Port operations to the arabs ????

Southside Playa

Master Pot-Stirrer
Donating Member
Registered
I know some may diasagree. But how is it that the president is pushing turning over several major port ops to an Arab company. IT sounds like B.S. to me. I don't like it and I don't agree with it.

Just like I don't agree with Halliburton and KBR getting no bid contracts for all of the work in Iraq, Louisiana, Mississippi, etc.

There is a long line of b.s. rolling downhill, and we all know where it is coming from.

I usually stay out of the political realm, but all of these things really tend to piss me off as a citizen and most of all a taxpayer.

A man once stated in certain movie, that many here don't like, that we were in bed with the Arabs. Most people thinks he is of FOS. But it sure looks that way to me.

Please share your thoughts on this matter.

I'm with ya, 100%........................And I bet THAT security will be air tight. So much for homeland security.

It is total B.S.
mad.gif

Arabs, in general, aren't the problem. I understand the heartburn towards them and I'm not saying that they are my favorite nationality. But, I don't think that just because some Arabs hate Americans doesn't mean that we cut off all ties to the Arab world.

If it was Ireland that we invaded, would you feel the same way about the Irish?

BBK, it is not that I don't realize that the whole country is not to blame for what has happened. However, there is no 100% guarantee that this won't come back to bite us.

We may as well let the fox guard the henhouse.

One of the ports in question is New York.

Ask the people of NY what they think.

I knew there would not be a lot of response to this, cause most people here back everthing someone does. I don't care who agrees or disagrees, sometimes you have to admit that some things just are not logical.

Hell, let them buy some other business that is no so security driven. I mean the ports. While we're at it, lets give Border Security to Al Queida!!

I agree with you...
It is like letting the fox guard the henhouse..
Seems kinda counterproductive to me...
If they do this, why not let the Mexican Government guard the boarder...
Either will be asking for trouble...
And I am not saying every Arab is a terrorist, but the terrorist did come from the Middle East...
Not stereotyping or profiling...
Just simple ratios of terrorist acts verses Home Countrys...
You don't see to many people from Canada or Australia or freindly Countrys coming here and performing acts of terror...
The majority are from the Middle East, hence the ratios...

David

Hubby and I were talking about this the other night...his mindset is "why let a middle eastern country take over" and my view was "why let ANY other country intervene in something that should remain 100% American led", but I've been watching Fox News this morning, listening to what little is really being said about what's about to take place...

According to those close to the President, SECURITY still remains in the hands of the United States via the Coast Guard, U.S. Customs and Border Protection...so, according to Mr. Bush, this isn't a question of security risk...take that for what you will, just thought I'd clarify what's being said this morning over thinking we're handing every bit of security over to a UAE company.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer......

I believe that one of two things could be taking place.

1. Bush is forcing the issue with congress just to make them take a stance. He has proven time and time again he doesnt care about what people think about him but the end result.
2. We still hold the security of the port and so who manages it is irrelevant. We still have complete authority over the ports so its not like we are giving land away. It also serves as a reminder to the rest of the world that we don't hate arabs or Muslims just extremist..

Cap

a london co. runs things now.its pay back for letting up kick ass over there. got to pay if were gonna play .

We may still "secure" the ports, but there's no way to fully secure the company's personnel from within. With the chain of command starting in the Gulf, all of the port employees wont be Yanks.

from what i heard its sound like there signing over the lease to the ports, not actualy controling it......what ever that means....i do agree with keeping your enemies closer,but daym thats real close.

Actually my opinion is Bush had no choice .. Half the U.S. is already sold to foriegn countries if he would have stopped it it would have been political suicide for him and The U.S.(with the U.N.) how can you let Japan ,China,Germany,So on and so forth if someone does not wake up in a hurry we are going to be the only country run by us and owned by everyone else..My question is why did we not outr bid them or why would the brits even offer it to them insted of us.. Why did we sell it in the first place why are we not running our own daXX ports.. Dont make any sense but not really gonna change anything . If you research the ports you will find that only 5% of the containers coming in to this country are checked anyways so if they want to blow us up or sneak stuff in they didnt need to buy it to do it.. IMO

<!--EDIT|BusaSamurai
Reason for Edit: None given...|1140655607 -->

that 5% shid just gets me. anybody can sneek any thing in without a problem or risk for getting caught.. somebodys pockets are gettin fat from this deal.....

