Piston ring placement

Bigboy Busa2

Registered
Personal preference will override any "rule" on this stuff. Most of the info are calling rings to be across from the other, basically not in line and over the wrist pin, but is have seen and read 1st and 2nd are. Not enough info to really make a call on what works best for turbo. Anybody have a better source or knowledge?? Thanks

Gap closer to skirt to allow blowby

Screenshot_20220924-102006.png

Personal preference will override any "rule" on this stuff. Most of the info are calling rings to be across from the other, basically not in line and over the wrist pin, but is have seen and read 1st and 2nd are. Not enough info to really make a call on what works best for turbo. Anybody have a better source or knowledge?? Thanks
When it comes to piston/ring installs, my experience is mostly limited to 4-stroke and 2-stroke motocross bikes. Many times pistons have marks in the ring grooves where the end gaps are supposed to be. On my 2 stroke there are no oil rings, just 2 compression rings and they don't have a top or bottom and the gaps are offset by about 1/4 turn from each other and face the intake side. I would say in general it's always a good idea to never have the gaps line up with each other so this diagram makes sense to me because all the gaps are offset from each other also the end alignment on the oil ring expander is important. I have no turbo experience so I can't comment on how that might change things. Hope that is helpful.

@michael parris heuberger

your post sounds to me super special - i suspect those rings will be used at the methanol / top fuel racers.

but suspect @Bigboy Busa2 is talking about a usual busa that has a standard motor with standard pistons and rings
and thatfor i guess the manual is the best advisor
Hi. Yes it is because that I will be using methanol. You can also use them on gas motors also. I will also be changing my oil after every race day. I also need to look into finding a way to how much methanol is in the oil.

I just assemble them with the top 2 rings180 out. Doesn't really matter as the rings spin when the engines running. If they don't spin or they stop spining you got big problems and it's coming back apart.

Back