The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
My local work situation is terrible (wont go into a lot of details) bet we
have been consolidating facilities from 3 down to 1 and crunching personel
(literally).

Got a call from work asking if I wanted to relocate (at my old position) to
Hemet California.

That's a long way from central florida (been here 39 years) even though...
I hate Florida...to hot, like living in a convection oven and rains daily multiple
times.

The only thing is my two kids, 22 & 23. They don't live with me but my
Daughter lives 1 block away and my Son 20 min., they have their own lives
but we've always been tight. When I got divorced 3 years ago, both
kids went with me. Now I'd be moving 2000+ miles away.

It's a decent oportunity and a chance to leave fl for cali....hmmm.

SOooo anyway, what Hemet like?

BTW-What's the best way to ship a motorcycle cross country?

Last edited:
calif is nice but hemet has all crack heads that place has went to section 8 and low lifes i would stay in fla rather then living in hemet calif :whistle:

Work is great, but family should take priority...or at least be a big part of your decision.

I know it can be hard in todays market to watch everything around you crumble, but your family is the only thing you can count on.:beerchug:

calif is nice but hemet has all crack heads that place has went to section 8 and low lifes i would stay in fla rather then living in hemet calif :whistle:

You don't have to live in Hemet, there are other areas that are very nice. Murrieta, Temecula, etc. and they are within easy driving or riding distance. You won't find a better climate to ride nearly all year round and great rides to be had in the mountains, desert or to the ocean. You should investigate the cost of living differential. I moved to Texas from CA and rode high on the hog with the money I cashed out on my home, but coming back I had reverse sticker shock. However, housing is down and there are a lot of short sales and bank owned homes that you might find quite affordable. There are definite areas in the IE (that's what we call the inland empire) that you want to stay away from, but they are not worse then other areas of the country.
Check out the crime stats & cost of living and make an informed decision. Best of luck to you.

as far as crime goes I've been spoiled. I'm 46 and have had a bat bag stolen
out of my car 10 years ago, and a small compressor taken out of my garage 3
years ago (kids left it open all nite) and that is it...

Never even seen what I would consider a gang, drugs...you'd have to search
and go look for, no ladies of the eveining, etc...very clean city. That is what I'm used to...

hemet clean and safe ?? get real i been here for 40 yrs and its nothing like it was 20 yrs ago i think somebody better re-check crime rate here it has changed alot

Well as far as shipping goes I would recommend getting a bid from uship.com. People bid for your business and you get to take the lowest bid.

Might be cheaper to get someone to ride it out then fly them back home.

It's 2300 miles...that's a heck of a trip.

Really don't want to rack that many miles in x amount of days.

I lived in Hemet and it is not what it was 20 years ago. Its VERY hot in the sumer 120+++. Temecula is about 20 miles south and a great place to live. So there are cities around that are good. What company are you with?

home is where the heart is...and uless you make a insane amount of money... mabey you should check your options localy or at least within a hour. i know what its like to only see my kids every 6-8 months

You don't have to live in Hemet, there are other areas that are very nice. Murrieta, Temecula, etc. and they are within easy driving or riding distance. You won't find a better climate to ride nearly all year round and great rides to be had in the mountains, desert or to the ocean. You should investigate the cost of living differential. I moved to Texas from CA and rode high on the hog with the money I cashed out on my home, but coming back I had reverse sticker shock. However, housing is down and there are a lot of short sales and bank owned homes that you might find quite affordable. There are definite areas in the IE (that's what we call the inland empire) that you want to stay away from, but they are not worse then other areas of the country.
Check out the crime stats & cost of living and make an informed decision. Best of luck to you.

+1 on this.

You don't have to live in Hemet at all. In fact you should check out the wonder world of Idyllwild. Just ask Doyle (Raydog). I was fortunate enough to ride behind him on the road to it and it would be a great commute. The mountains are cool and so are the people.
Riding and hiking or whatever are only minutes away and the air is nice and clean. I almost bought a retirement home there years ago and it is still the quaint little mountain town it was back then.
Bubba

I used u-ship when I moved from socal back to New Orleans and was very pleased with the guy that did my bike transport.
Ditto on the riding -- it is phenomenal out there !!! I miss the hell out of it

I really REALLY think you would sooooooo regret moving away from your children.

Totally a bad situation. I would hate to be in that situation myself. but in the end if you care about your family and if you dont put them first then you would probably be miserable.

I am just trying to put myself in the same situation. my 17 year old is going to be a senior next year. his mom and him drove to a college at the coast last weekend checking it out.

This Friday they are driving up north and will be gone all day checking out two more colleges.

I have had a lot of time comtimplating him not being around. every college he is looking at is at least 3 or more hours away.

He loves us and he is very much a family person, but he told me he feels when he goes to college he HAS to be on his own. that for him personally he needs to be at least 3 to 5 hours away.

I understand what he is saying and why he wants to be that far away, but still the same it is going to suck.

He has even talked about living in New York.

So I am just saying that for me personally I have spent a lot of time on this issue, it sounds like you love your children and they are very important to you, and I think if you make the move to Hemet for a job and you allow it to take you away from your kids. I really think it is going to suck for you after awhile and you will regret the move.

Good luck
:beerchug:

Do it. Your kids are grown and will be able to travel to visit you in SoCal. The best way to ship your bike is to ride it across and crash with all of your .org friends. Make it a relaxed trip over several days and you'll be good to go. Forget about living in Hemet and find yourself an ideal place within a reasonable commute with some twisties in between..

STAY BY YOUR KIDS THEY NEED YOU MORE THEN YOU THINK AND BESIDE DADS RULE AND X'S WELL WHAT EVER YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN :whistle:

I'm leaning towards going...

There are a lot of possitives (won't go into all the details). The company will
pay for relocation. I'm going to fly out and take a look around for a couple of
days.

What an adventure...

Talked to the kids a lot and they're pretty good with it. It's not like I'm gone
forever, a roudtrip ticket for me or them is only $300. And like I told my Son,
then your vacationing in California.

Any last areas or heads up, I'll be looking for a house to rent in the area...
you guys got me talked out of Hemet itself.

Idyllwild looks fantastic only...expensive.

Do it. Your kids are grown and will be able to travel to visit you in SoCal. The best way to ship your bike is to ride it across and crash with all of your .org friends. Make it a relaxed trip over several days and you'll be good to go. Forget about living in Hemet and find yourself an ideal place within a reasonable commute with some twisties in between..

I agree. The kids are out on their own. You will still have a job, that's a BIG plus in today's economy. I say go for it. If you don't like it, you can always go back. What if you always wondered if you should have made the move??? Good luck with your exploritory visit...

Make the move, the riding here is the best. In the winter, you can surf in the morning and go play in the snow in the afternoon. The people will get some getting used to though, lots of Libs..............

Back