Pot calling the kettle...

Datsun350Z

Registered
I finally got the busa listed on craigslist.

I got an offer for a trade for an 01 TL1000R. :laugh:

Trying to be nice, and since I only really need $2k cash right now I said I would take the trade if he gave me less than the difference in KBB value, which is roughly $3k. Even though I don't want a "custom tl1000R" It would be nice not to miss a week of riding.

Here is how the conversation went:

if you still have the 04 busa would you be interested in a trade for a custom 01 tl1000r. it has a new motor, tons and tons of mods, fresh paint, hid's, led's, clear clutch cover, and much more.
PLEASE LET ME KNOW EITHER WAY
thanks
matt

The difference in book value is $2800
If you could cover $2500 of that I might be able to trade.
Chris

how can you go by book value when none of the mods are factored? how can guys sell busas for 15-30 plus grand when they are 10, 500 new? i understand you thinking, however i do not agree with it. if that is what it would take to make a trade then i am sorry for wasting your time. if you wanna take alook at my bike and then tell me it is only worth book value than you let me know.

At this point I want to tell the guy off and mention that unless he is stretched with a wide rear tire, he won't be able to make up the difference in value, and since that isn't my style I wouldn't want it anyway.

Ok, I'll bite... what mods do you have that make your bike worth double KBB value? :laugh:
My bike is worth well over book value also.

Send me some pics and a list of mods.

here is a link to my cl post
01 suzuki tl1000r for sale or trade

(Pasted body of CL ad)
like the title says 2001 suzuki tl1000r v-twin superbike for sale for 5k cash or trade for a gen 1 hayabusa, gixxer 1k, or nice fast mustang must be 5 speed. the bike has custom paint, powdercoated frame and wheels and other various parts. custom seat, hotbodies undertail with clear alternatives integrated led turn, clear clutch cover with billet annodized pressure plate and amber led's all around. also has 6,000k dual hi and lo hid's from ddm tuning. performance mods as follows: totally overhauled engine over the winter, (new rings, new bearings, new oil pump, new camchains and tensioners and guides, cylinder heads were completely redone, new guides, new seals and a fresh valve job and resurfaced. motor has about 1500 miles on it now. the airbox has been modified to flow the maximum amount of air, has a bmc race air filter, dual m4 titanium exhaust, power commander 2 with custom map, smart timing retard eliminator and newer clutch with barnett springs. chain and sprockets have the same mileage as the engine( 530 did gold with 17/41 sprockets) also has a cbr rear shock with a new spring, revalved over the winter. too much time and too much money invested in this monster to let it go for this but it is time for something new for me.
please respond to : (Email removed by me)

it has all the info you will need. if you would like more pics i can provide them for you as well. the only reson i have it up for 5k cash is because i have a friend that will sell me his busa for 5 cash. if you want to talk text or call me at 484xxxxxxx. thanks.

Looking at his mod list I don't see anything that even adds to the value.
Aside from the power commander and exhaust, all of his mods are worth nothing, and would make me hesitant to buy the bike in the first place.

Is it me, or is the guy who can't understand how a well put together, stretched, slammed, big tire, turbo busa with $25k in mods can sell for $15k trying to sell his bike with maybe $1k in actual mods, 3 hours of DIY mods, and a rebuilt engine and clutch (listed as performance mods :laugh: ) for $2k more than it's worth?

P.S. where did mattstang go?
I can't find him on the user list.
I had suspicions that this is him, email is stangman, and name is matt, I also remember him being close to me, possibly in PA.

Sorry for the super long post, I'm just confused by his reasoning.
He was polite, and didn't try to insult me so I'm not going to reply and be rude, I'll just vent here instead :beerchug:

Last edited:
the bike has custom paint You dropped it and repainted it, no value

powdercoated frame and wheels and other various parts
Cost you some cash, I'll give you $100 extra for it.

custom seat Aftermarket seat = good, Custom seat = pain ?

hotbodies undertail with clear alternatives integrated led turn, Ok.. $25

clear clutch cover with billet annodized pressure plate and amber led's all around.
Rice, but I'll allow $50

6,000k dual hi and lo hid's from ddm tuning. I Hate HID, you pay me $100 for when the ballast blows at night

performance mods as follows: totally overhauled engine over the winter, (new rings, new bearings, new oil pump, new camchains and tensioners and guides, cylinder heads were completely redone, new guides, new seals and a fresh valve job and resurfaced. motor has about 1500 miles on it now. This is not performance, and you did it because your engine blew, not because you had an extra $2k to throw at your TL

the airbox has been modified to flow the maximum amount of air, has a bmc race air filter
So, you swiss cheesed your airbox to allow more hot air in? AWESOME!

dual m4 titanium exhaust Okay, we finally found a mod with resale value!$500

power commander 2 with custom map Sorry, but I don't trust your tune if you blew your motor once already, $250, minus $100 for a new tune

smart timing retard eliminator OMGVTEC TRE!

newer clutch with barnett springs. worth $50 if you can prove it.

530 did gold with 17/41 sprockets (1500 miles) Find me a bike or a 90's rapper without a gold chain

has a cbr rear shock with a new spring, revalved over the winter. So... you bought a used CBR shock? ???

intresting....walk away.

Agreed!!!! Walk away!! Apperantly he also thinks that all the TIME he spent doing these minor mods should be worth something because it saves YOU the time from doing them yourself!
But thats in his own little world.

Datzun
I gotta hand it to you buddy,,your a real pieace of work,,,LOL {In a goodway]
Im sitting in in pain from a screwed up hip surgery,,and I havent laughed this much in a while,,,I think you read into his post correctly,,,Keep your busa,,I enjoyed your post,,thanks ,,BTW no offense to anyone here,,I love all scooters,,,but a 1000 vtwin to me isnt a superbike,,I see alot of guys building them up to be one,,but in the end,,they look for a busa,,and will take a stock one over a mod 1000,,,,,,,,please ,,take no offence ,anyone,,I read where ducati or bmw made a superbike vtwin,,pretty impressive,,,But I unbiasly prefer the busa,,and the niji1400 ,,looks like they stole the busa's design,,it appears that they did this after their 1200[with more horse power and lighter weight ] still couldnt beat the busa in the 1/4,,,,,I saw where they did a wind tunnel test on the 1200,,,,what held it back was too much drag........dont get me wrong,,i like them all,,,i'd love to take a zr1000 for a rip,,,ive been on the R1,wasnt impressed,,,and I liked the look of that one,,,but the busa,,IMO is nasty fast,,and handles really sweet for a beast,in the twisties,,,,,

Ok, I'm glad i'm not off base on this one.

Bobber, glad I could be of service. :beerchug:

The only other thing I can think of is asking him for the paint code, maybe it has real gold flakes in it ???

Mattstang changed his name to M_Ridgeway . Don't know why ?
Bike with mods not done by a well known shop worth or worthless I'd walk away !

Back