Police officers' physical fitness?

Registered
It just dawned on me the other day when we had to administrately discharge one of my Marines from active duty. He is being discharged for being over our height and weight standards. All branches have standards, but I guess we're the only branch that will root you out instead of hiding you, which I have no problem with. Having said that, what makes the police officers or law enforcement personnel so different? The majority of our police officers are "stand up" guys, but what about the rest that looks like a food blister making the same salary?

Last edited:
He's too tall to be a Marine?

Could be there is a certain relativity that needs to be maintained between your height and weight :dunno: If you 250lb @ 6'2" you may be ok but if you are 5'2" @ 250 they may try shove you out the hatch, if they can fit you through it :laugh:

Could be there is a certain relativity that needs to be maintained between your height and weight :dunno: If you 250lb @ 6'2" you may be ok but if you are 5'2" @ 250 they may try shove you out the hatch, if they can fit you through it :laugh:

Actually 214 lbs is the max for a 6'2" male.

According to the military websites, there is a height limit....

My guess would be equipment and gear.

Like putting a guy who is 6 foot 8 inches into a submarine.

The money involved gearing up a guy who is huge,or one the size of Gary Coleman,is prolly not very cost effective.

A scrawy little guy who cant lift,climb,run,etc as good as the rest of the platoon would be a bit of a hinderance to say the least.

"Hey Sarge,can you carry my field pack for me,its too heavy." *SLAP*

RSD.

All branches have standards, but I guess we're the only branch that will root you out instead of hiding you, which I have no problem with.

Actually, the Navy is also doing this and has been doing so for a few years now. You are correct though that the USMC has never waivered/faltered in enforcing the body fat/height-weight standards (which are the MOST stringent among all brances) since day one.

lol...when i went into the air force i couldnt go in until i GAINED weight...lol...took 3 months to gain 2.5 lbs and after the third time to syracuse they just said i was 105 and let me in...lol..but all the trying to gain weight was tasty...:whistle:

My guess would be equipment and gear.

Like putting a guy who is 6 foot 8 inches into a submarine.

The money involved gearing up a guy who is huge,or one the size of Gary Coleman,is prolly not very cost effective.

That was a problem I encountered in the Army. I am 6'7" and was in the field artillery. The inside height of a self propelled M109 howitzer was only about 5'9". Talk about a stiff neck.

??? lol wait they didnt know he was tall before he got in? it seen to me once you are in then you are good but to later to turn around and say we going to put you out because you are to tall i think that a lot of bullsh#t :cheerleader:

btw the max wt @ 6'2" is 214, 6'3" is 220 once you break that point, you will be taped for bodyfat. I got taped every time.... 18% bf is the max I stayed around 12-14.

I have heard, but not confirmed, that if you have a special billet in the USMC (ie All Marine Power lifter, football offensive line) there are waivers as long as you are in that billet.

at 6'2" you're allowed to be 207 in the army. if you're over table weight (bmi) then you get "taped". they measure your neck and your gut and put it all into some little algorithm with your age and it decides what your body fat percentage is. i will probably never make table weight, ever.

Most of the law enforcement (except NYPD) officers has a higher salary than your average active duty soldier. Why can't the police adhere to their height and weight standards like the rest of the military? I worked with Rockaway Borough Police Dept when I was in Jersey, and their police chief wasn't taking none of that. He would make sure that his troops are in good shape, and it shows. How can you serve and protect the community if you can't even run after a criminal for half a mile without gasping for air?

Last edited:
Most branches of the military will do a waiver on your weight/height if your body fat percentage is lowere than the 18%.

I had a waiver like this most of the time I was in.

I was 5'9 and my weight was 209. My body fat was just under 11% and the weight was from muscle mass.

If you are a body builder or something like that the military will normally waive these standards.

Most branches of the military will do a waiver on your weight/height if your body fat percentage is lowere than the 18%.

I had a waiver like this most of the time I was in.

I was 5'9 and my weight was 209. My body fat was just under 11% and the weight was from muscle mass.

If you are a body builder or something like that the military will normally waive these standards.

Agreed! FWIW, I have a troop who is just over 7 foot tall, and he is fine with height...it's his waist size that is a problem! In the USAF part of our semi-annual PT test is a waist measurement. To get max points your waist has to be under 34"...his waist is over 36 with a concave mid section! But he does have the advantage in the running portion in which his normal running stride is nearly one step to every three of mine, so he can get the max running points much easier to offset his waist point loss.

Why would you run after a criminal for a mile????? That's what cars are for, you run up on him and bump him a tad, a messed up leg slows them down a lot. My patrol car was always used for running. I sure wasn't going to at 240lbs with a bullet proof vest on in 90+ degree heat with 90% humidity. Not enough pay for that!

I get pretty peeved when I see an obviously obese officer of the law. You never know what physical activity, as an officer, that you might be subjected to. I believe if you wear a badge to 'protect & serve' you should be able to do so better than the average Joe.

I get pretty peeved when I see an obviously obese officer of the law. You never know what physical activity, as an officer, that you might be subjected to. I believe if you wear a badge to 'protect & serve' you should be able to do so better than the average Joe.

Amen.

Back