Potential Craigslist Scam?

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
So, the other day I got in my mind I'd like a track bike and was just kinda looking thru Craigslist to see what might be out there. I ran upon an add in posted in AL for a 2007 R1 for $3900 - too good to be true, right? So I sent an email to the buyer (cut/pasted below). After the below email traffic, I said no way I'll never send money sight unseen. Thought you'd find it interesting I may post same to R1 board what do you guys think?

P.S. As of today the pics are still up, but the ad is gone.

------------------------------------
On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Keith wrote:

Saw your craigslist ad. Mileage? Additional pics? That's a very reasonable price compared to other 2007s. Got title?

Thanks

--------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 15:53:56 -0700
To:
Subject: Re: 2007 R1

Hello,
First of all I want to thank you for your interest for my bike. I sell at this price ($3900) because i just finished the divorce with my husband. When the divorce has finished I own this bike. Now as a women i don't need it and I need money for other things. This bike is in excellent working conditions, no scratches, flaws or any kind of damage, slightly used in 100% working and looking conditions and comes with a clear title.From the beginning you have to know that for the payment I request only secure pay, I prefer the payment to be done using eBay services. As I know that my current situation is pretty special I want the deal closed only through eBay's Buyer Protection Program in order for me and you to be 100% protected.The final price that I want for this bike is $3900. If you will take it for this price, I am willing to handle the shipping.Please get back to me asap if you decide to buy, and include in your e-mail your full name and address where you want it shipped so I can start the deal with eBay. You will receive all the transaction payment and shipping details from them.
I will wait your answer(if you are interested to buy) very soon.
You can see more pictures by click on the link below:
r1ffjh - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Best Regards,
Kelly Jones

--------------------

On 10/11/08, Keith wrote:
Kelly, thank you for the prompt response. I am truly sorry for your loss, as no one gets married hoping to divorce.

I would not purchase sight unseen. I am not comfortable or skilled with ebay buyer protection, but I can do better than that. Instead of shipping, I will pick up the bike, a face-to-face transaction is always better. We can meet at a dealership if you are more comfortable with that or any other location of your choosing. I can either a) bring you a money order b) a cashiers check drawn on Bank of America or c) cash. If you have proper proof of clear title, I can draw up a bill of sale. If there is a Bank of America in your area; after inspection I would be glad to meet you there, and transfer the funds to the account of your choice under the watchful eye of the branch manager. Just as you are concerned for not getting scammed, so am I.

Thanks!

------------
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 11:21:32 +0300
To:
Subject: Re: 2007 R1

Hi,
year :2007 - VIN: JYARN20E67A004652 - 1,330 miles - Engine size 1000cc
r1ffjh - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The bike is already at the shipping company in Pensacola, FL sealed and ready for the shipping.I'm very busy with my job so this is the reason why I chose to sell my bike over the internet. I have a contract with eBay so this deal must go through them.According with the eBay you have 5 days from the time you receive the bike to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not.Here is how it will work:
1.First of all I will need the following details from you:
- Full Name
- Full Shipping Address
2. After I will receive the details from you, I will forward them to eBay.
3. After they will process your info, they will send you the invoice. In the invoice you will receive the details on how to make a refundable payment.
4. eBay will contact me and I will ship the bike to you. After you receive the bike you will have 5 days to test, verify and do whatever you need to the bike. If you will buy, then I will receive the payment from eBay .
5. If you will decide that you will not buy the bike, eBay will refund the money and I will have the shipping company come pick up my bike.Please get back to me asap if you decide to buy, and include in your e-mail your full name and address where you want it shipped so I can start the deal with eBay. You will receive all the transaction payment and shipping details from them. I look forward to hear from you.
Best Regards,
Kelly

----------------------------

I'm sorry Kelly, without the availablity to inspect prior to purchase and verify ownership, I am not interested regardless of the price. Best of luck.

P.S. I just played with 'her' some more, asking for name/phone of shipping company to veryify possession...

Good catch. Is it just me or does her first letter sound a lot like the "I am an african princess that needs your help and you will get 50 gajillion dollars for your trouble..." letters?

Scammers suck

I hate scammers, I always give them the local Police dept. address & phone # for further contact info.

"I am a single lonley housewife and I am in need of cash bad! I finally divorced my husband who beat me an treated me terribly and I got his nice shiney scooter. I was hoping to sell this for way less than it's worth, just so that I can give some really nice hayabusa owner a great deal. I will not meet you anywhere and if you could just send me money, I will be sure to send the scooter as soon as I am not busy with work or busy spending your money. Thanks for being a peach!"