Since the bombing of the twin towers, 9/11 has been slammed down our throats. With the war in Iraq, search for Bin Ladin, transfer of Muslims to Guantanomo Bay, etc., a paranoia was somewhat instilled in the minds of many American citizens. These actions were often revisited to justify our actions in the Middle East. Now that many minds are conditioned to be cautious around Muslims (no disrespect to our Muslim friends), they want us to relinquish the management of our ports to the same people that we are watching extra carefully. Manage our ports which have been identied as a major weekness in Homeland Security. Please, I don't mean to appear racist in any way. It just doesn't make sense. I just learned that a London company have current control. Well, I don't agree with that either. If Homeland Security can oversee FEMA, Why can't they control the ports. Is anything wrong with creating more jobs for the American citizen? Sorry everyone. I'm finished.

okay.. keep in mind i am arab.. and i am muslim... okay, with that out of the way..

i kind of laughed when i heard about the port renting out.. but i can tell you , UAE is one of the richest countries in the world.. just ask NitrousJunkie.
smile.gif

MOney must be a huge deal in this thing..

i have been to United Arab Emirates several times..
i can tell you this from what i have seen.. the UAE does not tolerate extrimist of any kind.. the government does not support Extremist or the Taliban or Al-Qaeda.. etc..
i know the media may say something different, but this is what i believe.. what the media is failing to tell you is yes, maybe individual people there.. some very very very rich.. are supporting Al-qaeda.. etc.. terrorist through back doors.. yes i believe that is happening or can easily happen..

i have said this many times.. not all muslims are terrorist and not all terrorist are muslims.. in fact, in reality, you can not be a terrorist and be a muslim.. it goes against the whole principle of islam.. just a lot of misguided and brainwashed people.

back to the port thing.. if they are allowed to hire their own UAE port guards.. that is very risky.. because, yeah mabye some of these guards could also be brain washed..

bottom line.. UAE is very rich and getting richer.. getting ready to build the tallest towers in the world. unbelievable the amount of riches there... my father works there.. so i visit every so often.. so my guess the money bought out over the security risk.

sorry for the huge long post..and i know this can go in a bad direction and get deleted.. i hope not.. not tryiing to start anyhting here.. but i think some people here United "Arab" Emirates.. and so ohh crap.. another Arab.. its nothing like any other Arab nation there.. i cant imagine our security improving with this deall. unless we get gobs of money and throw it at improving the coast guard etc...

sorry if anyone is offended..

I think that many only hear what they want kkattan...so far this week, the news keeps touting that two of the 9/11 terrorists came from UAE...sure, Americans should be leary, but we can't start naming countries that harbor terrorists and treat 'em as such when we have 'em here in our own country...some of 'em are AMERICANS...

That's where the arguments begin...UAE gave us two of the XX terrorists from 9/11...our brains shut off and poof, we don't hear much more...if security becomes an issue, God help the existing administration at the time...if all goes well, Bush didn't do us any harm...it's hard to play armchair politics anymore...

Your points are well taken though
smile.gif

i agree,
if you look at the past few years.. muslims and arabs have made a bad reputation of them selves.. its un fornate.. but its true..
sad.gif

i dont think it is paranio to be scared to rent or lease out the ports to UAE.. just wanted to give a backround on UAE above.. but still i think its a bad move attracted by lots of money..

i understand why most people feel they way they do about Muslims and Arabs.. i cant blame you guys for feeling the way you do.. its normal..(look at the crazy and extreme reaction to the cartoon protest.. way out of hand)
I am disgusted with the way alot of these extremist and terrorist are acting..
sad.gif

sometimes i feel like i have to apologize to the rest of the world for what these mindless "Muslims" are doing..

please remember this is not correct Islam.. peace to all.
smile.gif

khalid

sad.gif

To be fair...
Yes, most Americans think the average Arab or Muslim types are possible terrorists.

It's human nature...
But can you really say that most Arab or Muslim types don't think the average American is an Infidel or Capitolist pig.

People all over the world tend to stereotype...
Right or wrong, that's life.

I try to get to know people before I judge them, but I am not perfect and do tend to judge some books by their cover before I really know them...

And if I'm wrong, I might have lost what could have been a good friend and ally...

David

i have typed a million things and backspaced every bit of it , ill just say that i disagree with our current political situation and cant wait for things to change -
blues.gif

To be fair...
Yes, most Americans think the average Arab or Muslim types are possible terrorists.

It's human nature...
But can you really say that most Arab or Muslim types don't think the average American is an Infidel or Capitolist pig.

People all over the world tend to stereotype...
Right or wrong, that's life.

I try to get to know people before I judge them, but I am not perfect and do tend to judge some books by their cover before I really know them...

And if I'm wrong, I might have lost what could have been a good friend and ally...

David
yes.. you are right.. most people do.. its unfortunate.. but that is life.. almost everyone does (if not everyone).. the trick is catching yourself and stoping yourself from sterotyping that is hard.. i have been sterotyped before many times.. people look at me, then i talk. sometimes they do a double look.. like what.. i have a southern draw.. i was raised in Tennessee.. so its funny seeing an arab with a southern accent. they are like what.. something aint right here...
smile.gif

i think it might be just the fact that people are different.. i just moved to detroit.. 82 percent African American.. at first i was overwhelmed because i have never lived in city that is majority African American.. now.. no problem... sometimes we get scared or go into defensive mode when we see people act/look different from us..
smile.gif

thanks everyone!! i really like this forum.. and appreciate everyones open mindness.

smile.gif

Back