Please help me

Here's my advice for the first time 'busa owner (and what I chose to do):

For the first 2 weeks, ride every day in an abandoned area. Up here in Sac, there is a great place behind the airport with tons of roadway and no cars. Get used to the beast and learn your material. If you haven't taken an MSF course, take one immediately. You can kill yourself on a 600cc just as easily as you can on the 'busa. I'm a firm believer in self-control (even though it is very hard sometimes) and setting a plan out for yourself. Ride within the speed limits for a few months, make sure you hold yourself to it. Learn the handling, learn the quirks of the particular bike, learn throttle control to mastery on the bike. Month by month, try something new (slightly faster on an empty backroad, take corners with a little more lean, etc) until you find your comfort level. Ride within this level until you know your bike and it is a part of you. Find experienced riders to critique you and coach you through the process. You'll learn more from a good rider watching you than you will in 6 months of riding by yourself.

Of course, it is always better to start out on a smaller bike, but sometimes your mind is set on something and you have to have it. I just hope you take the time to respect your bike and know your limits... ride within them.

Regards,
Tim

Thanx everybody, by the way, I wasn't pretending to be 16 and trying to get everybody upset... I realize, and I always new it, I'm not ready for something that fast... can anybody tell me a few good looking bikes that would be good first bikes after I take classes and learn how to drive them? thanx in advance

All in all, if you MUST have a busa, i would get one. It is something I am doing and no one can turn me from it. But if you realize it is too much. I would recommend any of the following:
Katana 650 or 750
Ninja 500 R
Ninja 600 R
CBR 600

Katana 650 or 750
Ninja 500 R
Ninja 600 R
CBR 600[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I just looked up pics for those bikes and they look great... and I won't kill myself as fast...

Heres a pic of Katana 750

750FKatana.jpg

MightyM...thanx for listening to our friends at hayabusa.org!!
I am 50 years old..riding motorized bikes since i was 15...
heres the list..39cc husky moped,50cc monark moped,in sweden..then a 100cc hodaka, in nevada,
back to sweden and rode a 500 1952 royal enfield,back to nevada..a brand new yamaha rd 350..8k,tx 500 yamaha..30k,
a 72 honda 750..20k,78 kz1000..25k,then a beast..1985 900
ninja 40k..don't know how i survived that bike...then a gsxr1100..1988..10.76 et @ 128mph ..sac drag strip..and roadraced it at Sears Point..one summer....then a 89 fzr600..
roadraced..done good in the formula 40 class..no crashes.memories for a lifetime...then a kawa concours 1000
for 40k...And NOW the mighty Busa makes me feel like a damn
ROOKIE!!!!Iv'e put about 2.5k on it..whatta ride...ps..
the reason i still rent..Dirt bikes..tm400 cyclone,125 elsinore,yz125,maico250,cr480,83husky500,85kx500,85kx250,
86husky500,87,610 husky thumper,..broke arm bad..healed ok
then 88kx500,89kx250..no dirt bike for a while..then 93xr650l..
sold it..then a few years later..a 97xr650l..somebody help me..I
seem to be ill..LOL..bottom line the Bus is a keeper..OMG..all i can say now..the Hayabusa,and a few...very few..other bikes that have this much horepower and speed..Demand excellent riding skills.....and restraint....from the rider..Difficult at best!!
I'm done..ride safe all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just do not get a bike like hank's first bike, it looks like it can do at least 210mph on the open road.

:confused: My first bike was a 50CC Yamaha YZinger with an auto transmission when I was 5. I still have a 1 in. scar in my elbow from the rock I pulled out of it from the crash I had a the first time I rode it. Got a RM250 Suzuki at 13. Got a Honda Interceptor 500cc at 17 and loved it. 2 FZR's and a YZF 600 I first got a Busa at 28 and with all that riding experience I love my Busa but it has got to be respected and would never recommed it to a beginner . My Dad who has 40 years riding experienc said yi scared the crap out of him and told me I was crazy. I love it anyway. But please learn on something smaller. I guarenty the wait will be worth it.

That's cool, I want a bike and I don't want to start out with anything arounf 50CC or 100CC... 500-600CC is GOOD ENOUGH for me after I take classes and some lessons...  hey this bike Honda CBR600 F4 is 600CC but it's still extremily fast..  

check out the specs...  do your recommend that?CBR600 F4

Before i found the Busa, i was looking at a CBR 954 RR and the interceptor(which cost about the same as a busa). It is very close on the 1/4 mile times. But so is the Gixxxer 600's. I didn't realize that about teh CBR. Thats quite a powerhouse for being a 600.

I got out my buyers guide for '02 heres a new list you might be intersted in:
Honda Interceptor
CBR 600
zx-6R ninja
zx 6
ninja 500r
ninja 250r (its an amazing little machine, red-lines at 14000, fun as hell to ride)
Bandit 1200s
Katana 750
Suzuki sv650s (excellent beginners bike)
GSXR-600 (caution)

A great bike would also be my Sportster 1200 Custom, if you want i can send you pics. Its the ONLY harley capable of holding a wheelie :) opps....
please contact me for pics, i just spent 4 hours cleaning it yesterday.

OH YEAH!! Theres the busa, too.

Honda Interceptor

CBR 600

zx-6R ninja

zx 6

GSXR-600 (caution)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Those are the only bikes that I like... just by looking at the pics... the Honda CBR600 is my favorite tho... just not the F4... F4 is too powerful and fast.. others aren't bad either... I like them...

IMO, If you really like the cbr, ninja, and the gixxer. Go to a dealer and see how they feel. Get one that "fits". When i went and sat on a busa, it was perfect my legs matched up with the tank lines, my position was comfortable. It was just perfect.

But if your goal is a Busa, and you want to lead up to it. I would get a Katana 750, they have nearly the same weight, seat height, wheelbase, gas tank volume, etc...

Who know maybe you'll end up eventually getting a zx-12r(  :hammerhead:  ).

MightyM,
I can understand the fact that your dad is going to insure it for you. My first car at 16 was a 73 Firebird with a 350 under the hood. After we bought it is when we found out how much the insurance was going to be. So my parents insured it for me. Its nice to have someone that is willing to do that for you.
My first street bike was a CBR 600 F3. It was a great bike and alot of fun. I rode it for about 2 1/2 years putting over 30,000 miles on it before trading it in for the Busa. Yes, it is a fast bike but it doesn't top out as fast as the Busa does. But it does get up and go what it to. I would highly recommend it for a first bike.

Why don't you buy a dirt bike. Any dirt bike. Tomorrow. Ride it in the dirt for a while until you can take the MSF class, and then get a nice little used streetbike. It will do you so much good and so much to keep you alive. Get a little 125 or 250. Trust me. They are plenty fast on the trails and open lands. You will at least have a chance of survival if you follow these simple steps. Good luck my young friend.
Gar

Back