Planning a long trip--need advice!

kbhay

Registered
I am contemplating making a run from Kansas City to Phoenix, AZ in April. I have the following questions:

1. What is the longest anyone has ridden the 'Busa? How did you do comfort wise, etc???

2. How would that run? How is the ride from say OK, City to Amarillo to Albuquerque to Phoenix?

3. Does anyone have any recommendations for saddle bags / luggage?

The longest ride that I have made on my Busa is about 350 miles. I only stopped for gas and twice to stretch for a minute or two. At the end of the day my shoulders and butt were a little sore. But not bad enough to keep me from doing it again the next day. Other then that I can't help. I just used a backpack on the back seat. I was only gone for three days.

I have done 600 miles in one day on my 2000 Busa. All I needed was time to stop and stretch out from time to time. I loved that trip and I would do it again on the Busa any time. The 600 miles was round trip so I didn't have to haul anything with me. When I take long trips now I use my 30' 5th wheel camper and haul the Busa and the wife's bike in the back. I like all the comforts of home with me. What can I say I like my own bed and shower. In the past I have made many trips living out of small saddle bags on a bike. It was time to change and have some room.

bikeswithcamper3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
April is still in the rainy season..............be prepared to ride in the rain. Some of the luggage racks/gear people are using come down to personel choice. I like Givi tank bags. I think Hank and some of the others on this site use 5-Star luggage racks with Hard side lugage. I have some friends who use the soft stuff, but be sure and protect your fairings with some 3m clear protect. Also note that most of the soft lugage systems aren't waterproof without some additional precautions.

Ok I road to daytona and back last year, about 1400 miles roundtrip. My advice is:

1. get a good rainsuit-nyloned based-check Wal-Mart thats where i got mine and am well pleased with it.(you never know when that sudden downpour is gonna have you sitting under a bridge).

2. Corbin seat...my butt was screaming the last 500 miles.

3. Heli-bars will take some of the stress off the back

4. ZG sport touring windscreen --will keep the wind from beating your shoulders and reduce some of the wind caused fatigue.

5. Double check your tool kit

6. TRK tire repair. Though you never want to plug a tire on a bike, But I'ld bet you rather plug one and ride to the gas station than, than have to leave your bike in the middle of nowhere while you walk that 20 miles to the gas station only to find out they don't tow bikes. We are not even gfoing to discuss pushing it that 20 miles, or what happens if you get back and your bike aint there--get the tire repair kit lolol

7. Get AAA with the Bike coverage-you never know.

8. Wire in a cigarette lighter so you can keep your celly charged. (oh and remember to take YOUR celly)

9. Bags...ummm I have a set of strapon throw over the seat bags, and a gym bag I strap it all down and roll--but i carry garbage bags in case its rains. Hey I didn't say this was a perfect list lolol

Ok thats my $.09 worth

smile.gif
kbhay, I rode from Dallas TX to Key West, round trip was 4200 miles. The longest single stretch was from Dallas to Pensacola FL, 700 miles, the first day. I am 42 years old.

For comfort
1. Install the Genmar riser, 1 1/4 inch.
2. Zero Gravity double bubble screen.

Baggage
1. Tour Master Magnetic Tank bag, 12 liter.
2. Tour Master duffle bag with the built in bunge cords. They work really well with the pins on the bike.

Misc
1. Rain Suit
2. Tire plug kit
3. Plastic trash bags. Even tough the luggage will come with plastic covers, pack your cloths in the trash bag, then put them in the luggage.
4. Like dezzy7 said, take a cell phone, and wire in a cig lighter under the seat, just in case.
5. Radar dector, Passport 7500 mounted to a Leagal Speeding bracket that mounts to your wind screen.
6. Vista Cruise throttle lock, it will help with right hand.
7. Longer Shorts, not baggy, but like a regular breif with the longer leg that goes down the leg. The longer leg moves the pressure off your butt from short leg of a traditional brief, the ridge at the end of the leg.
8. Go with another rider. Two bikes are more easily seen than one.
9. Ear plugs, like the ones from home depot. The wind noise will make you deaf. The plugs will help and you will be albe to hear with them in.
10. Meash pants and Meash top, good boots, sungalsses, gloves, don't ride with out gloves.
11. Small can of chain lube.

I am 6.0, and the Genmar Riser helped a lot in the comfort, as did the Vista Cruise, and longer breifs.

My .10 cents.

