OB_ducmanic

Registered
Weird Apex Crash:
Chop the throttle, cut the turn, motor
bogs, backfires hard at low RPM, front end
tucks, im sort of doing a pancake style
crossed up "wheelie" into the nearest parked
car. I threw the bike away as hard as i could
in to the car and flew into it after the bike. The front brake master cylinder sliced the leanth of the side of the car open like
a can opener. This was on a Ducati, not the
HedgeAbuser.

A: Always cover the clutch.
B: Never drink and drive.
ducmanic
Los Angeles

[This message has been edited by ducmanic (edited 27 August 1999).]

defectron,

From your posts, I know that you are a new rider. YOU ARE ON THE RIGHT TRACK to a long, happy, healthy riding experience. When I first started riding, I actually wanted to hear of bike accidents, because I knew that the more stories I heard, the more I would respect the machine and help me fight the "I'T WONT HAPPEN TO ME" syndrome. The saying "Pride goeth before destruction and a haughty(pridefull) spirit before a fall(drop)" was never more true than when riding these beasts.

I learned this from an accident on my 88GSXR750 but it also applies to the Hayabusa or any other bike. I was going approximately 50 mph through a blind off camber left hander when I saw the apex there was gravel almost directly in front of me. Unfortunately I was sitting way back on the seat and could not turn the bike hard enough so I stood it up and braked as hard as I could to avoid going through the gravel leaned over. I managed to almost stop in the grass on the side of the road but I laid it over anyway at about 5 mph. So the lesson I learned was always position your body far forward w/ your weight over the front wheel whenever youre headed for the twisties.
Hey emattson, I also had a 78 XS400 w/ drum brakes & ChengShit tires. First time I rode it in the rain, coming to a stop sign on a nice quiet street at about 10 mph, I barely touched the front brake and the damn drum brakes locked up and slid the front wheel out and I went down. I've hated drum brakes ever since.

In '85 I hit a ROAD CLOSED sign on my V-Max about 85mph while I was drag racing a friend of mine. We went on a weekend motorcycle trip and we had a lot of rain over the weekend and it washed out the road we were coming back on, that is one drag race I wish I lost. Bottom line: Two broken wrists, a puntured lung,broken ankle and Three pins in my elbow. Do NOT get too comfortable on familiar roadways,you never know what can jump out at you. OW!!

To Zleeper and others,

Hey it's really great to have all these posted in this topic. Of course, from a point of view might look like a kind of tragedy place to read.
But!, what happens is that usually theory is by far to little to be able to avoid accidents, then experience takes time. Something in between would really do.
For example you read through lines to use both brakes all the times, and also not to lock them. What does the manual scare you with? Well you'll skid like this and like that blah blah. No, no, you're dreaming. This is not your case, you most probably end up under the wheels of an incoming truck instantly, and you just didn't think that this can be that bad; but you read this topic before, and you'll quicky make the connection when you see situations contouring.
I was for example well pointed by Todds rain skid. just few days I took off in rainy weather, to see how bad or good it is, you can't just dream of driving under the Sun, once rain might catch you, and you're surprised. I was just thinking that basically the traction is pretty good on rain too. Since I read, I waited for the rain to wet everything, and to avoid going just when it gets wet, as it would be much more dangerous. Then in curves I kind of found it natural not to lean that much anymore, but I kept in mind that well can't be as bad as others say it, maybe next time I could lean some more, or push it more in some way. So after I heard how easily you can flip from Todd, for sure he fixed me up here.

Then another side of these accidents. So many of these new riders (any bike pretty much), I can bet they all see how cool others look on these sportbikes, how sweet and attractive this sport is, but have no clue about all its sides. Everyone should see few hundreds of pictures of tragic bike accidents, and what can happen to them. Then if they still have enough Gods to say that "this sport still rocks and I'm for it!" well then just go ahead, you picked the right thing, it looks like you have the exact cold and self controled blood for it.
This is like this poll that went through US some time ago. People were asked whether should US send in Kosovo 10000 ground troops or not? Somewhere around 75% were very insistent on it. Then they were made aware that probably around 3-4 thousands of these americans will die there, after which only around 15% were positive. I might sound funny and a bit too on fire, but I just find this a good example of the typical problem of not understanding all the sides of a thing.

