Point blank:  who has ridden both

Pac, I've messed with my diablos too and almost never get any spin, EVEN in rain - which I don't ride in normally.  Even their cold stick, sticks better than some warmed up  
biggrin.gif
 ok, that's an exageration.  gonna take a lot to pry me off that sticks 99.9 percent of the time.  I've never experienced the wear = slippery aspect and I've ground two all the way down until the cords were showing [which isn't the brightest thing]

Jinkster, we're prayin at the same church.  I want stick over milage.  TWO wheels needs all the help it can get on the variety of crappy roads we call America.  Yeah, my Diablos wear down pretty fast [except for these st00pid Stradas!!] but they never let me down - even in winter.  I'm afraid the Powers are more track oriented and not so much regular street where as I want a good balance.  I'm on streets 90% of the time so I need great stick and 'road' handling - not track tires.  but the jury is still out.  Which is why I'm seeking feedback.  Heard too much negative about Dunlop tires over the years - and the fact the stealer sells them to kids that like spinning alot - even though the Qualifiers HAVE TO BE miles ahead of their past street offering, like Kawasaki, they have a number of years to makeup in merit and reputation to me.  But please keep us posted on your opinions of them
Hmm...another chalk line for Pirelli.

I'm still curious to hear about my bruddah Kento's take on 'em.

Leaning towards re-shodding with the Diablo....

OK POINT BLANK...

Both Are Old News, Metzlers New Sportec M3 Offers better grip wet and dry and about 40% more life.  Better than the Sportec M1 which are basically your diablo's.  Same Same.

So more of the same feel, fast warm up, great feedback and a smooth ride...

NoW Be about your Day! Rev has spoken...

laugh.gif
 Thought I'd try it...  Seriously though, Sportec M3's are the shiznit from what I have been hearing Think of em as Pilot Powers without the fast tire wear and much better wet traction from what I have heard.
Damn...another tire to look at. The M3's sound tasty...

Time to go look at the price.

that's pretty damn high praise for a sets of tires.  I may ditch this bt56j and really try a set this saturday and see what happens.
rock.gif
  Local wrench monkeys quoted me about the same prices for either the PP's and Q's anyway.
get the Q's cause I emphatically stand behind the high praise i give the Q's...and there's not a doubt in my mind that anyone here who try the Q's will ever come back and say..

"Hey Jinkster! You wer full of SHID!"

cause they won't..and some (if not "many") will thanks me for my solid and accurate review..as again...the Pilot Powers wer heads and tails over the stock BT056 rubber buuuuuut...even the great PP's can't hold a candle to the "IN YOUR FACE" traction, handling and perfomance levels i found in the qualifiers...btw...I took my truck to work yesterday cause it rained all yesterday...but this morning?..I had a great weather report...however...the roads were still satyrated this morning from the rains the night before...as I thought...cool...wet roads..."Test Time"...and I hit the curves hard...a tad harder than i ever dared with the pilots...and the qualifiers seemed to never even know it rained out...and I rode'im like the roads weren't wet...no problemo...all stick...zero slippage...cool.
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|JINKSTER
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147904045 -->

I myself will not ever use the Diablo's on my Busa again. They made my Busa a most ill handling bike, i couldn't stand them.
Then i mounted the Qualifiers. It's like the bike is neutral again, it's a whole new machine. Great grip and wear. These tires can survive many a rollling burnout with little wear to be shown. I too wasn't a big Dunlop fan until i started using the Q's. They are "the" new tire to get.

+1 on ya Jinkster.

I myself will not ever use the Diablo's on my Busa again. They made my Busa a most ill handling bike, i couldn't stand them.
Then i mounted the Qualifiers. It's like the bike is neutral again, it's a whole new machine. Great grip and wear. These tires can survive many a rollling burnout with little wear to be shown. I too wasn't a big Dunlop fan until i started using the Q's. They are "the" new tire to get.

+1 on ya Jinkster.
Thanks GM...and well said...cause despite them being dunslops?...like you say?...these are "THE" new tires to get...he11...here I was almost "expecting disappointment" but...within 1 freaking mile of slaloming to scuff'em in from brand new?..I was like....

"Whoa...these are some badazz skins...dunlop finally got everything right"

that was a week ago...and i'm still shickled titless with'em..and can't wait to hit .6 psuedo track in sebring to give'em a rightous thrashing...cause the old man on the big bully busa is hungry for calimari.
laugh.gif

Thanks again and...L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|JINKSTER
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147911309 -->

+1 on ya Jinkster.
Hmmm...ya don't say, GM?

So far your old Diablos are impressing me. The turn-in is quick, high speed runs are stable and the grip is exceptional.

I've grabbed a good handful of front brake when roads were wet here, and they didn't budge. Not that I'd try it again.

At low speeds, these things are begging to be leaned. At higher speeds, they seem to be perfectly content.

But that's just me with less than a thousand miles on these tires. Mebbe I just don't know them that much.

Could you give me a more in-depth critique about 'em?

