Please read. I just need your brief attention.

NCBusa2001

Registered
Ok, here it is. I need some help evaluating a project I might explore. Basically, all opinions are welcome. Is it worth pursuing or am I nuts.

The idea is based on the concept of speed technology. Our bikes are advanced our helmets are not. Consider this the FASTEST man on earth is truly Jeff Hamilton (or people in his class who ever holds the current title). He is able to reach speeds of over 150 mph completely unassisted. Except for a pair of skis and some high tech clothing, boots and HELMET.

Please view pics below and ask yourself a few questions.
1) Do I travel at speeds over 150? (Well?)
2) Does my helmet look like that? (Mine don’t)
3) Does my head really tuck perfectly under the shield? (No way)
4) Wouldn’t it be nice to have your head keep relatively still without killing your neck muscles? (Possibly minimizing or eliminating another “distraction†to your concentration).

Should I waste my time on this thought or does, “Shoei†have it covered. I haven’t seen ANY helmets of DOT and SNELL rating that look like Jeff Hamilton’s helmet. Doesn’t the “tuck†look exactly like ours?

Just a thought. Oh, I hope I won’t read on the board a year from now about how someone made a million bucks from some manufacturer for a radical design. If I make this it will be “home based†and all (well probably most) of any profits will be devoted to getting together rallies in different parts of the country for members.

PLEASE, comment. Chris

152mphski.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting indeedy! I agree with your thoughts on this and there MUST be a way around the head mobility part. I still wanna twist around and check that blind spot before changing lanes or tunring. Perhaps a flexible neck collar or something? The other interesting thing in the pics in teh suit - seems puffy or perhaps air filled to create an "air-stream" style of smoothness for areo-dynamics. I could see how all the zippers, seams, and even the bug catching texture of my leather jacket would slow down wind tunnel results. Another avenue of people dynamics in speed you should add to yoru research is skydivers. Average flyers do 120, but skilled ones break 200+ something if I recall. They too have helmets and suit materials assisting.

If you can fabricate such a useful device you should really approach with a business purpose in mind. If I was loaded, I'd back ya!

I'm still waiting for someone to invent a helmet/shield with 1/2 more perifial view for that TOTAL FREEDOM feeling.
smile.gif

Personally I really detest big companies "buying ideas". I was involved in a botched idea sale to a watersport company. Made the proposal (of course without laywers), they almost laughed, they used a similar idea the next year, we called, guess what? They were still laughing. F'em.

No I truly perfer home-based business. It employs locals, money stays local, and no one gets filthy rich off of the backs of minimum wage workers.

I was thinking of wind tunnel testing my current helmet. Find a perfect stream angle with plastic sheets. Then fabircate to fit my existing helmet out of fibergalss mat, resin, filler, epoxy, primer, paint, clear coat. Sounds simple but it will be a %*%^$#.
My question is will it be worth my time, or do you think that the wind stream will dangerously divert the riders head, if turned, at highway speed.
Or something else, comments are welcome.
I would hate to spend my riding time working on an idea that was full of it to begin with.

You know what's gonna happen though....... If we steal his helmet idea he's gonna steal our 1300cc injected inline four idea........mount it to his ski's with a 3 foot fan for propulsion.
Who's gonna be faster?
rock.gif
?

I think a helmet needs to be designed to be able to have the rider move his head in all directions while riding, even at highway speeds. Another thing to take into consideration is wind shifts like when going under a bridge or out of a tunnel, and crosswinds. The helmet in the picture is designed for speed in a straight line with minimal head movememt.

WWJD's idea about the neck collar sounds good or maybe a different windscreen that a "regular" helmet would fit into or up against might be an idea.

Honestly guys, I'm not sure making changes to the helmet will help us in high speed runs. We tuck in so much that a helmet like the speed-skiier wore would provide very little benefit.

The way the wind flows over the front of the bike and onto the helmet is relatively smooth compared to the flow of air over our bodies and the rear of the bike.

Changes to our clothing would have a much larger effect on our coefficient of drag. For example, some racers wear that hump on their upper back to smooth out the transition of air flow from the back of the helmet to the back of the rider.

We would get more areodynamic benefit from wearing jackets that taper on the rear facing sections than we would from helmet changes. Look closely at the pics of the speed skiier and his legs. See how the lower legs of his suit flare back? That's what I mean.

Things we can do to create tear drop shapes elsewhere will help us too. Perhaps that is the helmet answer. Make the back half (top half when in a tuck) have a tear drop inspired shape that mates with a jacket hump.