And one more thing, if you didn't press the back button on your browser yet. Never think you really know something. You learnt to make a second gear wheelie, you are kind of able to do it most of the times, so you say, kool, now I know how to wheelie, I'm good. Nope, you suck, all you did you improved a lot, but you'll never have the right to say that now you know everything on the bike, in fact you better try to understand the new nature of the the mistakes now you are just able to make.

ok, finito, let's go back to the fun part of riding, i'll sound like a preacher soon :-).

Now many/most (all?) of you here are experienced riders, and sure have plenty of accident experiences. Would you mind telling some of them too? It comes as a good complementary to the safety topic.

Good topic. I'll start this off by saying I have only had one minor accident but I have not forgotten it. It was around 1988-89 and was my first ride in the rain on my Magna. I was two blocks from my house making a left 90 degree slow speed turn shortly after it had started to rain. Both tires slipped out from uder me (to the right). I skinned up one hand and forarm while breaking my fall. I destroyed one mirror and one clutch handle and had minor cosmetic damage. From that day one I changed the way I ride in the wet - especially right after the rain begins. Another event earlier in life had more of an impact on me. Tulsa, OK mid 70's I was walking to school and came upon the aftermath of a huge crash a few blocks from my house. The rider (just a kid) was DOA (covered up at the scene) and peices of the bike were all over the street. I picked up a piece of metal and it had what was left of the word Kawasaki on it. I kept it as a reminder of what can happen. If I start to get a little out of hand while riding on the streets I think back to that scene which usually helps provide some sanity again. I wouldn't want a kid picking up pieces of my Busa on his way to school.

California,Hwy237 commute rush hour, 3 lane hwy switching from traffic lane to commute lane waited for clearance to move into commute lane and gave myself room in front of my bike to serve over to commute lane looked in mirror and turned head left and also looked over my shoulder before moving forward to switch into commute lane some AS@hole change lane into my open hole that I left when I had my head turned and I gassed the bike to get into the commute lane and tagged the left rear conner of the persons car.I had my blinkers on and everything.Now when I switch from traffic lane to communter lane I stop my bike and all traffic behind me and wait for a clearance before moving to the commute lane,I also have my bike angled to move into commute lane instead of me rolling with traffic then servering left into commute lane. Second accident with wife's Harley this year lost control making left turn into work 5am early morning did not see new painted yellow lines which was wet causing bike to slide out from under me $1200 damage and crash bars saved bike and my left leg.

Two of them (not bad for 30-some-odd years of riding, I suppose, though zero would be better). :)

1970 (just starting out riding), thought I was hot stuff, zipped around a rural corner on my Yamaha 50 step-through (going maybe all of 20 MPH) and almost ran into a lady on a horse who was stopped in the middle of the road! I ended up in a pile against some rocks, she screamed at me for scaring her horse and rode off. That day I learned why people wear gloves when they ride -- the hard way. There's still some gravel in my hands.

1981. I had graduated through several bikes to a Suzuki RE-5 Rotary. Actually a great bike for its day, but what a beast, around 850 pounds as I recall. Two friends and I were riding out in the boonies of San Luis Obispo County California (a fantastic place to ride if you ever get a chance), we stopped in a roadhouse (error #1) it was hot, the friends (not I) finished a pitcher of beer between the two of them (errors #2&3), we got back on our bikes (errors #4&5) and off we rode, with me behind my slightly inebriated friends (error #6). We went about a mile before the first serious twisty, the rider in front lost it going around the corner, the next rider tried to drive around the crashed first rider, lost it, I was too close, ran out of places to go and lost it too. No one hit anyone, but all of the bikes were bunged up, mine didn't run (the distributor was broken off (not one of Suzuki's finest design moments when they put it where they did)), my hand was broken and we were all skinned up. I hitched a ride with one of the guys back to the bar and, called a friend with a pickup truck to pick me and the bike up.

