Pilot Power 2CT

UR IT!

MIDNIGHT FALCON
Donating Member
Registered
I've had a set of pilot powers now for about 8 months and I'm very impressed with them....I've been doing 200+ mile rides through the mountain twisties here AZ and these powers grip the road like it's nobody's business, no matter how far I lean into the corners.

Anyway, I'm thinking about replacing my powers with the new generation 2CT's.....They are supposed to be a softer compound mix on the edges of the tire, providing better grip at greater lean angles...

Any opinions on these new tires?

Based on the compound these have got to be a better grip tire than the original Pilots. I am considering getting them as well when my front and rear go out together in 3-4000 miles.

Only question is longevity- if they last 3000 (should, medium compound center on rear) then I will be happy, I'm not a commuter just ride for fun.

(Shibumi @ Sep. 29 2006,08:00) Based on the compound these have got to be a better grip tire than the original Pilots. I am considering getting them as well when my front and rear go out together in 3-4000 miles.

Only question is longevity- if they last 3000 (should, medium compound center on rear) then I will be happy, I'm not a commuter just ride for fun.
I've got around 2800 miles on my current set. I was originally going to just swap out the rear for the 2CT but the more I think about how much twisty riding I'm doing lately I should probably swap to a new set.
race.gif

they just release these tires about a week ago
I was on back order for awhile!!!!!!!

I got tired of waiting & mounted some Diablos

(UR IT! @ Sep. 29 2006,15:38) Anyone have any experience with these tires yet?
poke.gif
Just talked to GPW, he is ordering a set for his ZX 14 project bike and will post up a ride report after he gets them on the road! If that goes well, that will be the next set of tires I put on mine.

(mjb1206 @ Sep. 29 2006,10:25) Metzeler M-3 Are Spectacular...............
I had a set of sportec M-1's on my bike before the powers....In my opinion they are two totally different tires in feel and handling. I didn't mind the sportec's but when I first put on the powers it felt like the bike was on rails.
super.gif

sportec_m3_logo.png

(Tufbusa @ Sep. 29 2006,15:41) Pilot Powers 2CT?

Average at best!

Qualifiers! "SWEET"!
What is it that you don't like about the 2CT's and that you do like about the Qualifiers?

I'm looking foward to giving them a shot. Also they come in a 190/55 profile. As of right now, I like the qualifiers better then the PPs

(Tufbusa @ Sep. 29 2006,22:41) Pilot Powers 2CT?

Average at best!

Qualifiers! "SWEET"!
Hey Tuf is that assessment of the 2CT based on anything, or just a spontaneous outburst?
rock.gif

P.S.- I run Qualifiers as well, love 'em! Always in the market for better, of course!

(mjb1206 @ Sep. 29 2006,15:25) Metzeler M-3 Are Spectacular...............
+1 on the Metzelers! I am a big guy and I have 3600 miles on a set now and have yet to find the limit of traction!

The 2ct's should be a good tire in theory as they are the same compound as the current Power in the center and a softer compound on the edges.

guns.gif
But their french?

sportec_m3_logo.png

(UR IT! @ Sep. 29 2006,21:04)
(Tufbusa @ Sep. 29 2006,15:41) Pilot Powers 2CT?

Average at best!

Qualifiers! "SWEET"!
What is it that you don't like about the 2CT's and that you do like about the Qualifiers?
I've never been a fan of the pilot powers! After all the early hype I bought a set, ran them two weeks, took them off, gave them away and that was the end of my relationship with PP's. I found them to be way to squishy and unstable on hard braking. Felt like I was riding on balloon tires meant for a dune buggy. The profile was way to agressive for a street tire. The race profile along with a very thin sidewall made riding wheelies on them damn near impossible.

The new PP CT's are basicly the same tire with a harder compound in the center for increased mileage. If you are an average or below rider, I think they are fine? The one thing I have learned about PP's is if you are going to ride them on the edge, you best be very smooth or they will put you in the bushes. When they give up, it's without warning.

Qualifiers on the other hand, has the grip of hulk hogan and they let you know when they have had enough. The front sticks far longer than the rear.

The dunlop dealer gave my son and his race partner a set of qualifiers for their GSXR1K street bikes and those boys put on an unbelieveable show. You wouldn't believe it unless you watched. I followed them for a few laps on race rubber and they were not only draging their knees, they were damn near draging elbows. After a number of laps of extremely hard riding, the Q's became hot and a bit greasy like any other street tire. But then they began that pitching the rear out and cornering with smoke coming off the rear but the front stayed planted. These boys were doing faster laps on the Q's than most racers do on race rubber. I heard this statement afterwards, "Those tires are as good as the race rubber we had two years ago".

I personally have not run the Q's but after watching that show, you can bet the next set of street tires will be Qualifiers!

(bigoltool @ Sep. 30 2006,09:42)
(mjb1206 @ Sep. 29 2006,15:25) Metzeler M-3 Are Spectacular...............
+1 on the Metzelers! I am a big guy and I have 3600 miles on a set now and have yet to find the limit of traction!

The 2ct's should be a good tire in theory as they are the same compound as the current Power in the center and a softer compound on the edges.

guns.gif
But their french?
Amen!

Has the French ever made anything worth a damn?

Remember the Concord. Wasn't it made by the french?

sportec_m3_logo.png

Sorry Tuf, but your ignorance is showing...
wow.gif

"Michelin man Valentino Rossi (Camel Yamaha Team YZR-M1-Michelin) scored a hard-fought runner-up finish in today’s Japanese Grand Prix to move closer to World Championship leader Nicky Hayden (Repsol Honda Team RC211V-Michelin). The Italian smashed the Motegi lap record by 0.68 seconds while chasing winner Loris Capirossi (Ducati Marlboro Team Desmosedici). Marco Melandri (Fortuna Honda RC211V-Michelin) finished the race in third spot, Michelin riders filling eight of the first ten finishing positions.

With just two races remaining of this year’s 17-round series, Michelin riders also dominate the championship standings, Rossi now 12 points behind Hayden, who finished today’s race in fifth place, and 15 points ahead of Melandri."

Don't argue with results.

(Shibumi @ Sep. 30 2006,13:01) Sorry Tuf, but your ignorance is showing...  
wow.gif

"Michelin man Valentino Rossi (Camel Yamaha Team YZR-M1-Michelin) scored a hard-fought runner-up finish in today’s Japanese Grand Prix to move closer to World Championship leader Nicky Hayden (Repsol Honda Team RC211V-Michelin). The Italian smashed the Motegi lap record by 0.68 seconds while chasing winner Loris Capirossi (Ducati Marlboro Team Desmosedici). Marco Melandri (Fortuna Honda RC211V-Michelin) finished the race in third spot, Michelin riders filling eight of the first ten finishing positions.

With just two races remaining of this year’s 17-round series, Michelin riders also dominate the championship standings, Rossi now 12 points behind Hayden, who finished today’s race in fifth place, and 15 points ahead of Melandri."

Don't argue with results.
Dude, do you think for one second Joe Blow Public or YOU are going to get their hands on the same tires these guys race on?

I'm thinking I may not be the ignorant one here?

When it comes to club racing like you and I are capable of doing, it seems to be dunlop that's in the lead. All three of the tracks in our area for instance, has the track records set on dunlops! Guys on michelins have been dropping like flies for whatever reason.

So don't take a lemon, stuff it in someones ear and call it an apple. YOU can't argue with factual results
tounge.gif

(Tufbusa @ Sep. 30 2006,10:34) The new PP CT's are basicly the same tire with a harder compound in the center for increased mileage.
Thats backwards. Same PP compound in the center and softer on the sides.

Back