'play' in transmission

kevthebusaboy

Registered
I just bought a 2001 Hayabusa about a month ago. I had a YZF 1000 before. There seems to be a lot of play in the transmission. When I have the bike on a stand and I put it in gear (engine off) I can rotate the back wheel about four inches before the engine resistance stops it. I've read other posts that might suggest the rubber bushings in the back wheel, but I see no movement there. When I ride the transmission seems jerky when I'm shifting at slow speeds. Is this normal or have I bought in to a problem? What is the play in your bike? Can anyone check theirs?
Other than that the bike runs great. It has 22,000 km on it. Thanks

you really need to take the rear wheel off and the gear hub and check the gear cushions, they are probly wore a little.the hesitation you feel in the transmission could come from a wore chain or it needs to be adjusted or your at to low a speed for the gear your in. as far as moving the wheel 4 inches.thats is really not a lot if you think about it. but check your gear cushion 1st if their wore that could be some of your problem.also check to make sure your front or rear gear isn't wore.:D

you really need to take the rear wheel off and the gear hub and check the gear cushions, they are probly wore a little.the hesitation you feel in the transmission could come from a wore chain or it needs to be adjusted or your at to low a speed for the gear your in. as far as moving the wheel 4 inches.thats is really not a lot if you think about it. but check your gear cushion 1st if their wore that could be some of your problem.also check to make sure your front or rear gear isn't wore.:D
What he said.

First thing I would check is make sure the chain isn't too loose.

--Wag--

Thanks for the input. I'll check the drive cush things. I just had a new chain put on and it doesn't seem too loose. Can anyone else try this (check the play) and let me know what it is. If it is similar I won't sweat it. I appreciate the feedback! This is a great site!

I'll check mine tonight. It's up on stands waiting for me to pass my 6 month, can't ride after back surgery, period.

I'm glad you posted this question, Kev.  

I have an 02.  It has about the same mileage as yours and has the slack that you mentioned.  It's on stands in the garage right now because I'm replacing the chain and both sprockets.  

I also suspected the bushings and chain, but with the chain off, on first gear, and turning the front sprocket by hand, the slack is definitely there.  
rock.gif
I've had the bike since new and the slack became noticeable beginning January of this year.  

Oh, I also have the loud metallic pop when starting the bike.  
crazy.gif

mad.gif

If someone has experienced these and knows the cures, please help.

Thanks.

(kevthebusaboy @ Aug. 30 2006,18:51) When I have the bike on a stand and I put it in gear (engine off) I can rotate the back wheel about four inches before the engine resistance stops it.
This seems about normal. That is why they say to put it into gear then roll your bike forward before putting it on the kickstand or it can roll forward and fall off the kickstand.

I bought my busa last winter, an 02 with around 20,000miles on her. At begining of summer, I really noticed how smooth the bike was. Now after hard riding all summer I feel the same slack you guys are talking about. Engine off, first gear, 6 inches of slack before engine catches. Jerky on and off gas as well as when shifting. It sure feels like something in transmission.

Makes me nervous!!! Let me know what u guys think is problem!

Loose chains can make a lot of "transimission slack"

1" of chain movement is recommended by the manual, however a loose chain is better than a too tight chain.

Alright. I know I posted over month ago, so please forgive the late reply.

My bike's back together again. Like you guys said, the slack I found on the gear with the chain off is normal. I now have a new chain and sprockets and the bike is back to the way it was
super.gif
. Thanks a lot, guys.

My only issue with the new front sprocket is that it doesn't have the rubber bushing attached to it like the original. Without it, it sits further inward. I've been riding it for a month and I think it's slowly eating away at my new chain. I'm planning on installing a washer or something of the same thickness as the old. Has anyone here experienced the same when buying aftermarket sprockets? What have you done to correct?

Thanks.

You say the play you found "is normal". What do you consider normal? I can rotate the front sprocket 2 teeth with the chain off in every gear. Seems like way to much play just for gears. Anyone know what else is inside the transmission that would be providing that much play?

Re: 'play' in transmission

Not sure but my guess is a combination of clutch pack slack between the basket and pack with back lash in the transmission. New clutch pack and basket should cut down the free play. It wont be massive gear mesh free play or it would go bang

Mines the same just got to be gentle with the transfer of power from decell to accell

There is supposed to be forward and rearward movement because the gears slide into dogs on the back of the next gear... and not tightly. The back of the basket has springs to dampen this abrupt transition from deceleration to acceleration. If the basket or basket springs wear out of spec, the transition will result in a burst of torque which can be quite dangerous because this transition happens when you are riding your bike mid corner. The basket has got to go. I was going nuts figuring this out! Im waiting on the part to come in. A guy at Brock's explained it to me and said he had the same problem. Replaced the basket and all was good.

I'm glad you posted this question, Kev.

I have an 02. It has about the same mileage as yours and has the slack that you mentioned. It's on stands in the garage right now because I'm replacing the chain and both sprockets.

I also suspected the bushings and chain, but with the chain off, on first gear, and turning the front sprocket by hand, the slack is definitely there.

View attachment 905237 I've had the bike since new and the slack became noticeable beginning January of this year.

Oh, I also have the loud metallic pop when starting the bike. View attachment 905238 View attachment 905239

If someone has experienced these and knows the cures, please help.

Thanks.
I had the loud clunk for a long time, until I figured out it’s that once you pull the clutch in, all the disks need to slow down and stop moving because everything is still turning for a little bit. If you have warped clutch plates or the springs just aren’t strong enough to separate everything totally, then that’s where you should start with that. I bought a $30 set of upgraded ape springs, and it works great now. But keep in mind when you pull the clutch in, keep it held in for a few seconds, the longer the better, Before you attempt to put it in gear. Sometimes it clunks a little bit for me but as of now, when I do that it drops right into gear without making a sound most of the time

I had the loud clunk for a long time, until I figured out it’s that once you pull the clutch in, all the disks need to slow down and stop moving because everything is still turning for a little bit. If you have warped clutch plates or the springs just aren’t strong enough to separate everything totally, then that’s where you should start with that. I bought a $30 set of upgraded ape springs, and it works great now. But keep in mind when you pull the clutch in, keep it held in for a few seconds, the longer the better, Before you attempt to put it in gear. Sometimes it clunks a little bit for me but as of now, when I do that it drops right into gear without making a sound most of the time
this thread u are replying to is almost 16 years old.... just to let cha know. lol.... but still... good to get a conversdation going.

Back