Possible New Hayabusa owber..Need input

MN72Busa

Formerly known as "Zuki"
Donating Member
Registered
Hi, first post here, so hopefuly I dont ask questions that are typical Newb questions.

Well, I may take the dive into the Hayabusa realm. I currently own a 2005 Victory Hammer (100 CI, 250mm rear tire, stage I), I've owned a 2003 Victory Vegas, YZ250, several snowmobiles, and have ridden F3's, R1's, and etc..

I like the Idea of the Hayabusa being more of a non-race bike. Im wondering if this is the type of bike I can take my Fiance on for a 75 to 150 mile trip and both of us being somewhat comfortable. Are we too big for this bike? Im 5'11" and 210 Lbs, she is 5'6" and 135Lbs.

I'm 32 and have rode all my snowmobiles and dirbikes pretty hard, but always within reason ( yah that word reason is subjective...lol). Im finding the Victory Hammer is great, but would really like a better cornering bike, and something with more sport appeal and power, but dont need a full race bike. Have no plans on doing track days. I have no reason to do 200 mph, but like the idea of the bike having the potential of nearing that limit.

Anything I should be aware of as far as new model issues? Are these bikes reliable enough to ride 6 to 8 thousand miles a year. How many miles can I expect to get out of this bike before needing an engine rebuild? How do the stock tires handle in the rain? Any mods like windshield, seat, or controls that should be changed out if I purchase? Will I feel cramped being 5'11"?

Any input would be great on this bike. I have no dreams of being the next speed racer, nor do I need to set any midninght speed records to make me feel like more of a man. I want a bike with power, looks, grace, and rideability. Not sure what else I can add to my already lengthy post, but would really appreciate some informative input before I make a decision. I made impulsive decisions in my youth, however as I get older I find getting facts and taking time in making a decision is much more rewarding. Great forum by the way, nice to be a part of it.

You'll love the bike, so will she! You might consider Buell pegs being that tall, the DB screen is a good cheap mod.The stock Bridgestones arent bad but there are alot better, you will get goood mileage out of them though! NJ.:)

I've been riding streetbikes for.........urg!, dam...27 yrs! The busa is, without a doubt, the sweetest all around machine I've ever owned. I am about 5'11" and 210 as well. If fits me perfectly. There is a possibility I might someday do the footpeg mod, but for now I'm gonna leave it alone.
From a reliability standpoint, Suzuki makes a great product. Take good care of it and it will reciprocate. There are members here with more than 50k on thier busa.
The stock tires are fine for the normal rider, but like NJ says, there are better choices out there. You can make the bridgestones slide in the lower gears, but it is all in the wrist...like any bike, wet pavement (particularly "just" wet) requires carefull throttle inputs, but the b56 seems to stick ok on wet.
I've done several 300-400 mile days on mine and was none the worse for wear..in fact I wanted to keep going!!
tounge.gif

I will, however, get a better windshield fairly soon, it could use a little better upper body protection.
It is a great choice. The power is addictive! Take it easy until you get the feel for it 'cause it rips!
Wecome to the board by the way, you will find anything you want to know about this machine right here. Tons of great info and some truly great people!

Post pics when you get 'er!
biggrin.gif
(thats mandatory)

I don't own a Hayabusa either... everyone I seem to know that drives a bike is trying to talk me out of it... never driven a bike before. Everyone keeps telling me that I seem to be the "cruser" type... and that just annoys me to no end. (I am taking abate (MSF) class in August before I do anything with a bike)

Anyway, I have a list of mods people post on the boards and marked them ... but they are on a computer at work, I can post them later.

The kick stand mod seems to be the one people say is among the best. I guess the kickstand doesn't "lock" down and slips if your bike gets pushed foward, so people grind some notches in the stand to lock it.

The xeon (?) headlight seems to be another favorite one. Brighter head light... and you can get it in color... think they have a group buy on this one going on someplace.

A lock of the throttle(?) ... again group buying currently happening.

Can't think of anything else... haven't figure out what sliders are yet... although I think they stick out of the bike because the farings(?) seem to cost $600-$900 (price help?) for each side, so it is an expensive bike to drop.

I will post the links tomorrow, if I can remember where this thread is.