Moral of the story -- don't drink and drive, and don't play Ricky Racer -- riding in tight groups is fun, but dangerous.

Since then (knock on wood) no crashes, not even a dropped bike in a parking lot.

Falconer

Well my only accident was in the Isle of Wight, In England.

There where these nice looking girls walking along, and I was riding a dirt bike (fitted for the road). Anyway, what could I do but pull a wheelie. So I poped the front up briefly, I am absolutely sure they where very impressed. (Did I mention I was only 19).

As the front returned to terra firms, I notice the bike was still accelerating depite the throttle being forward! The cable had jammed and I was accelerating toward a solid looking bus. I hit the brakes, hit them too hard, next thing I know I am eating tarmac.

I get up, feeling 12 feet tall. Try to pick up the bike, this was very hard because I had 2 broken arms and 1 dislocated wrist (I felt no pain at the time).

It was right about then that I passed out. I remember waking up to one of the girls that I had tried to impress, slapping my face. I never got her number and I regret it to this day.

[This message has been edited by Deadly Impact (edited 27 August 1999).]

Too many to list. I rode Motocross for 3 years in the late 80's. Wipeouts were the norm. As far as street goes, I75 south thru Atlanta (1979), I'm in the fast lane on my 78 Yamaha XS 400 2E (4 stroke, 2 cylinder, drum brakes, Cheng Shin tires). A brown Sunbird cuts over 4 lanes into the fast lane just as everyone is hitting the brakes. He and I did not react fast enough, he hit the car in front of him, I rear ended him. I flew over the top of his car and the Caddy he hit. My speed at the time of impact was judged to be 55-60mph. My bike suffered a destroyed front rim, both fork legs bent to the frame, handle bars, mirrors, levers, headlight, turn signals, bent exhaust pipes, and a dented gas tank. I did not break any bones, but had major abrasions and swelling like balloons. It was December and I had winter gloves, goose down ski jacket, full face helmet, boots, and heavy jeans on. The jacket exploded and it looked like a flock of geese had been involved. Witnesses said I looked like superman flying over the cars. The Sunbird driver was cited, I was not. I learned a few good things out of this accident... drum brakes really suck, Cheng Shin tires paint snakes way better than they stop, protective clothing really works, full face helmets are the only helmet worth wearing (mine was destroyed, but my head was not!), I did not pay enough attention to what was going on around me, I did not know how to properly brake in an emergency, and car bumpers are a bitch.
Nailz

This is an excellent idea for a new thread, but fortunately I have nothing to contribute.

I intend to keep it that way.

I can barely bring myself to read the posts here, but in the name of keeping myself good and scared on the street, I will.

I'll just post my ZX-11 experiences so I don't take up 3 pages. I've low sided at 30 mph, got a bruised hip. High sided at 80 mph and tumbled 8 times, got a herniated disc and a free week off work. I've even stepped off the back while doing a wheely in 1st to avoid flipping it over. I chased after it and managed to save it, luckily I got rid of the rear fender. Blew a fork seal though. I've improved alot in the last 4 years though and I now do wheelies on the tank and standing on the seat. My record speed while doing a wheely is 260 km. I'm currently getting into movie stunts as I'm getting my name known around here.

I have two silouettes painted on my gas tank, a deer and a Porsche 928.

I was on a logging road (gravel) near Mt. St. Helens in Washington in 1984, after dark on my GS1100. I saw that pair of glowing eyes off to the right, initial approach speed about 55 mph, and began to slow down. Right when I thought it was safe to pass, she bolted across like a missile. Caught her in the left ribcage (small animal, maybe 100 lbs.), and she took my front end out to the left, at maybe 30 mph. I wasn't hurt, but sure looked like hell...my suit was in shreds and my helmet was scraped to poop.

1997 in San Diego, same bike, rush hour traffic on I-805. I was tired, distracted, and in the left lane, approaching my exit. I needed to make several lane changes, and did a head-check to the right at just the wrong instant. The idiot in front of the Porsche I was following slammed on his brakes, and the Porsche driver covered it.

