plastic rivets

Not to sound rube, but I know this post is old; these snaps are a great invention and should always be replaced with new ones whenever bent. DO NOT replace one of these pins with a real screw, you will fug up big time if the moons align right. I did this to my undertall as the two snaps kept coming off. Bottomed out once and there went the undertail. Just take the bent end of your allen wench and push that center in, then pull out with your finger nail.

what about that white thing that covers them holes in the frame?
I painted mine to match the black frame . You can buy push plugs in chrome also if your frame is chrome. I got black ones and plugged all the frame holes.
im drawing a blank on what u guys r talkin about.... anyone know where to get cheap fairing screws? im magically missing like 4 or 5... one being one of my windscreen bolts...
ArchetypeBusa~

At least on the small plastic rivets on my bike, it's better to just push the pin in .100 (less than 1/8th inch) or you may push the pin all the way through and loose it. With tax, the rivets are close to $4 ea.

If you loose the pin, you can use a #8 sheet metal screw (about .160 thread OD) 1/2" long in the rivet housing until you get a replacement.

If you go to any autoparts store - Kragen's, Autozone, etc. - you can buy a pack of plastic rivets to meet your needs. I bought a pack of six 1/4 diameter rivets of varying lengths for about 1.00. The heads do protrude to resemble plastic screw heads, however. It may not look stock, but it is well worth the price considering that the OEMs do not hold so well. By the way, these hold tighter and, seemingly, stronger than the OEMs.

At least on the small plastic rivets on my bike, it's better to just push the pin in .100 (less than 1/8th inch) or you may push the pin all the way through and loose it.  With tax, the rivets are close to $4 ea.

If you loose the pin, you can use a #8 sheet metal screw (about .160 thread OD) 1/2" long in the rivet housing until you get a replacement.
The downside with doing this is most of the push pins are located in areas that the body may need to "give". If there is a sheet metal screw in that area, it would do damage, instead of just ripping out like the push pins do. Use screws with caution. On that note, I have two screws in place of the push pins on my undertail. The undertail didn't fit right so it kept poping hte pins.

I guess im lucky ive delt with push rivits before i got the busa. had them in and out a few times with no problems bends or anything. I am however waiting on my undertail to arrive " 3 - 4 weeks
down.gif
When it does im going to try and make some longer spike pins that will replace the ones on the tail , but have some sort of small wingnut or something on the back so it wont quite be screwed into the holes but will still not give the flex the plastic ones do. We'll see how that works , ill probley just end up having to put the rivits back in lol. Think some long spikes down the side would look pretty nice tho. And about the losing parts. Invest in some of thoes micro bins from harbor freight. Works GREAT for keeping up with small parts over long projects and their cheap. Like $20 for 20 - 30 bins depending on the size you want.
tounge.gif

Yes. Just press in on the center part of the head of the pin. You will see the pin loosen. Then grab the pin with your fingernails and pull out. When you put the pin back in, pull the center push part of the pin head outward (this draws the molly bolt type holders in) and push the pin in by the head edges. Then pop the center pin down and your locked in place.

I thought they were kind of cheap at first, but they turned out to be easy to use.

doesn't some aftermarket mfgr. make metal push rivets? something that would stand up and look cool? my son in law has "d" ring style clips on his R-1,they look great.

Getting ready to drop the front end this weekend so all of this info is so helpful, this sight really is a lifesaver.....

Just love these old posts...
wink.gif

Little bit of useless information ..

If your dealer is too far away for the push rivets...

Nissan do a very similar type ..Instead of the push piece in the middle it has a little screw type piece instead..

So you dont push the centre in you screw it out instead..

You can use windscreen hardware to replace these. Metal fasteners, come in different colors, look much better, and more secure.

I shot a quick video showing how to remove your plastic rivet,enjoy.

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Remove by pushing in the center of the rivet with a pointy object !</span></span>  
<embed width="352" height="308" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://vidmg.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Rhythm_1/MOV03092.flv"></embed>
<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>How to replace or reassemble the rivet into your body panel !!!</span></span>
<embed width="352" height="308" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://vidmg.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Rhythm_1/MOV03091.flv"></embed>

You can use windscreen hardware to replace these. Metal fasteners, come in different colors, look much better, and more secure.
And similar windscreen expandable nuts can be purchased from Lowes or Home Depot for a hell of lot cheapr price than going to the dealer. Just make sure you get the standard bolts that go with them becuause the stock metric bolt on your bike will not screw into them.

my .02

Back