Popping/dying/stumbling

Jonesy

Registered
So some of you have read I picked up a '99 Busa yesterday. Got it home early early this morning (3:30AM). Went to bed, got up, went to start it, I could smell the old gas. They said it sat for a year, I guess they didn't use Stabil or Sea Foam. Crank crank crank no start. Mkay great. I pull the plugs, yup, they're toast. Put a set of fresh NGK's in, starts right up. The bike still runs rich, I can smell it, I'm sure mostly due to the poor fuel in it.

Now I go put fuel in the bike, start to jump on it, and the bike stumbles and dies. Mkay, start it back up, rev it, get going. I make sure the R's are up before I jump on it again, roll into it, it starts to break up but then pulls through. It has also died at a long idle.

The bike has a PC, Full Yosh System, and K&N. I'm sure it's the bad fuel, but I'm a little paranoid about it. I'm going to add a can of Sea Foam to this full tank, ride it out, see what happens. I know I should probably get it to a shop to tune the PC on the dyno. It did come from Michigan to Iowa. Checked the battery, sitting at 12.4 and running it's throwing 13.4, checked at the battery. What are your thoughts?

Thanks all

Dustin

old gas varnished up.fuel filter I'm sure is plugged,fuel pump,fuel rail and injectors are filthy no dought.gonna need a good cleaning

dump the old gas...forget about running it through.
disconnect the rail feed and remove the TBs... get as much of that old gas out as you can.
Pour in some fresh stuff with your favorite injection cleaner....
if it ran/runs for a little bit...then it's prolly not varnished yet...but water gets in and separation takes place first.

I'd stick with the bad fuel theory. Drain the tank and put in some high test with some additive and see if you can run it through.

It's got fresh in it now, the auto parts store was closed so the Sea Foam is going in tomorrow. I road around after I put plugs in and it was LOW on fuel when I stopped, I guess the light came on. So I topped it off, and will add the Sea Foam, prolly run two tanks of it to make sure. Hope that does the trick.

BAD GAS......i would not suggest "running it through"......if that gas or tank gas gotten ANY WATER in it......ALL BAD!!!!
firedevil.gif
WATER DOES NOT COMPRESS!!!! that means your taking a risk at doing major damage to your engine, ie.. bend a rod,vavle,bearing damage, and poss hydraulicing the motor. if i where you(not knowing any history on the bike), i would AT LEAST drain fuel tank and line, put fresh fuel in w/injector cleaner, and change oil and filter. run the bike, and see if problem gets better or goes away altogether. keep us updated on outcome.

Haha no problem, I hijacked it myself!

Yeah I think all the old is out of it. Whatever didn't make it out will be mixed with the Sea Foam, and since water would rise to the top, the Sea Foam will take care of it.

Drain tank. One can Berryman B-12 Chemtool, full tank of premium, run through. Then add one half can berryman B-12 per tank for at least two tanks full.....like "Dad" said, varnish build-up everywhere, from the inside of the tank, fuel pump and filters, in the fuel rail and the injectors.......not to mention the valve seat area and intakes...don't screw the pooch before you really get to feel the bite....
super.gif
"and" please don't hurt your Hayabusa through ignorance.....Got Gear
rock.gif
coolold.gif

heck put a TRE in it.
it is the fix all correct
j/k

clean that system out and check fuel pressure pump might be going south

Yeah how did it work for you. My brother in law just had a siimiliar problem with his busa, it turned out that one of the plug wires was not seated correctly. So be sure to check that you really pushed down on those suckers when you put the new plugs in.

Speedadict - I put new plugs in it after I got it home, the coils are all seated well.

It rides fine under normal riding, so I'm working the can of Sea Foam through the first tank now.

Johnnycheese - I'm going to borrow a fuel pressure tester from a friend to check FP. Where should it be around?

Spudley - Thanks for the post, I didn't get the "got gear" part. Are you asking if I have riding gear? If so yes, this isn't my first bike, in fact I just sold my VMax a few days ago. *GASP* Yes I had a modded VMax and lived to tell the tale! ;)

After a charge, it's at 12.8ish, at idle the bike is at 13.4-13.6, on a low rev, it drops to 12.6-12.9. I did NOT take the bike past 5K R's though to check there.

If it is a charging issue, what are the parts in the system? Stator, battery, is it internally regulated?......... This is where I'm unfamiliar with this bike, and not sure what is common to fail etc..

Fact 2. It's had 1 full tank of injector cleaner with fresh fuel, working on tank two. I'm getting LESS than 25mpg, obviously very poor. This bike has a Power Commander on it. Possible that the tune is THAT bad and pushing that much fuel to cause it to cut out? Remember, I changed the plugs to get the bike to even RUN when I got it back the next day, and they were BLACK and SOAKED with fuel. On a rev, it's puffing BLACK smoke out the pipe. Should I try and un-plug the PC and go on a stock tune?

How about Air Temp Sensors or the like starting to fail or get dirty?

Time to find a tuner, and re-map...."then" go after electrical issues....wouldn't run if you had any, and you'd pop a warning light...and yes, if you pulled soaked plugs out, you have / had a fuel delivery issue.......get it on a dyno, rework things, and report.....
super.gif

Well, first pull with the PCII on the bike, 148rwhp with a garbage A/F ratio. Best pull with the PC off the bike, 156 rwhp with a ton better a/f ratio. The shop I was at doesn't have the stuff to tune on the PCII, so I think a PCIII is in my future with a dyno tune.

I think the bike has been fouling the new plugs I had put in it Sunday, as it's progressively gotten worse until today, and at WOT in 1st and 2nd the bike was stumbling bad but did somewhat work out of it a few pulls boiling the tire as long as I wanted it to. Most of the time though I get the throttle to around 80% and it picks back up.

I've got a fresh set of plugs to throw in tomorrow, and go for another ride with the stock tune.

Fresh plugs in, stock tune, so far so good. I think lowering and a tire are in order before I go after more HP for now.

Back