Please help . Starter clutch upgrade

dragdevil

Registered
Hello guys i have a 99 busa with the well known starter clutch problems .I just bought the starter motor , cover ,gears etc from an 2006 busa to make the upgrade . It did not arrived yet . My question is .... will the starter clutch fit or the teeth are different on an 2006 crankshaft . The other parts will ? Is there any way i use the starter clutch of 2006 combined with the part of the 99 starter clutch that goes on the crankshaft (combining 2 starter clutches. to make one ? ) Thanks

im just as curious as you are, i have an o1 and im looking to do the upgrade as well. let me know how you made out with those parts. ive seen a kit by brise that's supposed to be bolt n go but pricewise its pretty steep for the gen 1's

i'm about to do this on my 2000 busa. bought the parts from a forum member here. as soon as I get them i'll let you know how it goes/

All the 06 stuff will bolt right up with no problems. The starter clutch probably had the one double wide spline slot but it will slide right into the splines in the crank.

Yep. I bought the 03 gear for my 02 and it wont fit. The 03 gear is about a half inch longer. Salvage yard Saturday with delusions of grandeur and finding a cover that will work.

Yep. I bought the 03 gear for my 02 and it wont fit. The 03 gear is about a half inch longer. Salvage yard Saturday with delusions of grandeur and finding a cover that will work.
You need to replace everything starter gears and covers, they are all different.

I just sold a set to quick, im sure he will post up soon. he received the parts on Friday

just did this upgrade this morning. can't thank GIXERHP enough. everything went on easy and it started right up. you can see the difference in the old parts vs the new.
[
100_6875_zpswspvbll0.jpg

100_6874_zpssqtfetta.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
just did this upgrade this morning. can't thank GIXERHP enough. everything went on easy and it started right up. you can see the difference in the old parts vs the new.
View attachment 401550

View attachment 401551

Question for Quicky about this upgrade. I know this post is old, but Do I need to upgrade the case to the 03 on my 02? Or just the covers, starter and pinions? I ask you because I don't see the case on that pictures. Thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Back