Polish stock mufflers and cut mud flap

Zoo

Registered
I'm looking for some how to guides.

How to cut the rear mudflap in the rear. I want it to look professional and I'm not sure how to cut it with no jagged edges. Any suggestions?

Also has anyone polished their factory mufflers? If so is there any how to's or pictures?

Thanks,

Tim

cutting the mud flap is probably one of the easier thing you will do.

I purchased some flush mount turnsignals and cut off the flap and the signals and mounted the flushmounts on either side of the brake lights, by drilling a small hole in the plastic to run the wires directly behind the flushmounts and wha laa!

As far as the mud flap, a dremel will work wonders here, and you basically cut it to your own desires. Then when you are done with the cut, you can use a razor blade to get rid of all the excess melted plastic caused by the dremel, and finally run over the edges with a find grit sand paper and it will look as good as it can get.

Kinda vague, but if you take a look at the fender on the bike, you can pretty much see what you gotta do.

OH YEA.. after the fender was removed, i took off the hump, and checked for clearance, then i drilled to small holes through the tray just under the brake light and using 2 L shaped brackets i mountd my plate, and the stock light still lights er up.

Good luck man

scott

here is a pic of what it will look like when you are done

Picture_016.jpg

The first link Oracle posted was my first cut. Here's what I ended up with after another chop session.

I ended up making the entire cut with a razor blade. I used a small fine cut metal file to shape it up and remove any rough edges and then smoothed the edge with fine grit sandpaper. The finishing touch was warming the edge up with a heat gun and rubbing the edge good with my hands while it was warm. That really smoothed it up nicely. The edge is really clean looking now.
wink.gif

As for polishing the cans, basically you just start with sandpaper to sand them smooth and remove any texture and machining marks. You'd probably start with 220 grit or so. Then you'd just progress through to finer and finer grit papers to remove the scratches from each previous grit. I'd probably go 220-400-800-1000-1500 grits. After you've gone through all the grits you'd start with some polishing compound and preferably some sort of power polishing tool. Could be a drill or some other rotary tool with a polishing attachment. You'd start with a fairly course compound and again progress through to fine compounds and finally to finishing compounds.

I've polished metal before but not busa cans. Mostly on guns and knives made of stainless steel. The busa cans are aluminum though. As long as you use compounds formulated to work well for polishing aluminum it shouldn't be a problem. Lots of work though and a HUGE mess. My stock cans are just laying in the garage. I've thought about giving them a mirror job but it won't happen until I'm done with my repaint project. When I do it though I'm going to take lots of pics and put together a nice little how-to. I really enjoy doing that kind of stuff and then helping others do it themselves.
wink.gif

I'm actually looking into putting together a website dedicated to bike mods and detailing, polishing metal, etc... Time and money may keep me from doing it anytime soon, though. Sucks to work the hours I put in and not have any freakin' money to do stuff with!
drooling3.gif

Back