What a joke, show me the bike and I got the cash!

What really sucks about this is this could actually be legit but due to other dumba*s scammers you will have to pass to insure you dont get screwed.

Does sound to good and conveinant for her though. I wonder if there is a way to contact Ebay and find out what she means by has a deal with Ebay ?

I got the same response from the same person on a different bike 2007 gsxr1000 word for word.
she would not call me back but she would return emails.so I sent an email letting her know I had cash in hand & would pick up the bike now give an adress.where she replied the bike is in virginia crated up & ready to ship as soon as she recieved payment.mind you this is listed craigslist in CA.(inland empire)so I replied with due to you being full of s**t I have to decline...thanks

P.S. I just played with 'her' some more, asking for name/phone of shipping company to veryify possession...

i think i looked at this same setup a few weeks back. check it out:
<pasted from my emails>
Hello and thank you for your e-mail.
This is the second time when I am trying to sell my bike. First time I tried eBay,cause i am using their services since 2003.Because all the time I use only 100% safe methods I sent the bike through eBay Vehicle Protection Program to a buyer from Alaska.I paid all the shipping fees from my own pocket and when eBay have requested the payment the buyer have refused to pay because his loan had been rejected.I don't know what else I can say now... I am really upset with the situation.I don't have time to waste with another auction or anything else. We can have this done via eBay,cause the bike is still in their custody.
2000 Suzuki GSX-R in excellent working condition, no scratches, flaws or any kind of damage, slightly used in 100% working and looking conditions with a clear title ready to be signed and notarized.
13,600 miles,750 cc,Sport bike,
eBay will keep us safe and i will not be worried, and i guess that you won't be worried either.
The price ($2.600.00) includes all the taxes and fees, therefore you don't have to worry about anything of this matter. The delivery will be completed in max 2-3 days.
Should you find that the bike is not as I've described it, you can return it to me on my expense. NO QUESTIONS ASKED.
Let me know if you are still interested.
Thank you!

<after a couple quick questions from me>

The bike is already at the shipping company in San Jose,CA ,sealed and ready for the shipping. I have a contract with eBay so this deal must go through them.I'm very busy with my job and I'm left out of the town so I can't meet in person with you,this is the reason why I chose to sell my bike over the internet. According with the eBay you have 5 days from the time you receive the bike to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not.
Here is how it will work:
1.First of all I will need the following details from you:
- Full Name
- Full Shipping Address
2. After I will receive the details from you, I will forward them to eBay.
3. After they will process your info, they will send us both invoices. The invoice will show you the details on how to make a refundable payment.
4. eBay will contact me and I will ship the bike to you. After you receive the bike you will have 5 days to test, verify and do whatever you need to the bike. If you will buy, then I will receive the payment details from eBay so that I can pick up the money.
5. If you will decide that you will not buy the bike, eBay will refund the money and I will have the shipping company come pick up my bike.Please get back to me asap if you decide to buy, and include in your e-mail your full name and address where you want it shipped so I can start the deal with eBay. You will receive all the transaction payment and shipping details from them.
Best Regards,
IRWIN L.

So what are they trying to pull? If you follow along far enough do they send you a link for a Ebay spoof site to get your account info? All I see they trolling for in these messages is your name and address, which I wouldn't give them anyway, but is easily found. What am I missing? ???

Spectre - too close to be random wording - totally a scam. Man, I wish I had some FBI buddies that could play this one thru and catch the bum; wonder how may people have fallen for this?

That was a very weak ass scam. Completely obvious. the wording alone is a dead give away. The first sentence or 2 was all you really need to read :laugh: they aren't gonna reel many fish in with that stinky ass bait. They need to at LEAST get a lady to write the ad....and someone who actually has a decent grip on the english language. People get so determined to WANT deals like this to be real that they forge ahead, almost trying to will it to be true. Thats why scammers similair to these keep trying...there's always a sucker out there willing to go against all rationale thought. People are strange :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hey I was involved in the same scam. I was looking for a car for my daughter, 02 hoda accord 32000 mi. To good to be true but hey ya never know. It was almost exactly the same, in Pens. Fla. I told her I would drive down to see the car and bring it back, no already at the shippers boxed up. send money..bla bla bla...also another but different, a soldier stationed in Afganastan, wifey brought car over but taxes too expensive. Send paypal money and he will ship anywhere in the world by, get this, US military transport. A month later a freind of mine called me and said same add on craigs but it was a diff car now. Be carefull on Craigs, if you cant see it you never will...Mike.

Back