Thanks for the input thus far. I agree that head movement is necessary for "situational awareness", especially on public roads. However, the concept of making helmet "modifications" may still be worth looking in to. I am curious to see if making helmet air flow changes will aid in decreasing unwanted helmet movement and thereby reducing neck fatigue.

My thought is if one could mount some sort of "wing" to the helmet it would change the flow characteristics. The challenge is designing the wing and placing it in the proper location on the helmet to achieve the desired result, less head movement. Possibly a vertical or horizontal wing would do the trick. Possibly a teardrop shape, as suggested by FLCN72. I suppose you could copy the ski helmet design but I believe that exact shape would make the rider look like an oversized penis. (Thereby reducing the magnetic chick attraction the busa seems to have
smile.gif
)

In my perfect world, one could design the “product” as an accessory to the rider’s current helmet. By using an existing helmet I (we or whoever) could avoid having to design a helmet that meets both DOT and SNELL standards (which might take forever and cost mega$$$). By adapting a previously approved helmet would ensure that all safety standard are met. The “Kit” could be made fairly “idiot proof” with well thought out directions and materials. One could also provide installation service for customers who ship their helmet to be modified. Say a 1-2 week turnaround wouldn’t be too much to ask for “custom” work. The wing could be made to detach from the helmet when the rider doesn’t want to ride with a “wing” on his head.

Any more member thoughts would be appreciated. Chris

More brainstorming:
On my ride yesterday, I noticed big time the helmet SHAPE affecting my ride in the wind.  Because it's not a perfect sphere, every time I'd turn my head slightly, it would turn the bike slightly like a freakin airplane wing.  Sure, a sphereical helmet would LOOK totally stupid but it's closer to rain drop dymanics, and wouldn't it be nice to be doing 140 and turning head around without feeling any wind pressure changes?  And that idea is simiar to your racing skier helmet, AND could be an after factory mod to existing helmet [I don't know how but I think it could].  Todays helmets are too pointy.... maybe I shouldn't bee looking around at 140+ hahahahahaha

While yer at it, increase the shield size so I can see more while I'm not looking at the road when I should be  ;)   Opps!  was that a possum or a tree branch I just severed back there???

I advice you to talk to a lawyer after your idea is ready. If you start marketing your mod without copyrights, someone else (big company or not) will get richer based on your idea.

Good Luck!

More brainstorming:
On my ride yesterday, I noticed big time the helmet SHAPE affecting my ride in the wind.  Because it's not a perfect sphere, every time I'd turn my head slightly, it would turn the bike slightly like a freakin airplane wing.  Sure, a sphereical helmet would LOOK totally stupid but it's closer to rain drop dymanics, and wouldn't it be nice to be doing 140 and turning head around without feeling any wind pressure changes?  And that idea is simiar to your racing skier helmet, AND could be an after factory mod to existing helmet [I don't know how but I think it could].  Todays helmets are too pointy.... maybe I shouldn't bee looking around at 140+ hahahahahaha

While yer at it, increase the shield size so I can see more while I'm not looking at the road when I should be  ;)   Opps!  was that a possum or a tree branch I just severed back there???
I hate to poo, poo thinkers. An open forum for ideas to be shared like this is great. It can save thousands in R&D that others have spent.

First of all that wasn't your helmet turning your bike. Your bike will follow your eyes. It is a fact and there is nothing you can do about it. There are several advanced riders courses across the country that will prove this to you. I didn't believe it myself until I took the class. I rode at 30mph down a line to a predetermined point where I was to stop. You have about 30 ft to brake. (Hard braking) As you are braking a red sign pops up on one side or the other. No matter how hard you try you go to the side that the sign pops up.

Second I don't believe you could significantly change a helmet shape enough to affect it's aerodynamics without ruining its functionality. If aerodynamics are a big concern a hard back shell and a lower (aftermarket) tank is an easier option. These are products that have been out for awhile. In fact the cut down tanks are outlawed in many racing circles because of their positive results.

Don't ever take one persons word for anything. I am often proved wrong. Keep thinking. You may be on to something???

The Shoei Daijiro helmet has a lip on the rear for high speed wind deflection. It helps hold your head straight into the wind. Somewhat smoother ride.

You could add 6-7 troy lee helmet fins to the back for stabalization. You could do that. I bet it could work, yea thats it thats the ticket.

The guy at the top looks like 'Dark Helmet' from the movie Space Balls, only in silver.
laugh.gif

I know RSD would have a good comment on this photo.....
o ya... thats it, a bit more to the ........... left................ almost................

tuck_helmet.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back