Powder coating over chrome

Not resomended by most but I have done it with great results. I took a bunch of chromed Harley parts and powder coated them. I had a problem with one piece because the base plating had an air pocket in it and it expanded causing a bubble. It looks real cool when you do the candy colors over the chrome. Makes it look anodized.
Hope that helps

Not resomended by most but I have done it with great results. I took a bunch of chromed Harley parts and powder coated them. I had a problem with one piece because the base plating had an air pocket in it and it expanded causing a bubble. It looks real cool when you do the candy colors over the chrome. Makes it look anodized.
Hope that helps
Yeah That helps thanks, I have some chrome parts that are in perfect condition that would probably powder coat well but for the parts that have some chips it would probably be best to get the chrome off. Does anybody know what methods or who strips chrome

It looks real cool when you do the candy colors over the chrome. Makes it look anodized.
Sure does until if chips. Chrome is not the best primer for PC or paint. You can sandblast chrome first and PC will stick forever.

Don't waste your time trying to strip the chrome. The best way to get it done is exactly the way the chrome guy is going to do it-- he's going to dip the part in a chrome stripping tank. If the chrome is good, sand blasting, etc is a major wasted effort, a chroming is a electro-chemical bond process and wicked chemicals is the only good way to remove, in my experience.

It looks real cool when you do the candy colors over the chrome. Makes it look anodized.
Sure does until if chips. Chrome is not the best primer for PC or paint. You can sandblast chrome first and PC will stick forever.

Don't waste your time trying to strip the chrome. The best way to get it done is exactly the way the chrome guy is going to do it-- he's going to dip the part in a chrome stripping tank. If the chrome is good, sand blasting, etc is a major wasted effort, a chroming is a electro-chemical bond process and wicked chemicals is the only good way to remove, in my experience.
Thanks for the help. So you recommend that I find somebody to chemically strip the chrome? Do you know any companies

Not necessary if chrome is not pitched/bubbled, you can sandblast it or even use 800 sandpaper and scrub it real good.
Then wash it with strong degreaser and scotch bright pad.

What part r u talking about?

Not sure if this info will prove helpful, but there was someone on this or another Busa board that had his rims chromed then had the center PC'd or baked on type paint by himslef or someone else. He ended up having problems with bubbling of the chrome and they wouldn't warranty it cause of what he had done to it. Didn't bubble/pit where he had changed it to blue however. Just some food for thought.

Good luck on your venture and don't forget the Pics!

I agree that it is cool until it chips. I did the primary cover and the timing covers for my Harley. It has been 2 years and have not had a problem. But like I said not recommended by most. I was just telling about my experience with powder coating.

You can test you chrome if it`s gonna bubble or not. Just put you part in the 400F oven.
Other then that chrome is no different as another metal. I`d recommend preheat it really well before spraying powder.

Polish and powder is nice.
cool.gif

I've seen it ona few bikes up close and if doen right they look sick...
bowdown.gif

Back