possible probem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB_VegasDude

Registered
I was cleaning my rear rim today and on the same side as the drive chain i noticed two fine cracks in the silver part of the wheel that the sproket connects to. This is on the inside of the chain area between the chain and the rim itself......is this a problem?? Of course i'll check with the dealer tomorrow.........but i want to know if anyone else had experienced this problem?

I noticed similar when I bought my bike, and they are very fine cracks, which seem to be on top of the surface only. I have not noticed any further development (5000 km)

Per

Look very close, are they really cracks or just casting mold imperfections? This sliver thing (the cush drive assembly) is very sturdy, but poorly cast (minor surface blems).

If it is a crack, do not drive it to the dealer. Most likely you do not have a problem.

I cleaned some more and put on my glasses and most of the cush drive was smooth, however after looking closely i saw numerous small cracks and rough casting on about 31\2 inches of the cush drive........

no one knows the truth about this one
ask vince900ss@aol.com
from right here in clearwater, fl
he has the same problem
afraid to open it up
no one knows if these "cracks" are significant
obviously the factory says they aren't
usually i wouldn't care
but...
too many of us have them
and not too many bikes have 160 rear wheel hp
and that scares the hell out of me

what is the final answer from this board about this problem?
greg

Jeffw, I have taken a closer look at my bike and I am entitled to conclude on "just casting mold imperfections" (a term that was not in my vocabulary)

Greg, to my knowledge one way to get the final answer is to conduct a NDT (Non Destructive Testing, frequently used in the offshore industry). The question is are there readers out there who has knowledge and appropriate test equipment?

VegasDude, I agree 100 % with you that we should not take any chances on this possible problem

Per

A fluorescent dye penetrate test can be done to visually verify surface cracks. I don't know the exact procedure, but any quality machine shop would have experience at this. Any crack in part of the drive train assembly is serious and unacceptable from anyone's point of view, except maybe a bean counter. Cracks will develop to larger cracks, and promote corrosion problems that can weaken the structure to an undesirable safety factor.

Took busa to Suzuki dealer ship today. They called their rep. The Rep has not heard of this type of problem. The service manager said that he wanted to take the bike apart and do a full inspection. I agreed to this as its my ass on the line. I went into the showroom and there was a new busa on the floor and checked the bike for the same problem. The new bike had exactly the same problem that my bike has.................will let you know the results tomorrow.........

Well guys I've been investigating the possible problem and can clearly see and feel cracks. I had one of my friends (ZX-9er)give a look and he reaffirmed the cracks. Tomorrow I'll call Suzuki America and add myself to the complaint list. Im grounded until they fix it. Has anyone already called?

Ok guys suzuki called me. They had their top mechanic inspect the bike. Jeff, the technician stated that after a careful inspection the cush drive is not cracked it is casting mold imperfections. Jeff also compared my bike with a new busa and had the same imperfections. He said that they looked like identical twins.........Also their rep contacted other suzuki reps and the other guys have heard of this situation seems like they found out because someone posted the problem over the intenet......Now i wonder who would do a thing like that.....................HEHE : )

It would be interesting to take a picture of the imperfection in the hub and post it here.
Quite possibly it would get further attention from Suzuki. From the descriptions given by different owners the pattern sounds vary similar. Maybe a couple more Busa's could get together to compare hubs.

Guys, this is something I've had personal experience with lately. 98 YZFR1 cush drive hubs are notorious for cracking and coming apart. Mine came apart a few weeks ago.

If you have real cracks in your cush drive hub, they won't stay like that for long. They spread quickly and pieces of the hub begin to break into chunks and fall out. It should be perfectly obvious if you have a problem by removing the rear wheel and inspecting the hub. If there is a problem, it spreads very quickly, especially with the kind of hp/torque you guys have. The should not crack just on the surface. When they crack, they crack all the way through.

alright, i know i am diggin up an old thread but this is totally relevant to the cracks i just noticed on my 2011 - Please have a look at these pictures and let me know if anyone else has this or not and if you all think that I should take this back to the dealer.

2011 Hayabusa rear wheel.jpg

2011 Hayabusa rear wheel 2.jpg

someone will chime in soon, I would but I am in Turkey right now and my bike is not. I will check mine when i get home.

Casting flash or whatever is the correct term...I never have seen a stock Busa sprocket carrier that doesn't look like that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Its not flash, but it is an imperfection in the casting. Wouldn't worry about it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back