Pilot powers, handling, and the stealership

pseudo

Donating Member
Registered
Before this microburst situation last month, I had noticed some peculiar handing on my bike.

While going around sweeping turns I felt as if my bike was loosing traction, even at slow speeds, and while driving straight I felt as if I was getting blown all over the road, even in no wind situations. I thought maybe it had to do with the steering dampener, tire pressure, suspension, SOMETHING ... And it was driving me crazy. After checking all of those things, I gave up and figured it was in my head.

That is until my bike blew over in the storm...

While my bike was on it's side, I noticed my tire tread looked funny, even downright odd. Upon closer inspection it was worn in a sort of jigsaw sawtooth pattern, and almost looked like off road tires. The range of wear was anywhere from 1/16 of an inch to 1/4 inch. I was baffled, but knew that wasn't right. Upon even further inspection I noticed the tire was mounted backwards. Apparently these tires are so exactly engineered that mounting them backwards alters the way they are engineered to wear.

So I took it to the dealership and demanded a replacement. After a lengthy discussion about how this was not my fault and it would not have been damaged if not for their incorrect installation, they replaced it at no charge. I even convinced them that I deserved a hefty discount on the rear tire at to have a full set.

The moral of this story is, make sure to check your front tire's tread, if not visually, physically, run you hand over it. Just a simple thing like mounting the tire backward wore my tire so unevenly that It could have been fatal had I not caught it sooner.

P.S. For all of you that ask about what tires to mount, Pilot Powers are absolutly amazing. They are, in my honest oppinion, are the best tires made for the Busa. Money well spent.

<!--EDIT|pseudo
Reason for Edit: "added Pilot Power Testimonial"|1156885606 -->

And this is why I don't trust anyone to touch my bike unless I have no choice.

As to the tires, I take the wheels off, and take them to a small tire shop which doesn't mind doing bike's tires. I personally stand there, and tell the guy the right direction, and just to make sure I am not crazy I doublecheck a couple of more times after that.

Yup, they have directional arrows on the sidewall.
The wheel also has a "direction" arrow.

No one works on my bike......................... but me.

wink.gif

And this is why I don't trust anyone to touch my bike unless I have no  choice.

As to the tires, I take the wheels off, and take them to a small  tire shop which doesn't mind doing bike's tires. I personally stand there, and tell the guy the right direction, and just to make sure I am not crazy I doublecheck a couple of more times after that.
+ a big 1!

I also always remove my tire and take it to a reliable small shop to have it mounted and balanced by a guy that knows what he's doing......BUT, like you do, I always double check to make sure that the wheel and rim directional arrows are pointed in the same direction, and in addition, with the OEM BT56 replacements I buy, making sure that that yellow dot "light spot" on the tire aligns with the valve stem.
This is a very informative thread and I hope it serves as a warning that when you drive a high speed monster like our Busa, it is a must to check and sometimes double check everythihg that you're having done to your ride! Your life just might depend upon it!

Mounted a set of Pilot Roads yesterday and noticed that the front tire direction arrows required opposite rotation of the tread pattern compared to the rear tire.

Odd.

Back