Powder coating bullets

StromBusa

Registered
I finally got around to trying the powdercoating....so far, so good...easy peasy..

007.jpg

009.jpg

Why powder coat them? And would increasing the diameter not cause binding in the barrel? Excuse me, but I have not heard of this before.

This is interesting. What is intended purpose and supposed benefit from doing this?
Also curious on how the PC reacts to being 'blown up' and shot down a barrel. What kind of residue and how difficult to remove is it?

When you cast lead bullets ("boolits"), it is typical to cast them in a mould, size them through a die, and lube them. It is also possible to "lube & size" in one operation. The lead bullets are restricted in speed, you need copper gas checks, fancy lubes, alloys, etc.. to get higher velocities. The dudes over at "cast boolits" figured out that you can powder coat the bullets, then simply size & shoot, skipping the messy lubes. They are getting high velocities without leading bores. I am experimenting. The pics show the cast lead boolits on non stick foil, and then subsequently when I sprayed them with the Harbor freight powder coat gun & cooked them for 10 mins @ 400 degrees & water quenched them... I will size them through my RCBS lubesizer without lube, load them up & try them out. 200 grain 45ACP made from old wheel weights. Next up 300AAC blackout, .223 without jackets.... I was talking about it in another thread a while back.

Why powder coat them? And would increasing the diameter not cause binding in the barrel? Excuse me, but I have not heard of this before.

The powder coating is so tenacious that you can run the coated bullets through the sizing dies without damage to the coating.

I do the reloading & casting, etc. more as a hobby then a cash savings...however the Harbor Freight powdercoat gun is only ~$50 bucks & a pound of powdercoat is $4 to $12. I paid another $40 for the convection oven. Aside form the initial outlay, I can make bullets to burn way cheaper then buying jacketed these days. I paid allot for Lyman moulds, RCBS reloading equipment, etc.. but I am comfortable that I will pay it back, & still have it available for posterity. I spend allot more on guns....:lol:

This is interesting. What is intended purpose and supposed benefit from doing this?
Also curious on how the PC reacts to being 'blown up' and shot down a barrel. What kind of residue and how difficult to remove is it?

I am no expert as I have yet to try them, however they guys @ cast boolits are delighted to not have leading issues...someone had trouble running a beltfed & is going back to jackets, suppressors can get some "gunk" buildup. I want to work out the details because gas checks ar not so good for suppressors, and I want to shoot 300AAC at ~2300. However, some of the powdercoat guys are seating a crimp style gascheck, then powder coating over the od & it 'welds" the gascheck so it cannot come off into your can... .223 anyone? I'm stoked about the whole thing. Another guy received fringe benefits from making pink bullets for his GF...:laugh:

Very interesting idea - reduces/eliminates smoke and lead fouling (I have tried conventional sized and lubed cast bullets in .45 Colt and .45-70 - with mixed results).

Back