Plastics seems to be melting but where?

Hoopech1

Registered
I recently installed an HMF full system high mount and took heat precautions-over what was recommended by the vendor (used more "heat tape" in a longer area). I put it on the left and right side fairings. I washed it and took it for a ride and when I got back, there was black stuff )crumbled melted black/grey plastic) in the belly wing and the rear of the bike. Funny thing is, there is none past the belly wing (going forward). I took off the fairings (to deal with my other issue) and checked for melting...nothing. I checked all the hoses and other plastics and found nothing.

So where did it come from? Anyone with this exhaust have similar issues and where was the melting occurring? Everything looks fine-but I see that something happened...

new headers may have loosened up so old grime and crud in your fairings and that may be what you have ... dunno.. if there is nothing melted then maybe it could also have been something that you picked up that ride that melted... keep a good eye on it just to make sure!

Well, I found the issue. The bracket/bolt is rubbing the tire and causing the black stuff to get everywhere. I had the bike on the rear stand and had about 1/2-3/4 of an inch clearance-and when off the stand it looks ok too. But when I sit on it, the bike sinks enough for it to rub. I had trouble backing the bike out yesterday, but just thought I was on a slight incline and attributed to that.

But WTF!?! The bracket is installed right and it rubs!?! It is obvious that the bracket is not made right for it to rub on the tire-because there is only one way to install the bracket. Now I have to bend the bracket to get it to clear!?! WTF!?!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Good thing is the tire seems to be OK and I can clean the bike up with a leaf blower. Is this something I should bring up with HMF? Needless to say I am pissed.

mad.gif

mad.gif

you can bring it up with HMF, but also double-check your install.

If worse comes to worse, you can also smoosh the bracket a tad to give you the desired clearance.

All is clear now-I am not going to bother with contacting HMF, I am just happy my bike is nearing completion. I am going to add more heat protection, do the small airbox mod and load the map. I want to drive the bike a while before I do the screen mod.

I had to adjust the left bracket a little when I first installed them. Only to even out the pipes so thay look even from the back.

The spacers go betwen the frame and the bracket.
blush.gif

I'm sure you knew that just checkin.
DSCF0701.jpg

Got bad news for ya bud.

I don't care what ANY manufacturer or shop says. Every job is a bit different. You might have to "persuade" the bracket to give you the desired alignment.

Back