Please help in buying my very first Hayabusa

Busa_boy

Registered
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum. I'm in Sydney Australia. I'm in the market for a Hayabusa, but I am doing very heavy research before-hand. I've had a lot of different motorcycles over the last 30 years, of varying styles (Sports bikes, Harleys, dirt bikes) and I'd rank myself a good sensible bike rider.
Ok, so I have researched the Gen I. 1999-2007. Gen II. 2008-Current. I can see the cosmetic changes, speed 299kph restriction, A/B/C mode switch, And finally, the ABS and Brembo upgrade, as well as various colour schemes. I know this much so far!

Is there anything else about these that I haven't covered? Such as known issues, things to look for, problem years, etc?

Any information would be appreciated
Cheers,

Shannon

Welcome and good to see a sensible first post....

When I was searching for a Busa, I decided to go with a Gen 2 only because I wanted the latest rendition of the bike. If I were you I'd look for a 13 or up bike this way you get Brembo calipers and ABS (if you want that).

Earlier gen 1s had a fuel pump issue and early gen 2s had a rectifier issue (was covered under warranty).

The Hayabusa platform is tried, tested and true. The bike is pretty much bullet proof and if all the maintenance has been done regularly, you are golden.

Good luck in hunting your bike.

Thank you. I do have more questions:

The Yoshimira r77 pipes. Are they any good? (Boy they are expensive in Aus!)
Do you need to re-tune (Is this called re-mapping?) after you install these?

Mr Brown. Hello.

Re; My preferred style of riding...

I'm planning an interstate trip. My riding buddy is also looking at the Busa'. We want to tour hard...but play hard too. I did this same intetstate ride some years ago now, but on a 1995 GSXR-1100. They are a bit old now, and the 'Busa is FAR more refined of a machine. So to answer your question, I'm not into track days or racing at 300kph, but I want a good all-round touring bike, that can rock my world when needed :)

Prepping for long distance ride, pics or it didn't happen. Keep us posted, good luck in your search, we bit of info to chew on:

IMG_4196.jpg

Gidday mate!
There's a few Aussies here and a couple of Kiwis so you are in good company lol !
The Gen 2 (08 on) has about 20bhp more than the Gen1 but is slightly heavier.
The Gen 1 has crap brakes also, and the '99 and '00 models have an external fuel pump, which can be troublesome. The '01 onward all have in-tank pumps. All good provided they are serviced on time etc.
The Busa is an amazing machine, all the power you ever want and comfy too.
A great tourer, and can certainly rip it up when necessary.
My advice would be to get a Gen 2 with low kms (under 100,000kms lol) mine has 125,000kms and is still strong and smooth!
You have hit the jackpot finding this community here at the oRg.
We are here to help, but please be civil and community minded, we are a family here!
All the best in your search mate, keep us posted too, we are all watching your progress :thumbsup:
P.S . . . a few of us are professional bike mechanics so any advice, feel free to quiz us, only too happy to help out where we can.

Kiwi Rider. Hi buddy. Thank you very much for your reply and interest in my journey. I feel like I'm already in the 'Busa circle, standing around your BBQ with a beer, talking bikes!! Mate, I'm in my mid 40s and haven't been this excited since my days of Santa and Christmas!!

Thats great information. I'm seriously hanging off every word you all say.

Back