Welcome V, first off I think you would enjoy the busa for a(take your girl for a ride/trip, go as fast as you want & spirited riding) kind of bike!

Concerning comfort, I'm 5 ' 10" and haven't needed any adjustments concerning pegs. There are plenty of mods concerning pegs, bar risers & windshields. You can find all the discussions by using the search bar at top.

I've taken my wife for a 400 mile trip in one day & we were both fine. Some people on this board have opted to upgrade the stock seat for a Tobin seat. The stock tires aren't bad but I prefer Pilot powers, the stocks are bad & I got 7,000 out of my tires. You won't have to worry about reliability issues, I think these are one of the most reliable bikes that I know of. And if you have any issues or questions, I'm pretty sure someone here can answer your question!

P.S. It's an unspoken rule that you post pics of your bike when you get it!

cool.gif

tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|#cruncherbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1119879091 -->

Valium, can you post up some pics of your bikes please? Would especially like to see some of the fat tire bike, thanks, NJ.:)

You'll love the bike. I'm 6'3" 225 and my wife is 6'0" 150. We don't have any problems. You will need to stiffen the suspension a bit after you get it though. It rides better with 2 up. I just bought mine after riding a 600 for several years. It's a lot better for two people.

I'm 6'3" 225 and my wife is 6'0" 150.  
My God you're going to have the next Shaq LOL! I agree the bike is very comfy for riders but the only bike in it's class that is just as comfy for the passenger.

Several seat adaptions for back support can be purchased too. Just think you can also take her to the strip for a lil drag action if you want, no other bike can offer that level of comfort and competitive performance.

You will not be dissappointed.

Oh and welcome to the board.

I'm 6'3" 225 and my wife is 6'0" 150.  
My God you're going to have the next Shaq LOL!  I agree the bike is very comfy for riders but the only bike in it's class that is just as comfy for the passenger.

Several seat adaptions for back support can be purchased too.  Just think you can also take her to the strip for a lil drag action if you want, no other bike can offer that level of comfort and competitive performance.

You will not be dissappointed.

Oh and welcome to the board.
I'm 6'-3" and 217. I ride it very comfortably.

P.

The busa is a great bike.  It is really comfortable when you put new: bars, windscreen and seat.  I have taken it 450 miles in a day (as comfortable as my Heritage).  It will corner, it has lots of power and is fun to ride.  If your looking for a bike that is not a cruiser this is the bike.  6' 2" 215 and this bike is great.  The riding position with the new windscreen requires no tuck even at 130.  Any speed above 60 the wind holds you up so you have very little strain on you body.
smile.gif

PS. Welcome.

<!--EDIT|JB Busa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1119952961 -->

as requested

www.thevmc.com Link no longer works

What do you guys think about buying used? Should a guy just buy new, or used but stock, or used and modified? Great input, really appreciated.

Bought mine used. 1st bike I've ever bought used. 3k+ worth of mods with 4200 miles. I would look for one that is a good value. If your patient you will find one. I stumbled onto mine while looking for a new LE. It was at the dealer for less than 24 hours before I bought it. Suzuki's are basically bullet proof. I would personally stay away from highly modified only because if something goes wrong it make detection alot harder.

Ive been looking used, and guys keep adding the extended swing-arm. What purpose does this serve? Is this only for looks or performance, and does it make the bike ride different? Also hearing talk of the Busa getting more HP and lighter in 06 - is it worth the wait or is the current Busa such a classic that its worth owning one now and enjoying the bike for what it is?

New busa rumors abound, no-one knows anything until at least september. An extended swingarm is used for drag racing, (or posing!!) it lessens the bikes tendency to wheelie during hard acceleration, but it will increase the amount of effort required to turn quickly.
My advice is pick up a clean, unmodified,(pipe and pc would be okay) used bike at a good price, you can always upgrade to a newer model down the road. You will love the bike.

Are these bikes reliable enough to ride 6 to 8 thousand miles a year. How many miles can I expect to get out of this bike before needing an engine rebuild?
Sounds like you are used to good ol' Hardley Ableson reliablity!
tounge.gif

Kidding aside...mine is a week old and already passed the 1000 mark!
biggrin.gif

BUY IT....RIDE IT.....LOVE IT! GUARENTEED!
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Back