Possible Warped or Worn Sprockets

audial

Registered
I was adjusting the chain last night and noticed that as I rotate the rear wheel the chain gets loose and then tight and then loose again. I'm thinking that would indicate that a sprocket is either warped, out of round, or just worn more on some teeth than others. Has anyone else ever came across this before? Thanks!

How many miles on your chain and sprockets
rock.gif
It is most likely your chain has a tight spot and when it goes over the sprockets it can't bend enough so the slack in the chain goes away
wink.gif

The rear wheel may be out of alignment still.
Mine was doing that after I reinstalled the wheel.  I kept working with the adjustment until it stopped.  My sprocket still wobbles a little but nothing major.

post-52-02136-welcome.gif

More than likely your chain has been stretched from over tightening, (most common reason) Wheelie's, or just worn out! I have heard of some cheap mass produced sprockets being grossly out! from mass machining's but not one that would be on a Busa
rock.gif
One way to find out if the rear sprocket is the culprit, rotating the wheel, note when it gets tight and where the stem is. If it gets snug at the same place its your sprocket! Too much adj will kill it B4 its time. A top notch chain which is the only thing to use on this bike! will need maybe 3 to 4 adjustments thru its life from new! Remember the chain is the tightest when your swing arm is at its max extension.
all_coholic.gif

beerchug.gif

Back