Pilot Road 2 for Track Use???

boriqua_n_co

Registered
I recently purchased a set of Pilot Road 2s and I was wondering if anyone has used a set at the track?? They do have the 2CT logos so I wonder of they are as good as the 2CTs??

I'd suggest you don't attempt a track day on any touring tire. A touring tire will increase your chances of crashing by a sizeable margin!

I was in the same boat as you in that I run the PR2's on the street and recently signed up for a track weekend at Barber. Bit the bullet and bought rims and BT003rs rubber for that weekend. Expensive hobby, but cheap compared to a low side because of my touring rubber.

Maybe for a novice day, but even then do you want your day to be spent wondering when your touring tire may give out, or enjoying blasting around?

Ok guys new tires it is... Thanks for the info.. Same as I thought. Pay an extra $300 and have a safe mind/enjoy the day. Thanks...

I have a similar, but yet different question:
I just fitted a brand new Michelin Pilot Power Pure front to my Busa
The rear is still Pilot Road 2
Any caveats on track days?

I have a similar, but yet different question:
I just fitted a brand new Michelin Pilot Power Pure front to my Busa
The rear is still Pilot Road 2
Any caveats on track days?

You really shouldn't mix and match sport tires with touring tires. You need that grip on the rear too!

not for straight line braking, but on a lean angle yes: trouble waits me...
I was just wondering how much the breaking distance shortens with a softer tyre and how much shorter the mileage gets...

not for straight line braking, but on a lean angle yes: trouble waits me...
I was just wondering how much the breaking distance shortens with a softer tyre and how much shorter the mileage gets...

"Braking" performance is dependent upon weight transfer, not tire compound. You can lever the rear tire off the ground with a sport touring tire in a hard stop so therefore your deceleration rate is as great as it's gonna be regardless of tire compound.

cheers
ken

"Braking" performance is dependent upon weight transfer, not tire compound. You can lever the rear tire off the ground with a sport touring tire in a hard stop so therefore your deceleration rate is as great as it's gonna be regardless of tire compound.

cheers
ken

Well, well, - this may apply to short sport bikes with street/track tires
on a warm dry day and will well warmed tires,
but we are now talking about a long wheel based Hayabusa
and the difference between street and TOURING tires
The compound plays a crucial role here,
but how much so remains to be seen...
now I already have Power PURE
which as written means in Finnish "BITE"
so if it bites well :thumbsup:

cheers
ken

Oooooooooooh, my dear friend you may want to re-think that statement! :please:

You really shouldn't mix and match sport tires with touring tires. You need that grip on the rear too!

I think what you meant was one shouldn't mix and match tires from different manufacturers?

I have a number of friends who run a dual compound touring tire on the rear with a performance tire on the front. I will be installing a BTO16 front and a BTO23 rear on my busa soon. This combination will give me longer tire life while still giving solid performance for those brisk rides through the canyons as well as wearing out the front and rear about the same time!

The idea is to keep the front planted. One can tollerated tire spin on the rear but the most important is Braking grip as well as side grip on the front. Personally, I am much more concerned about front braking grip in emergency situations than side grip on the twisties!

I don't know if this helps but I just installed the new Michelin pilot power CT2 on both the busa and my GSXR 750 and I must say their worth ever penny! Both bikes feel like they handle better, smoother ride and better traction. I'm not sure on tire wear yet. I've always ran dunlops and bridgestones and friend talked me into switching. all I can say is I'm never going back. Look on ebay, their cheap on there.

I think what you meant was one shouldn't mix and match tires from different manufacturers?

I have a number of friends who run a dual compound touring tire on the rear with a performance tire on the front. I will be installing a BTO16 front and a BTO23 rear on my busa soon. This combination will give me longer tire life while still giving solid performance for those brisk rides through the canyons as well as wearing out the front and rear about the same time!

The idea is to keep the front planted. One can tollerated tire spin on the rear but the most important is Braking grip as well as side grip on the front. Personally, I am much more concerned about front braking grip in emergency situations than side grip on the twisties!

Exactly as how I think! :thumbsup:

Will you keep us informed about your selection after, say 2500 miles and 5000 miles and when they are worn out and you change the set again
Please? :please:

Back