have a friend that just purchased a powder coating system, the compy that sold him the unit offers a Chrome/Silver powder coating. has anyone had any experance with this.... is it worth trying on bike parts....
brackets, rearwards, swing arm, wheels?
rock.gif
jump9.gif

poke.gif

I've seen the silver/chrome powder. It looks good, but not as good as chrome. Kinda looks like a polished product. I think with it you have to clear powder over it, and that's where it gets tricky to do.

How about powder coating to simulate Gold anodizing[/Quote]

I know there were several different metallic powders and even candies you can get, and they look pretty good when you can get them done right. Nothing looks as good as the real thing though.

(thebbbusa @ Oct. 13 2006,13:24) I've seen the silver/chrome powder.  It looks good, but not as good as chrome.  Kinda looks like a polished product.  I think with it you have to clear powder over it, and that's where it gets tricky to do.
Exactly +1 The chrome look powders are close to polished and do dull up over time. You'll find most durable coats are black and solid colors.

The translucent powders look amazing over chrome. Better than anodizing. More durable too.. Tiger Dryloc has great powders.

Powder coating color varies with the powder manufacture.

Here are some pictures from my powder coater. This finish is called "almost chrome" and does not have a chrome finish at all.

It is exactly what I wanted however. Shown on clutch cover.

how ya doin grab?
wink.gif

runeight...

"I can't seem to upload to this site today therefore..no pics!"

I've seen some translucent powder coat over polished aluminum that looked great. Actually, it looked better than some of the best anodizing work I have seen.

(Professor @ Oct. 14 2006,08:44) I've seen some translucent powder coat over polished aluminum that looked great. Actually, it looked better than some of the best anodizing work I have seen.
my buddy did mine with the chrome powdercoat, then the candy red over it, then cleared it. looks amazing

can u guys get some pictures of some of this trick work i need to look it over, im trying to find someone to trade their LE silver wheels for my black 06 wheels but am nt having any luck. so im thinking of having mine powder coated silver, what do yall think about that?
rock.gif

Here is some translucent red powder on polished aluminum. You should have your stuff chromed then coated in translucent. It looks amazing. Btw, this was a custom RC truck I built some time ago.

DSC01054.JPG

Back