Post trip review of Corbin, Helibars, and Zero Gravity ST

Trout

Registered
Well, I just got back from my first official tour on a Hayabusa. You can see the pictures and read the stories HERE.

I thought I'd provide some feedback and review of my major touring modifications.

Corbin seat. This is by far the best seat I've ever experienced on any motorcycle. As you may know, Corbins are not soft and cushy, but this one is shaped to perfection. It fits my butt like the proverbial glove. I would not trade this seat. Corbins are not custom fit, and I'm sure that I just lucked out and my behind just happens to be the same exact shape as their template. They may not work for everyone, but this one works for me. I had pains on this trip, but my rear was not one of them.

Helibars. This mod was an improvement over stock, but it didn't get me where I need to be for long distance riding. After several hours of riding, I get a pain between my shoulder blades, and up a little. I also have a bad right shoulder and it gets uncomfortable as well. I think I need to be more upright for all day riding. I'm going to look at the Spiegler kit, or maybe fabricate my own kit.

Zero Gravity Sport Touring screen. I bought this screen to block more air, which it did, but it added noise. The noise is worst when I tuck down to get out of the airflow. There's not much that can be done to combat noise from a screen that dumps the turbulent air at helmet level. I'll probably either get a Laminar Lip to experiment with or maybe a MRA Vario, or maybe both.

UtahTrip053.jpg

Thanks for the review on the windshield. I too am leaning toward the MRA or the Vario. Just the money stopping me :banghead:

Have you thought of trying the Buell pegs? It changes more than just your leg angles. Also helped me in the reach to the bar dept.. I have a Gen 2 but can't imagine it being any different on the Gen 1...

Nice looking rig though, love the blue! :beerchug:

I have some suggestions as I have been down that road as well and am very happy with my set up now.

- MRA Vario Touring wind shield from Twisted Throttle
- Vario Pegs from Twisted Throttle
- Genmar .75 inch riser
- True cruise control like in my signature (best mod ever!)

I ride 120 miles a day to work and back and the mods above made my Hayabusa a touring beast.

How tall are you? I am at 6'4 and just about all the after market screens I have used were terrible. Air flow would either hit my neck or my helmet. I have had the memphis double bubble, zero gravity DB, zero gravity Touring screen, and the MRA touring screen.

Like Big E, I was not happy after purchasing several screens. The MRA hit the mark for me though because it has the adjustable blade on it. I always have it nearly upright and sit straight up in the sit without any problems.

MRA should pay me for talking up their product so much.

I'm 5'10" tall and have Helibars, Corbin, and Puig d/b windscreen and I'm very happy with the setup. 20+ hours of riding is not a problem at all.:thumbsup:

I have some suggestions as I have been down that road as well and am very happy with my set up now.

- MRA Vario Touring wind shield from Twisted Throttle
- Vario Pegs from Twisted Throttle
- Genmar .75 inch riser
- True cruise control like in my signature (best mod ever!)

I ride 120 miles a day to work and back and the mods above made my Hayabusa a touring beast.

120 Miles a day considered touring :dunno: IMO 120 miles is acomplished by 9AM on saturday morning pursing an all day ride till sunset.

How tall are you? I am at 6'4 and just about all the after market screens I have used were terrible. Air flow would either hit my neck or my helmet. I have had the memphis double bubble, zero gravity DB, zero gravity Touring screen, and the MRA touring screen.

I'm 5'9". Have you found a good compromise?

I'm 5'10" tall and have Helibars, Corbin, and Puig d/b windscreen and I'm very happy with the setup. 20+ hours of riding is not a problem at all.:thumbsup:

Are you saying that the DB does not make noise? Worse than stock? Better than stock?

As you know, "not a problem at all" is totally subjective :)

120 Miles a day considered touring :dunno: IMO 120 miles is acomplished by 9AM on saturday morning pursing an all day ride till sunset.

120 miles is not considered touring, that is considered commuting. The 684 miles I did last Friday is my idea of touring. I was merely attempting to pass along my setup that works very well for me. I am also planning a trip to Fairbanks, AK when I retire from active duty in a couple of years. That will be 10K-12K miles across a month or 45 days. That is touring my friend :)

Are you saying that the DB does not make noise? Worse than stock? Better than stock?

i'm 6' and run the Puig DB...it definitely moved the air up where it is much more comfortable and less noisy...i have known several people who have used the MRA and none of them have disliked it except the giant named Big E (just kidding with you bro) :laugh:

I'm 5'9". Have you found a good compromise?

I meant to say I'm pretty happy with the DB as far as blocking the wind. As far as noise, I don't really notice it since I always wear ear plugs.

+1 on the ear plugs, +1 on the buell pegs. You should be good after that, and I think it's the cheaper way to go

i HAVE THE CYCLE PIRATE 360 KIT AND PEGS. LOVE THEM SO FAR. HELI BARS ARE ON THE WAY AND LOOKING FOR A USED SADDLEMAN TECH SEAT. HAVE HEARD GREAT REVIEWS ON THEM. I'M 6'3 320LBS

Back