Pics/story from our first road race last wknd

justintime2

What's your story?
Donating Member
Registered
OK so last wknd was our first race with at .

This was my first time ever on and my first time ever at this track. It's a 2.25 mile 10 turn track with elevation changes, off camber and up/down hill corners.

Day 1 - It was raining so hard that if you were driving in your car you would pull over until it passed because you couldn't see. Well we not only learned the track and practiced in it, we raced in it.
smile.gif
The pits across from us were taking bets which one of our team would crash first because we didn't buck up for rain tires and were running DOT race tires instead. Well no wrecks, surprisingly, but some hairy stuff. For our race it actually started hailing, WTF
rock.gif

don't have the pics of the rain stuff yet but it was intense. Coming through turn 4 I cut the line to tight and jumped the curb while leaning. The bike went airborne and when it landed my ass end started washing out. Have no clue how but I saved it and continued racing. The guy who bet on me to crash had been watching from above and said ifI had nine lives I spent'em all because that should have been a wreck. So will call this gift #1, I guess the morning prayer with our mentor/pastor paid off.

Day 2 - track dries out and it's game on. We got incrementally quicker and had gained a great amount of confidence from the rain racing the day before. Lap six of our race in turn #7, a fast left hand sweeper, I was fully leaned over when another racer from a high line banked down into me to avoid the inevitable conclusion of his line, A wreck. Well a wreck is what he got. He slammed into me with his handle bar going into my ram air tube, pic below, and we were officially tangled together and going down. The bike was washing out and was all over the place. Finally the bikes came apart and he wiped it. I rescued my slide and finished the race. That prayer must be good all wknd as we'll call that gift #2.

Below are some pics from day 2, ENJOY. I need to change my right ram air tube and my shorts.
laugh.gif

The guy from the pit who took a bet on me being the first one to wipe it came over to me after our last race when we were packing up. He told me I was crazy as a novice But I was a pretty good rider and fast. Nice compliment and maybe earned a little respect from the others. Alot to learn as we look like candy asses compared to the experts.
sad.gif

Pic 1 of 9

<!--EDIT|justintime2
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145298466 -->

BNS_0031.jpg

Awesome. I have made up my mind... I am going to a racing school... I thought I was goign to get a lead on a wrecked bike to use on the track, but it didn't work out. Thanks for the pics and explainations!
thumbs-up.gif

Great pics jt2!!!

Glad to hear your first outing went good!

Thanks guys!
Racing is like crack, actually crack would probably be safer and cheaper for me.
laugh.gif

Now I gotta figure out how to make up the margin between me and the #1 guy, a daunting/expensive task to say the least. Time will tell if I have it in me, if not we have three goals as a team that we can't fail with.
1 - move our riding/behavior off the street and onto the track, where believe it or not it's safer.
2 - become a better rider by riding with those better than us.
3 - fire fighters racing as a band of brothers
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|justintime2
Reason for Edit: "must be on crack, my spelling sucks!"|1144651280 -->

Back