Powder Coating Help

Southside Playa

Master Pot-Stirrer
Donating Member
Registered
To truly get the full black on black experience on my 02, I have decided to powder coat my rearsets and footpegs. debated long about doing the chrome thing again, and I decided otherwise. My question is how do you get around the rubber material on the pegs, that wont make it through the pc baking process? I dont necessarily want new pegs, so what do I do?

Also can anyone send a good link for license plate brackets.

Any help is gladly appreciated. I ain't that smart when it comes to some of this stuff. But I do have a busa, so I ain't too stupid either !!

YO pimp i got some stuff powdercoated black. the rubber will make it through the baking process and be hard as hell when you get it back. I didnt my and they still work and function. You know that little piece of rubber on the shift lever. Yup poweder coated that too. if you want to see some pics let me know

All the rubber on the rear sets and front pegs will come off simply by dismantling them and in the case of the bushings, pressing them out.  As far as the rear pegs go, I removed the rubber when I had mine powdercoated and like the look much better without the rubber.  Just some advise, take a torch or something and slightly heat the peg before removing the rubber.  The first side I tugged and pulled then had to work to remove the left glue and stuff.  Heated the second side and it pulled off easily and cleanly.

I would NOT recommend powdercoation over the rubber.

But thats/s just my .02

Only pic I can find that shows any sort of close-up of the peg

rearpeg.gif

Yup groves right on the rubber. Only prob i see is when its wet out and you have a passanger their foot may slip

IMAG0083.JPG

Yup groves right on the rubber.  Only prob i see is when its wet out and you have a passanger their foot may slip
Hey Him..........Just curious how many other sportbikes you've seen with rubber coating on the pegs?

So far my opinion has been positive, the powdercoat has held up well with no chipping or wear after about 1500 miles on them, and most of that was 2up, so there were feet on those rear pegs.

Say, Him, post some pics

So the pegs already have the grooves in them under the rubber?
Yes, the pegs already have a cross-hatched groove pattern under the rubber which is what the rubber adheres to.  In my opinion the peg without the rubber is so much cleaner looking.

I kept the rubber with plans on glueing them back after powdercoat, but after seeing them with just powdercoat, there was no way I was putting that crap back on.

<!--EDIT|mzrsq
Reason for Edit: None given...|1105500353 -->

Yup groves right on the rubber.  Only prob i see is when its wet out and you have a passanger their foot may slip
Hey Him..........Just curious how many other sportbikes you've seen with rubber coating on the pegs?
i havent really seen any other sports bikes with powdercoated pegs. Everyone goes for the chroming. Im not trying to pursuade him one way or the other i just told him what i did and how i felt...in the end it all depends on what he wants to do.

Back