Posted speed limits in turns

E Zurcher

Registered
I am having a debate with a friend.

Normally, hard speed limits are posted in black on white signs and turns are posted in black on yellow.

Black on yellow are normally caution or advisory signs and black on white are hard limits.

My buddy says you are okay if you don't slow down to the posted signs in the turns as long as you don't exceed the black and white sign posted limit so a cop can't do anything to you.

I say it doesn't matter because a cop and write you for unsafe speed based on his judgement. That yellow sign just backs him up.

BTW our basic rule of thumb is you can take a turn at least double the advised speed.

I think you are both right, but I am not in LE in any shape or form. From what I gather, you are right that the white/black signs are the speed limit and which is not to be exceeded. Although, he is right the the yellow/black signs in turn are advisory/safe travel warning speeds, but merely advisories. If the speed limit is 55 and you go through a turn that has a yellow/black sign with a 35 posting at 55, you are within the boundaries of the law. But, you are right that a LE officer could stop you for unsafe speeds or reckless driving or something.

Generally, I pay attention to the yellow/black signs, but am almost always going faster than what they have posted.

The yellow signs are a warning that the curve may be too fast for the speed limit. They are not the speed limit. The white signs are the ones you have to adhere to.

The I25/I40 interchange in Albuquerque is posted at 35 when going southbound 25 to eastbound 40. The straights are posted at 65. It's a blast to do the inside/outside/inside line around cars in that turn at 65-70+. My buddy takes it around 80+ and that's way to fast for me.

White / Black the law, yellow advised.... The only time an LEO can make a ticket stick is if the speed is unsafe for the roadway. As an example, just because the interstate signs show 70mph normally if there is a snowstorm or heavy rain then 70 would not be considered a safe speed. If the road is clear, weather is normal then the yellow signs are just a suggestion...

cap

Around here, whatever the sign says, goes. My wife was running the posted speed limit, hit water running across a dry road, spun out and got a ticket for unsafe speed. She still gets mad at the mention of it. I pull my bikes in an RV and those "curve" speed limit signs are pretty close. I can do without seeing a bar sticking out of the side window after going around one. On the bike, I use the "shoe" method. When the side of my foot drags, that's fast enough :) We get at least 11 and usually 15 (MPH) on the limits though, except in school zones, which are strict. Not to mention, nearly double the price. The biggest thing around here is alcohol and no refusal. They just draw blood, like it or not.

Y'all have a safe weekend.

It depends on the state as to how much over the yellow signs you can go. Some states are more conservative regarding what they think is safe than others.

White / Black the law, yellow advised.... The only time an LEO can make a ticket stick is if the speed is unsafe for the roadway. As an example, just because the interstate signs show 70mph normally if there is a snowstorm or heavy rain then 70 would not be considered a safe speed. If the road is clear, weather is normal then the yellow signs are just a suggestion...

cap

And, since "unsafe" is discretionary, they can make almost any ticket stick if the judge agrees with their discretion. And, of course, if there's an accident of ANY kind, it is assumed that the speed was unsafe...even if you're doing the limit or less. Similar to hitting someone from the rea - Regardless of what the person in front may have done, if you hit them then it is assumed you were going "too fast for the situation".

Just remember: The money makes the rules, and the rules make the money. :?

One good thing about New Mexico. It's like the wild west out here. Cops leave you alone unless you are really being a jerk.

Soo...i wonder if I drag a knee thru a turn within the posted speed limit - do I still get a ticket? :)

in Canada at least he yellow signs are advisories for cars in perfect conditions. they suggest truckers slow down even more, which they never do. I often wonder who and when those limits were created. a couple years back all the highways speed limits got bumped to 110 kph in Canada but the corner signs remained the same. if those speeds were determined in the 40's-50's it stands to reason that modern cars and bike can blow them away and not even break a sweat. I agree most modern drivers need a bolt gun to the forehead but that's a different thread all together

Per the South Carolina Drivers Manual " The smaller sign shows the highest speed at which you can make the turn safely. Exceeding the speed posted on this type of sign is not only hazardous but also a traffic violation."

Better check your state law. :laugh:

cap

I just follow the State Trooper :whistle: Out where I live, he's always going faster than everyone else anyway :laugh:

Washington State has a "Too Fast for Conditions" as well as "Driving with wheels off the pavement" law. You run off the road and fall down to miss a deer, doesn't matter you are still getting a citation. Enter a corner at any speed and the LEO decides to write a ticket, you were going too fast for conditions (The sun was behind a cloud). The system is set up so Law Enforcement can write a ticket that covers any unforeseen situation. If you crash your bike and the WSP shows up, you are getting a ticket no matter what. I've heard stories of crash victims who were unconscious when placed in the ambulance and the LEO would stuff a ticket in the pocket of the unfortunate client.

No different than the slot machines in Vegas, the laws are rigged against the poor bloke who has the misfortune of encountering the collection department!

Back