Pilot Power 3

Yup, the new Pilot Power 3 is a direct response to the mega popular Dunlop Q2. It will be interesting to see how they compare. At the moment the Michelin is a lot more expensive. The tire war is on, Michelin and Dunlop are going for it big time for the ultimate high performance street tire. So, WE ALL WIN with better tires for everyone!!!! Hooray!!!! Michelin will have to drop the prices on the PP3 to compete. Again good news for everyone!

Not to confuse but my PR3 is rocking. All the grip I need. Now to see if it gives me 10K miles this year :laugh: Now returning to the OPs thread

Yup, the new Pilot Power 3 is a direct response to the mega popular Dunlop Q2. It will be interesting to see how they compare. At the moment the Michelin is a lot more expensive. The tire war is on, Michelin and Dunlop are going for it big time for the ultimate high performance street tire. So, WE ALL WIN with better tires for everyone!!!! Hooray!!!! Michelin will have to drop the prices on the PP3 to compete. Again good news for everyone!

Don't be confused. The PP3 is not a new tire, it's an upgraded PP. As far as competing with Dunlop's Q2, that's a big hill for Michelin to climb. I have serious doubts the PP3 will be serious competition. What we do know is at this point no one knows if the PP3 is anything more than a new tread design. :dunno:

Don't be confused. The PP3 is not a new tire, it's an upgraded PP. As far as competing with Dunlop's Q2, that's a big hill for Michelin to climb. I have serious doubts the PP3 will be serious competition. What we do know is at this point no one knows if the PP3 is anything more than a new tread design. :dunno:

The one huge difference between the Pilot Power and the new PP3 is that the PP3 is one of their 2CT tires. The original had 2 different models with the Pilot Power and Pilot Power 2CT, while the new PP3 is actually a 2CT tire. That's where you're getting the price difference from the original to the new

So can you lean with the pilot road 2 & or 3? I'm starting to lean in turns lower n lower. I will do about a 20-30 commute to work on the freeway so a center that will last will be help full for me also.
The pilot powers are a softer compound that don't last long like the regular pilot powers, am I correct? Or do they have a harder center and softer side for turns?

Tuff, from what your saying, Michelins response to the Dunlop Q2 (the PP3) is still not at the Q2 level. Oh well, at least Michelin tried. I'm runing a Q2 front with a Roadsmart rear. They seem to be a perfect match for my lame street riding....... I don't lay it over to an extreme as I'm, lets see, ah, CHICKEN!!

The one huge difference between the Pilot Power and the new PP3 is that the PP3 is one of their 2CT tires. The original had 2 different models with the Pilot Power and Pilot Power 2CT, while the new PP3 is actually a 2CT tire. That's where you're getting the price difference from the original to the new

The 2ct simply means its a dual compound (2 compound tire). The original PP (Pilot Power) tire was a single compound. The PP 2ct is a Pilot Power with a very small strip of softer rubber on the outer shoulder of the tire, which was rarely ever used by street riders. The Pilot Power 3 most likely has the same carcass as the original PP. From what I've read the PP3 will remain a dual compound tire and have more of the soft shoulder rubber vs the PP2ct. If the carcass was new I doubt Michelin would leave the term "Pilot Power" attached, eh?

Will the PP3 be equal to or better than the Q2? I don't know until they begin to show up at the track.

Tuff, from what your saying, Michelins response to the Dunlop Q2 (the PP3) is still not at the Q2 level. Oh well, at least Michelin tried. I'm runing a Q2 front with a Roadsmart rear. They seem to be a perfect match for my lame street riding....... I don't lay it over to an extreme as I'm, lets see, ah, CHICKEN!!

I haven't seen a single set of Pilot Power 3s at the track so I can't judge their performance. The PP3 may be the real deal but then it may be a PP2ct with a different tread pattern. Time will tell.

I really like the Q2/Roadsmart combo for street use. I have that combination on my connie and my busa. Works very well for a balance between grip and tire life.

Not wanting to jack this tread,but I currently have power ones and the rear tire didn't last long. Anyway have a power pure waiting to install what should I expect? Loved my power one but didn't get to the track and didn't get full use of the tire and a friend suggested the pure.

Any updates on the 3's yet?

I am thinkin of tryin a set

Pilot Power 3 Motorcycle Tires Video Review from SportbikeTrackGear.com - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I installed a set January of this year. Took a trip to Florida. Been riding them all season. Show a little wear. Around 4500 miles so far on this set. I think I'm going to get atleast another 4500. No I don't ride real agressive but I'm not afraid to grind a peg or two. These tires grip extremely well in dry and wet conditions. Really pleased so far.

I have over 8K on my PR3's and they look new. I just stayed up with the guys riding two up in the mountains, no slips, no problems :laugh:

Back