*Ping* Anybody w/ some basic law experience or have gone thru a child custody case

Takeuon

Registered
So I am going through a really fun divorce and child custody case w/ my ex. The :madfire: incarnate.

She is lawyered up and so was I for awhile. I fired my attorney a few weeks ago, as he was worthless and ran my bank account dry. Bottom line is I am now representing myself.... as best I can. I can not afford an attorney, so please do not tell me I should get one. It is not going to happen at this time.

Here is my question.They have sent me their proposed Parenting Plan. Fancy wording for custody & visitation rights. It has a response deadline of Dec 1st. I have spent the last four hours making some small & reasonable changes to it. And I'd like someone w/ basic law experience or has gone through something similar to simply proof read my response to her attorney. That's it....check my wording & grammar, make sure it sounds reasonable & professional. And basically just give me your feedback. I understand this would just be your opinion and I'm not looking to hold anyone to anything. Just need some help.
It is HIGHLY personal....so I ask that you meet my above requirements. Otherwise...thank you for any prayers you can spare :please:

If you'd like to try & help an org brother out....Let me know & I'll PM you.

Re: *Ping* Anybody w/ some basic law experience or have gone thru a child custody cas

I'm going thru same thing right now.I make pennies compared to her,& I'm not paying a lawyer but if it comes about you can qualify if out of work/disabled for a court appointed lawyer.

Re: *Ping* Anybody w/ some basic law experience or have gone thru a child custody cas

Search for Father's Rights Group in your area ASAP!

I represented myself in my divorce and my sister works for an attorney. I would be happy to confidentially assist you (it helps that I'm a grammar freak and unfortunately have recently had a large amount of experience with the legal system helping a family member).

Can't give advice here, I'm no legal eagle, but I'm praying that it all works out for you

Same as Phil96. But my thoughts and prayers are with you brother!
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm going thru same thing right now.I make pennies compared to her,& I'm not paying a lawyer but if it comes about you can qualify if out of work/disabled for a court appointed lawyer.

Search for Father's Rights Group in your area ASAP!

Can't give advice here, I'm no legal eagle, but I'm praying that it all works out for you

Same as Phil96. But my thoughts and prayers are with you brother!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thank you all for your support & recommendations! It means a lot to me right now :bowdown:
I have only asked for one thing from my wife in all this mess , and that is to let me be a Father to my Daughter. I love her w/ all my heart and she is my world. She has been away from me for over two years and I have only had sporadic visitation w/ her.
Kills me. Eats at my soul and makes it hard to focus on other things. Call it what you will, but I essentially lost a job over it. I'm just not the same person after going through this.
Man...see.... I hate being Debbie Downer! :laugh: But its true.

Thanks to a very kind member here, I have re-worked my revised proposal to the Parenting Plan. I will send it to her attorney with-in the next 48hrs. If things get ugly and we can not come to an agreement...if anyone has recommendations for a temporary lawyer in the St. Louis area to possibly represent me at the Dec1st court date. Please feel free to let me know.

Last edited:

I represented myself in my divorce and my sister works for an attorney. I would be happy to confidentially assist you (it helps that I'm a grammar freak and unfortunately have recently had a large amount of experience with the legal system helping a family member).

Lynn,

A generous offer indeed. If I need anything further it feels good to know there are others out there that have experienced similar circumstances. Either indirectly or directly. You may hear from me.

Cheers,

Brian

just go easy man it always works itself out in the end it's just the trip getting to the end that sucks.

Thank you all for your support & recommendations! It means a lot to me right now :bowdown:
I have only asked for one thing from my wife in all this mess , and that is to let me be a Father to my Daughter. I love her w/ all my heart and she is my world. She has been away from me for over two years and I have only had sporadic visitation w/ her.
Kills me. Eats at my soul and makes it hard to focus on other things. Call it what you will, but I essentially lost a job over it. I'm just not the same person after going through this.
Man...see.... I hate being Debbie Downer! :laugh: But its true.

I feel all of your agony. But time will heal you. Speak from exp.
Wonder if there's a Guiness Record for back stab recipiency.

My wife is an attorney who specializes in family law. She doesnt like giving free advice (that why she has 100,000 in student loans) but I can convince her to spare some. Just let me know. Each state is different but the jist is the same.

Back