The Diablo's:
They made my Busa have a loose feel. These tires made my bike want to fall into turns, almost way too easy. They always felt dicy, my bike always had a quirky feel to it. That was when they were new, as time wore on they just didn't do it for me.

The Qualifiers:
I always have liked the neutral feel the stock BT56's gave the Busa. The Q's have that feel, but in a much better tire with more grip. A very planted feel to these.  Dunlop really hit the nail on the head on this one. Good wear, good grip and a great feel. This tire fit's me well. Add on that these are cheaper than most tires out there and IMO that makes a great tire.

The Diablo's:
They made my Busa have a loose feel. These tires made my bike want to fall into turns, almost way too easy. They always felt dicy, my bike always had a quirky feel to it. That was when they were new, as time wore on they just didn't do it for me.

The Qualifiers:
I always have liked the neutral feel the stock BT56's gave the Busa. The Q's have that feel, but in a much better tire with more grip. A very planted feel to these.  Dunlop really hit the nail on the head on this one. Good wear, good grip and a great feel. This tire fit's me well. Add on that these are cheaper than most tires out there and IMO that makes a great tire.
Ah!!! I see where you're coming from!

I wasn't too big a fan of the BT56's. Made the bike feel cumbersome and lazy in the turns. Sure, they were stable enough and predictable, but it just made flickin the Busa so much harder.

I remember rippin through a set of Esses here...a total of 5 turns, all switchbacks. Total length was about 120-100 yards.

I blew through there at 80mph, flickin the Busa as best I could through the turns.

I did about 4 runs through that section. Afterwards, I could feel the muscles in my arms and legs getting pumped. Took alot to flick that ol' gal around, but it was fun.

I've only tried it once on the Pirellis...but the flickability was definitely different from before.

I see where you're coming from, though. Thanks for the review of the Quals, too...it gives me something to think about.
thumbs-up.gif

<!--EDIT|PACIFICBUSA
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147917024 -->

Avons are generally good tires. They have excellent wear resistance and provide a decent amount of grip.

I'll be getting a set after I try out the M3's.

ummm...

“Overall traction was excellent, at all lean angles. This tire felt like it was putting down a big footprint, and feedback was superb, communicating what was happening at the contact patch at all times.â€
—Sport Rider Street Tire Test

“Awesome, predictable traction with great stability.â€
—Sport Rider Street Tire Test

<span style='color:red'>“The Qualifiers scored the highest average marks in all categories, and the highest SR Rating in the test.â€
—Sport Rider Street Tire Test</span>

“The new (front) profile allows for easier turn-in, yet it doesn’t give up anything on stability—either with straight line or trail braking.â€
—Cycle News

“…the new front was magic, allowing the bike to flick from side to side easier—and providing better feel and input the entire time.â€
—Cycle News

“The rear Qualifier has better side grip and better traction, which translates to a drop in lap times. What else do you want?â€
—Cycle News

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|JINKSTER
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147922699 -->

I'm sure the Q's are decent enough tires, but I gotta ask why MOST of the track day traffic I see DOESN'T use them? You can bring whatever ya like to the trackday. Most of the higher skillset riders seem to run the Powers and Pirelli race rubber on the track.... very few Dunslip to be found. I have seen a few Dunlapped slicks running but definitely the minority. I know the Q's are pretty new and maybe not so popular yet. I'll wait and see.

In the meantime, I'm still leaning toward Diablo [or M3] since I LOVE the fall into corner feel.... especially with a 180 fitted on the back. I remember when I first tried them - the way I explained to a friend was "My busa FEELS light and tossable like a freaking 600 now!" Yeah they are getting older now, but I'm sure there will be plenty more tires burned up and time to experiment.
smile.gif

I'm sure the Avons are decent too. It seems to me that a majority of riders will not get close to 75% of what the tire can do, and that most of the best of breed tires are all fairly similar and more than good enough for that 75% reach. just know your feel and tire pressures, and any tire is great
smile.gif

Another thing to remember is whenever you get new tires, they always FEEL WAY BETTER than the previous set - since that set was worn off, flat spotted, grippier tread gone, lighter feeling [heavier new tires feel more planted] - new set ALWAYS feel great compared to the ones ya just took off.

smile.gif

I'm sure the Q's are decent enough tires,

Another thing to remember is whenever you get new tires, they always FEEL WAY BETTER than the previous set - since that set was worn off, flat spotted, grippier tread gone, lighter feeling [heavier new tires feel more planted] - new set ALWAYS feel great compared to the ones ya just took off.
"I'm sure the Q's are decent enough tires,"

that's the funniest comment i heard this week...cause a week ago I'd of disagreed with you by saying "Dunslop?...Decent Enough? Same Sentence?..LOL!"...due to lackarubba i was basicall forced to buy'em..and now?...I'd fightcha over'em!
biggrin.gif

"Another thing to remember is whenever you get new tires, they always FEEL WAY BETTER than the previous set - since that set was worn off, flat spotted, grippier tread gone, lighter feeling [heavier new tires feel more planted] - new set ALWAYS feel great compared to the ones ya just took off."

covered that in squid 101...and absolutely took such into consideration with every eval and comment i've made thusfar..and i'm tell'in ya folks...i'd stake my life on the following comment by saying that as far as the street/dot/sport tires are concerned?...the qualifier "IS"...the next generation of street/sport tire..as the Q's set a whole new standard...diablows?..huh!
laugh.gif
..puleeeeze!
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|JINKSTER
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147924554 -->

laugh.gif

*jumps in the room, looks from side to side*

What?! Who wants to fight? Huh? HUH? Where ya at? Put up yer dukes!

