Plating yourself

RedlineStands

Donating Member
Registered
Hey guys. It looks like my headstock stand prototype is getting closer and closer to production as you can see. I was wondering if anybody knows of a means by which I might coat/plate these triple tree machined pins so they don't rust without outsourcing that part of the production?

Ian
REDLINE ENGINEERING - Sportbike Swingarm Stands Sport Bike Stands Motorcycle Lifts Swing Arm Stand Jack Suzuki Honda Yamaha Kawasaki

IMG_2269.JPG

Something industrial that you can do without outsourcing...Just an idea off the top of my head:

If you want a durable finish you can try spray on truck bed liner. The stuff that (and I really, really hate to give them a plug) Wurth sells is really good stuff. A few benefits would be that you get a nice non-slip texture for handling ease, another is that it won't spark if struck with a tool or dropped, it will have some non-scratch characteristics, and it's pretty easy to apply. Oh, and it's chemically resistant to just about everything but paint stripper.

Hey guys. It looks like my headstock stand prototype is getting closer and closer to production as you can see. I was wondering if anybody knows of a means by which I might coat/plate these triple tree machined pins so they don't rust without outsourcing that part of the production?

Ian
REDLINE ENGINEERING - Sportbike Swingarm Stands Sport Bike Stands Motorcycle Lifts Swing Arm Stand Jack Suzuki Honda Yamaha Kawasaki

How about machining the pins out of stainless and skipping the coating.

Whatever ya choose they'll be smokin I know that! Hi Ian!:thumbsup:

Plating yourself? You could look like this:

Dita%2BVon%2BTeese2.jpg

:D

--Wag--

Aluminum and Stainless? I wish! I first machined these pins from 918 steel and they bent under the torque of the bike's weight like hot butter! I proceeded to get stronger and stronger steel each time testing that material. I've tried heat treating these metals in several different fashions. I finally selected a material that is so strong that it will hold up a busa even with a rider sitting on the bike. I won't tell you what that steel is but it's way stronger than stainless. I'd love to be able to use stainless but that stuff would fold like money under the weight. I also can't use any type of thick coating because there's only about 5 thousanths of an inch to spare for the coating/plating....at most. I'll check Eastwood and Ebay for kits. Thanks for the idea!

Ian

Well that leaves Titanium for pins... :whistle:

might check with your metal supplier for something like beryllium but not sure of costs.. it is used in cases where high strength is needed and no sparks.. (I have a couple wrenches made of the stuff) and is ultra strong.. Chromoly could be another option, our race chassis were built exclusively of this..

Last edited:

might check with your metal supplier for something like beryllium but not sure of costs.. it is used in cases where high strength is needed and no sparks.. (I have a couple wrenches made of the stuff) and is ultra strong.. Chromoly could be another option, our race chassis were built exclusively of this..

Beryllium is very strong but is VERY expensive. Mainly due to the strict procedures for machining. It also has its own disease. Berylliosis(sp?)

Berylliosis

Beryllium is very strong but is VERY expensive. Mainly due to the strict procedures for machining. It also has its own disease. Berylliosis(sp?)

Berylliosis
probably only happens in California..

:laugh: only place shooting a gun will give you cancer too..

We usually use a zinc coating with a black dichromate dip over that for any of our hardware that must live outside. It adds about .0004" and is cheap. This will easily pass the 96 hour salt-fog spec used by most ag equipment manufacturers.

We have a local place do them and it's pretty cheap - you should be able to find a plater somewhere near you and get a quote. PM me if you want an actual print of what we use.

I would stay away from the beryllium, it can cause chronic beryllium disease. The only cure is death.

I would stay away from the beryllium, it can cause chronic beryllium disease. The only cure is death.

WOW, just read up on this chit.......stuff is Brutal!! Where is this stuff mainly used?, never heard of it before, and i've been a mechanic all my life......

Aluminum and Stainless? I wish! I first machined these pins from 918 steel and they bent under the torque of the bike's weight like hot butter! I proceeded to get stronger and stronger steel each time testing that material. I've tried heat treating these metals in several different fashions. I finally selected a material that is so strong that it will hold up a busa even with a rider sitting on the bike. I won't tell you what that steel is but it's way stronger than stainless. I'd love to be able to use stainless but that stuff would fold like money under the weight. I also can't use any type of thick coating because there's only about 5 thousanths of an inch to spare for the coating/plating....at most. I'll check Eastwood and Ebay for kits. Thanks for the idea!

Ian

Guess your using "UN-ATAIN-E-UM" :laugh:

I replaced PitBull steal pin #6 with 6061 aluminum pin and it works great.

Can you post a picture of that stand head so we can see why you bended your steel pin?

I think the fear about beryllium poisoning might be a bit blown out of proportion guys... like saying you are going to get black lung from using coal in your furnace.. Or as in CA, lead poisoning from firing a gun in an indoor range (yes CA says you can get poisoned from firing a gun at an indoor range :laugh: )

beryllium tools are used in a large number of apps where danger of sparks are an issue (is why it is used in the first place)

Back