Pics of my first and last service done by myself.

funnyman3000

Registered
So I took the bike to the do-it-yourself mechanic place today. 3 bucks an hour, was there 2 hours, and got to use all their tools/oil drip pan/and oil disposal.
Pic 1- got there and realized I forgot the foil like people had mentioned. used disposable rags wipes instead.
Pic 2- rubber adjustable wrench didn't work (kept slipping). metal version of this tool was too big and wouldn't adjust small enough.
Pic 3- These worked nice to put the new filter on, but the old one was on there too tight and it just stripped the faceted end of the filter.
Pic 4- ended up getting the filter off with this.
Pic 5- I got frustrated by this point :banghead:... this is the end result of my frustration.

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

another tried and true method is to stab a screwdriver through the old filter (space provided of course):whistle:

I had to use channel locks on the factory installed filters on the '06 and '08. I hand tighten my filters when I put them on and I've never had a leak. Glad you got her done. :thumbsup:

another tried and true method is to stab a screwdriver through the old filter (space provided of course):whistle:

I've used the screwdriver method on a car before, but you would make a huge mess on the Busa with it.

Also with the stock '06 and a rear stand the filter oil drained between two tubes making no mess.

Haven't tried it with the '08 yet.

I got myself a pair of filter pliers. Work like a charm and like DO3 said, just put it back on hand tight.

pic 6- a lot more oil came out of the filter than I thought.
pic 7- the filter socket with ratchet was a very tight fit with the headers there.
pic 8- what happens when you forget to put the oil fill cap on and start up the bike:banghead: lol
pic 9- I dropped one of the gas tank bolts into what I now call "the black hole"
That was before the shop actually. Rode real slow to the shop (also because I only had 1 fairing on). