Piston and Rod suggestions?

JRivera2002

Registered
Okay, so I'm planning on ripping my 2008 busa down this summer and I'm going to run ss valves with 65lbs ape springs and ape retainers in the head... but I'm not sure what I should do as far as pistons and rods go. My question is, should I go with stock bore and compression and use the spacer to make the lower compression? Or do I buy lower compression pistons and do away with the spacer? Also, I'm new to the rod thing, do they make low compression rods? I believe they do, which brings me to another question...do I buy lower compression pistons and rods?? lol Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions here from experience, I may be looking to hit around 400hp but no more than that on the street, and I want the motor to be solid. Thanks.

Okay, so I'm planning on ripping my 2008 busa down this summer and I'm going to run ss valves with 65lbs ape springs and ape retainers in the head... but I'm not sure what I should do as far as pistons and rods go. My question is, should I go with stock bore and compression and use the spacer to make the lower compression? Or do I buy lower compression pistons and do away with the spacer? Also, I'm new to the rod thing, do they make low compression rods? I believe they do, which brings me to another question...do I buy lower compression pistons and rods?? lol Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions here from experience, I may be looking to hit around 400hp but no more than that on the street, and I want the motor to be solid. Thanks.

Wossner turbo pistons for the Gen 2 are 9.0:1, balanced, gas ported and moly coated; they do not require a spacer plate, so you drop the stock cams back in without adjustable sprockets or degreeing. For rods, Wossner makes a great H-beam, as does Carrillo. It is not necessary to get a shorter rod. You will need good cylinder studs: ARP should be your first choice, APE pro mods your second. While you are in the bottom end, getting the trans completely undercut and a heavy duty output shaft would be smart, as would a high output oil pump gear. Keep in mind that the oil pump gear will also spin the water pump faster, giving you better cooling. You don't need the aftermarket valve retainers, but yes, you do need the ss valves and heavy duty valve springs. POWERHOUSE sells everything you need, and would be happy to work with you to make sure your build is solid . . .:beerchug:

Wossner turbo pistons for the Gen 2 are 9.0:1, balanced, gas ported and moly coated; they do not require a spacer plate, so you drop the stock cams back in without adjustable sprockets or degreeing. For rods, Wossner makes a great H-beam, as does Carrillo. It is not necessary to get a shorter rod. You will need good cylinder studs: ARP should be your first choice, APE pro mods your second. While you are in the bottom end, getting the trans completely undercut and a heavy duty output shaft would be smart, as would a high output oil pump gear. Keep in mind that the oil pump gear will also spin the water pump faster, giving you better cooling. You don't need the aftermarket valve retainers, but yes, you do need the ss valves and heavy duty valve springs. POWERHOUSE sells everything you need, and would be happy to work with you to make sure your build is solid . . .:beerchug:

Sweet, thanks for the awesome response...btw what is the benefit of an undercut trans? I've seen people disussing it but I never knew what this really meant.

Okay nevermind, I wrote before just looking it up...I get the "undercutting" now.

So Frank, can you send me a pm with a quote for the following parts:

Wossner tubo pistons STD BORE
Wossner H beam rods
ARP head studs
ape stainless valves STD intake and exhaust
ape 65lbs springs
output shaft with 18 tooth sprocket
oil pump gear high output

Also would you reccomend new valve seals? And do you know of anyone near Orlando Florida that does the undercutting? I know MPS is around the corner but I dont know if they do that sort of work.

Thanks.

Okay nevermind, I wrote before just looking it up...I get the "undercutting" now.

So Frank, can you send me a pm with a quote for the following parts:

Wossner tubo pistons STD BORE
Wossner H beam rods
ARP head studs
ape stainless valves STD intake and exhaust
ape 65lbs springs
output shaft with 18 tooth sprocket
oil pump gear high output

Also would you reccomend new valve seals? And do you know of anyone near Orlando Florida that does the undercutting? I know MPS is around the corner but I dont know if they do that sort of work.

Thanks.

Putting fresh valve seals is always a good idea when you are doing an entire build; I also recommend a new clutch rod seal, and an output shaft seal. As a shop, this is mandatory - believe me, we don't want a motor coming back because we neglected less than $100 worth of seals, "hoping" they might be okay. In regard to your list, PM sent . . .:beerchug:

Back