The diablos feel pretty good jinks...at least to me.

well, if the Q WASN'T decent, Dunlump would sure be stupid to even release it considering the quality competition in the tire scene.

Jinks, have you ridden Diablos before? I don't recall reading you had. They may or may not have a comparably weaker sidewall than teh Qs, but I want to make SOME consessions for STREET riding. Perhaps the Qs are more track focused - like all the new bikes coming out also. I respect your input on the Q's but I'll wait until the 2nd gen. They always make adjustments after some live trial time.
smile.gif

Man things are getting fiesty around here.
I am curious about the mileage of the "Q's" maybe Jinkster will give us updates as the miles pour on. I am hearing around 5000 miles from a set of Pilot Powers is the average. Thats nearly twice what I got out of my Stock Bridgestone (rear anyways). I would be happy with 5000 miles (or one season for most people) I would think. The conversation here is based on "street tires" which are supposed to live for a decent enough period of time yet also offer decent grip for todays modern sport bikes. Every one of the brands being discussed here make DOT trackday type tires which I am sure would never see 2000 miles on the street. If you only care about traction and handling this would be the logical place to start. Most of us dont need them. If you do, you probably ought to be on a track anyway. This segment is becoming the most hotly contested in Motorcycling hence all the new offerings. I am diggin this man there is so much to choose from out there that it makes me want to try em all. at the moment I am torn between the PP's or the M3's personally. After that who knows?

I'm just gonna order Pilot Slicks. I do enough track/twisty riding that I might as well get it for grip. But if it rains or have a run in with law enforcement.....I'll be in BIG TROUBLE.

well, if the Q WASN'T decent, Dunlump would sure be stupid to even release it considering the quality competition in the tire scene.

Jinks, have you ridden Diablos before?  I don't recall reading you had.  They may or may not have a comparably weaker sidewall than teh Qs, but I want to make SOME consessions for STREET riding.  Perhaps the Qs are more track focused - like all the new bikes coming out also.  I respect your input on the Q's but I'll wait until the 2nd gen.  They always make adjustments after some live trial time.  
smile.gif
WWJD....yes...i have "RIDDEN" Diablos many times before...as a matter of fact?..I've "ridden" just about every current popular street/sport tire that ever been bought to commercial market over the past 4-5 years...how and why you ask?...simple...I've installed and tuned Ivans Jet Kits in several pre '03 R6's..a couple ZRX's annnnd..about 1/2 the Pre'06 Yamaha FZ1's in the state of florida...and after the installation and tuning of each and every jet kit I installed?...I was always the one to take the first post installation "Test Ride"...to make certain that I did give my customer a crisp smooth throttle response and to run it up to redline to ensure there was no "Carb Bowl Depletion" going on and finally to make ceratin the bike had the expected...added..get up and go...and my customers always left with huge grins on their respective faces...and it's through all that which I had the opportunity to "RIDE" all these tires...in all sorts of "Condition Of Wear"...and yes..."New" Diablos?...are so steeply pitched in profile that they steer extremely quick..too quick..because they simply "FALL" into turns as new...with almost zero feel of control...leaving the agressive rider spending far to much concentration on steering input because they are so "QUICK"...annnnnnd..."UN-FORGIVING"...and as the miles increase?..it gets worse...as the oh so peaky profile wears a flat spot in the center rather rapidly...that usually gets bigger at a pretty fast pace...and then?...once about 1/2 life wear gets on'em?...the flat spot in the middle has grown considerably larger leaving even well seasoned riders gasping and grasping for confidence as the now 1/2 worn diablos transition from that flat spot in the middle?..to that oh so steep profile still left on the sides...every time you enter a turn...not good..and not for me...and is why I haven't "OWNED" diablows.

And even though I had a deep seated hatred for dunlops a week ago?..I just gotta give credit where credits due...as dunlop has come a long way after what I experienced with these new Q's..light years...and way ahead of any agility/traction/confidence levels of any steert/sport tires I've ever "RIDDEN" on before...but hey...I ain't here to sell freaking tires..just to help out others by sharing my honest opinions and experiences...as the masses will do as they will..but if you're an agressive rider looking to "get to the next skill level"...Q's are the shid...and they will immediately "Take You There"...with trust and confidence..and imnsho?...i'd be a damn shame not to at least try'em...and I'd stake my name and word on that one...cause if you try'em?..you'll be hooked like I currently and oh so happily am.
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Back