My old GS had badly-leaking fork seals at that time, and my front disks had a film of fork oil on them. When I looked back to the front, there were those brake lights, distance collapsing way too fast. I nailed both brakes and brought the front brake lever almost all the way to the handlebar, but he had me four disks to three, and two of my three were not 100 percent. I couldn't dice around, I would have been dead. Checkmate.

I hit going maybe 10 mph, hauling down from about 45 mph. He was stopped. Didn't get hurt, didn't bend forks, smashed up my Shoei fairing, headlight and gauges. And put a $1,000 scratch on the Porsche.

Defectron, the best attitude to have for avoidance of accidents is to be a bit like a fighter pilot going on a mission every time you suit up to ride your Hayabusa. You are going into hostile territory, where many things can kill you.

You should have confidence in your skills and knowledge, knowing that you have the best technology at your fingertips to keep you alive and flying high. No foolish confidence, just being firm and sure of yourself, certain of your decisions. Hesitation at the wrong moment can cost you.

Every time I put the strap of my helmet under my chin, I play a short movie in my head of going into combat. I think, just for a moment, I could be killed today. I am not going to let it happen.

I believe you will do well with your Hayabusa.

RobBase,
I did pretty mich the same thing in the rain (Mine was coming to a stoplight, front end washout). The bike shook like a paint mixer too. It was my first street bike. $899 new. I did put 40K miles on it though. And Drum brakes still suck!!!!
Nailz

eMattson,
Sounds familiar, my first streetbike also, paid $1000. I used to ride it to work downtown Wash,D.C. One day in winter had snow on the ground but decided the roads looked good so I rode it in but as I got farther into town the roads got worse to the point I was riding on the asphalt only where the tires of cars had traveled, i.e. 12" of street, the rest was snow. Anyway, coming to the last stop sign before my building, when I got to the intersection the entire road turned into a sheet of ice! No way to stop, just put both feet down, touched the front brake and boom, down I went. I dropped it 4 times trying to cross that intersection, luckily there was no traffic. Ever tried to ride a street bike on solid ice, no way possible!
I cant remember how many miles I had on it but one early Sunday morning I was out for a ride when the motor made a loud bang and left me with about 6 HP to make it 20 miles to home. Never could get it fixed to where it would run right so I sold it and have disliked Yamahas since then.

I'll print my two most memorable. The first was going home from work one day. On a four lane. The lady on the inside of me decided to change lanes right into me causing my 75 XLCH to skid off the side,rear wheel on the grass front wheel on the pavement. No amount of braking or throttle would dislodge the Harley from the path it was taking. Right into a striped road sign at 45mph. Result? Broken collarbone,punctured lung, shattered left elbow. The lady kept going. the second happened on a friday night. We were at the local hangout and decided to go to eat. As we left(there were eight of us)and pulled into the street I stopped to let a friend in front of me. He and Big D were waiting for the light to change and we were waiting at the curb to pull out. Heard squealing tires and looked to my right to see a Olds 98 slide into the back of Gerald and Big D. Big D was okay but Gerald's wife was killed on impact and his back was broken,both bikes totaled. The obviously drunk driver of the Olds was allowed to drive away from the scene even though he was in no condition to walk much less drive. The impact knocked a 71FLH and a 74 Honda 750 some 80 feet past the light. To this day I watch my mirrors intently at every light and listen for tires squalling.

I have had three, my last and most favorite was the summer of 1987 on my 86 GSXR750. Went to do a stoppie at night in front of over 100 people. Back tire went up perfect, front tire hit a mean pot hole and down I went. Man did I feel cool. NOT! I couldnt get my bike up and out of there fast enough.
The worst experience of my life was the next summer, 1988. Riding behind a buddy in heavy traffic and a car turned in front of him. He hit the car hard (there was not even any skid marks) and he was not wearing a helmet. Being an EMT, I did what first aid I could and talked to him trying to keep him semi-alert. He stopped breathing as the ambulance got there, and never started again. The worst thing in the world is to have to tell your buddys wife that he's dead. A very bad experience that still upsets me to this day to think about it.

Paul

Back