Stealth
drink.gif

I use Moto Fizz throw overs which are made in Japan. Consistently get top marks in reviews in English bike press. They expand to approx double size if required. Cannot remeber litre sizes but huge capacity. Clip off really easily but need bungee to hold down if doing above approx 110mph - clip one bag too another UNDER tail piece.

Most miles done in a day approx 350, up to Scotland - so took in a lot of twisty roads. Due to get gel seat as was getting a bit "numb" near end, despite a few stops. Touring Northern Ireland and into Republic this June so will do approx 300 miles per day - so have not been put off.

We always take bike covers and put on when parked up overnight. Trick is to completely cover back wheel up so cannot see tyre size - large tyre = fast bike = theft! Seems more secure if nobody can see what model bike has been parked up. After putting on, tie down with string so wind does not move it and thus reveal what bike it is.

The farthest I've gone is L.A. to Vegas, 300+ miles. 2 stops for gas and a stretch.

Remember the ear plugs! We have to wear them at work so I get them for free.

Like Stealth_Busa said, GET A THROTTLELOCK ($9.95) or a Throttlemeister.... That right hand is gonna go numb after a while.

Oh one more thing MOTRIN, because somewhere along the journey you are probably gonna start feeling the ride and need a little pain relief. If not you'll have it for that occassional headache back home. But then maybe at 41 I was just feeling my age after 1000+ miles in the saddle.

wow.gif
Oh yea, like dezzy7 said, take Motrin or in my case it was Advil. I started everyday with two Advil for my slightley aching body.

idea.gif

ALL GOOD ADVICE
ONLY THINGS I WOULD ADD IS,BUY A REALLY GOOD RAINSUIT
MINE IS BMW,KINDA PRICEY BUT I HAVE RIDDEN 400 MILES IN A RAIN STORM AND HAD NO WET SPOTS,GOOD BOOTS TOO,
ALSO WEAR SOMETHING LIKE COOLMAX OR BIKER PANTS UNDER OUTER GARMENTS,DEHYDRATION IS MAIN PROBLEM AND EVEN IN HOT WEATHER UNDER GARMENTS HELP,LOTS OF LIQUIDS WIND WILL DEHYDRATE YOU TOO,
BANDANNA OVER MOUTH AT ALL TIMES SEEMS TO HELP ME AND WET IT WITH WATER WHEN STOPPED.(IF HOT)
I AM 50 AND I TAKE THE ADVIL BEFORE I START RIDING SEEMS TO HELP
I RODE TO FLA AND GA AND BACK ON STOCK BUSA ABOUT
3000 MILES.KINDA SORE BUT STILL FUN AFTER 9 DAYS OF RIDING AND FARTING AROUND.

drink.gif
Everyboby has covered this pretty well, but one thing I do is bring lots of water, several bottles, takes up space but make room for it. I like to stop often, almost like Nascar pit stops, I will pull off the road and even leave the bike running somtimes, jump off, pull the helmet up, slam some water while I walk once or twice around the bike(gets the blood movin in my legs) jump back on and give er. Sounds goofy,haha! but Its taken me years of study to work this formula out!!
40__s.gif
all_coholic.gif

drink.gif
 Everyboby has covered this pretty well, but one thing I do is bring lots of water, several bottles, takes up space but make room for it. I like to stop often, almost like Nascar pit stops, I will pull off the road and even leave the bike running somtimes, jump off, pull the helmet up, slam some water while I walk once or twice around the bike(gets the blood movin in my legs) jump back on and give er. Sounds goofy,haha! but Its taken me years of study to work this formula out!!
40__s.gif

all_coholic.gif
Goofy nothing that's great advise. When I made my ride last summer I didn't drink anything until I got to where I was going. I felt like sh@$ for the rest of the day. Heat and no liquids is a bad combo.

Thanks to everyone for your advice. I am going to buy the saddle bags from either Rocket Racing or Tourmaster. I am also going to buy the throttle lock and the Zero Gravity Sport Touring Windshield. I want to go for the extra wind protection over the Double Bubble.

One more thing in regards to hydration and waters storage. Buy a Camelbak. you can keep rolling and sip as often as you like with out having to stop or take off you helmet if need be. I got one for a gift last fall and love it. I give it a 10

www.camelbak.com

Instead of earplugs you can get an NOJ quiet rider. It tucks into the lining of your helmet and seals around your neck. I use it with my Arai and when I snap the screen closed it as if I am in a car. I also use Marsee bags exclusively. There are indestructable and come with rain covers that have never leaked, even in massive downpours.

Thanks for that tip Discreet, I going to give the NOJ a try!
You can see pic's here of the various styles.
NOJ

Back