Pictures of Modded Stock Gen I Header and Canister

Busashot

Registered
Ok, I had a few guys inquire about me modding a stock header into a 4-2-1 setup and running one modded stock canister.

I've got some pictures but not all of them to show all of the mods to the stock canister. Some pics of the before and after:

Part one
The stock header:

tn_DSC043141.jpg

Removal of x pipe:

tn_DSC04029.jpg

tn_DSC04027.jpg

The modded stock header:

tn_DSC043142.jpg

Comparison of the stock header and the modded stock header:

DSC04314.jpg

DSC04313.jpg

Part Three Cont. 3

tn_DSC04024.jpg

tn_DSC04023.jpg

tn_DSC04074.jpg

tn_DSC04073.jpg

I couldn't find the pics of the new 2 1/4" perforated tube that I connected the bottom and the top of the original inner baffle. I also can't find the pics that show how I sized the pipe coming out the canister tip. It is actually butted up to the tip and is one continous pipe in essence.

DSC04319.jpg

DSC04320.jpg

New 2 1/8" SS pipe:

DSC04317.jpg

DSC04322.jpg

Last edited:
Essentially from all of this, cost was less than $150 and took about an actual time of 6 hours which includes me having to redo a few things. I did all the fabrication and 90% of the welding. The SS pipe was welded by a friend. The exhaust is probably similar to a simple Yosh exhaust, D&D or Hindle exhaust.

It sounds good and isn't a screamer. I would say the sound is between a Brock/Hindle, Yosh and Muzzy....... It is deep tone and is almost as quiet as the Brock/Hindle but with the stock primary header pipes, it is a little louder.

The weight savings was a total of 15lbs 9oz. including the left exhaust hanger/bolts.

This was a fun little project and I hadn't a chance to see the HP/TQ compared to the full stock setup. I would venture to say around 5hp at least.

I'll get a sound clip tomorrow.

Last edited:
Nice job. True hot rodding fashion right there.

How did the end can come out where you re-capped it up (at the exhaust outlet)? It looks like you trimmed the rolled edge off to get the guts out, I'm just curious how you got that rolled edge back (if you did).

Nice job. True hot rodding fashion right there.

How did the end can come out where you re-capped it up (at the exhaust outlet)? It looks like you trimmed the rolled edge off to get the guts out, I'm just curious how you got that rolled edge back (if you did).

I wanted it to look as stock looking as possible so yea I rolled the canister over the end cap. Just like the canister gut mod that is pinned here on this forum. Used a plastic and hard rubber mallet. I also used a rounded off piece of aluminum stock(actually an old lowering link) and a few modded screwdrives to tidy it up at the end. Not hard at all just have to be patient and slowly do it all around a little at a time so you can get it as tight as possible. I also used a silicone in there to assure it was completely sealed. The factory does it that way. When you cut it like I did, you lose about 1/2 to 3/4" in length on the canister. Not noticeable at all as you can tell.

These are not all of the pics but I am missing a lot of pics for some reason. If I had them I could have written up something in more detail of the work performed.

I used the stock canisters end cap and the entry cap piece that connects to the midpipe. I modded them so I could run a 2 1/4" SS perforated pipe to run end to end. The midpipe is a 2 1/8" SS piece mated to the flange I cut off from the stock midpipe. I was going to expand it to fit flush with the flange so it would look more seamless but I was in a hurry. I could have used a 2 1/4" SS pipe which would have actually been better for looks and a little in the sound department. No big deal.

Nice write up. I like the originality. You do great work!
Posted via Mobile Device

You probably could have done it in 3 hours if you didn't stop to take so many pictures! :laugh: Nice work! :beerchug:

You probably could have done it in 3 hours if you didn't stop to take so many pictures! :laugh: Nice work! :beerchug:

Partly but I am a slow sum ***** when it comes to working on my stuff. I wasn't like that when I was younger.....hmmmmm age.

This took those hours but actually took me about a month......too many things going on for me to dedicate a straight 6 hours to it. That and ordering certain parts, etc.

Thanks guys. Actually my welding wasn't the best as I hadn't welded anything in like 15 years. I am an expert grinder though :lol: . I had just bought a welder because I was tired of relying on other people for simple welds. So then out of boredom I decided to do the exhaust. The bike is awaiting for the turbo kit to go on. Just want a few more parts for the engine ie; pistons, undercut trans and some HD trans parts....otherwise I have everything else..... :please: maybe this winter it will finally be put on. Looking to get 450hp for shop talk and will run around 350hp daily (Intercooled). :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Back