Powder coating the frame

jasa

Registered
Hi,

Hello from other side of pond...

I'm planning to powder coat my busa frame black and I have some questions for you.

I tried to search some threads over here but did not find answer for my questions - so yet another thread about painting frame black.

Some friends of mine have powder coated they frame and there has been some problems with some cleaning liquids. Liquids they have used has dissolved the painting. Some others in turn have not had any problems.

I guess that is it up to type of powder coat been used - epoxy, polyester etc..

Does anyone of you have any idea which one to use to get good and durable painting, without any surprises later on?

And another question - what is the gloss level which should be used? I'm trying to copy same level as Suzuki has originally in K6 LE or K7 models. Is it something like 20%
rock.gif

And Happy New Year for everyone.

PS: my bike is already in bits and pieces - needs just removing chain and swing.

Welcome to the oRg. I cant answer all of your questions, however, if you have an item powder coated, the paint is baked on and virtually trouble free from then on. If your friends are using liquids that dissolve powder coated finishes, they are using way too harsh of a chemical on their bikes to start with. If you want to paint your frame, and not powder coat, then start with a good gloss paint and finish to taste. You can sand and clear coat to get the finish you want. Again, welcome, and good luck.

Welcome to the .org. Vic_E55_2001 is our guy for powdercoating and should respond once he reads your post. Agree with TTE that the chemicals must be very harsh to dissolve the powdercoat or the process was not done correctly.

I would talk to the folks that are powder coating your frame and ask them about surface preparation.

My '86 has a powder coated frame and swingarm. Coater told me that sportbike frames have a tendency to "outgas".It is beacause of the alloy and porosity of the metal used. And the correct preperation is essential to a good final product that will last many years. Moral is; only use a good tried and true reputable powder coater for your pride and joy.One that is known for doing bike work.

My '86 has a powder coated frame and swingarm. Coater told me that sportbike frames have a tendency to "outgas".It is beacause of the alloy and porosity of the metal used. And the correct preperation is essential to a good final product that will last many years. Moral is; only use a good tried and true reputable powder coater for your pride and joy.One that is known for doing bike work.
Your powdercoater exactly right. Cast aluminum MUST be cleaned and preheated to 400 degree Fahrenheit.

and sprayed when hot. Epoxy is NOT UV safe and will deteriorate when exposed to sunlight.

I`d use polyurethane powder on the frame.

Back