Possible clutch problem

Ice3460

Registered
Hey guys, I just got my bike back on the road. Last time I rode it, the rpms jumped with no power to the wheels.... i didn't think much of it at the time. Today I got about 2 miles from my house... and i noticed I was barely getting any power when I tried to open the throttle at 45 mph... i pulled over and turned around... when i went to accelerate im not getting any power at all. The bike won't move in gear nor will it stall.. it just revs up. It shifts into all gears but doesn't do anything. Im assuming this is a clutch problem but I wanted to get everyone's opinion before I ordered a new clutch. Its never had a clutch change and its a 2000 busa 23K miles. Thanks!

The bike won't move in gear nor will it stall.. it just revs up. It shifts into all gears but doesn't do anything.
Can you physically push the bike forward/backward when "in gear" without effort? (as if it was in neutral)
Sounds like the clutch is stuck disengaged...not sure what would lock it open like that though.

So it's acting like the clutch lever is engaged all the time?

Without serous abuse these clutches will last longer than 23k miles

Has any maintenance been done to the clutch MC? Fluid change, plunger seals? The fluid might be bypassing worn or dried out plunger seals and not building pressure to the clutch slave cylinder-this would be my first approach. If that's all good then it might be the pushrod is stuck from grit and thick grease, taking the front sprocket cover off will allow you to see it. It could be bent and jammed.

If the bike is down, you might as well strip the side fairings of to get at the clutch and sprocket covers. Remove the clutch cover, have someone pull in the clutch and check for movement. If the plunger is getting bypassed, there will be no movement.

The clutch mechanism is pretty simple and generally very reliable. Suzuki has used this same system since '82.

Hey guys, I just got my bike back on the road. Last time I rode it, the rpms jumped with no power to the wheels.... i didn't think much of it at the time. Today I got about 2 miles from my house... and i noticed I was barely getting any power when I tried to open the throttle at 45 mph... i pulled over and turned around... when i went to accelerate im not getting any power at all. The bike won't move in gear nor will it stall.. it just revs up. It shifts into all gears but doesn't do anything. Im assuming this is a clutch problem but I wanted to get everyone's opinion before I ordered a new clutch. Its never had a clutch change and its a 2000 busa 23K miles. Thanks!
I'm sure our friend from Germany will be here with some pics but I had an 05 I did some work on last year and just before the clutch spring bolts backed out the owner said he was feeling the clutch slip. I would pull the clutch cover and see what is going on in there and see if the plates are moving when you're actuating the clutch lever.

Back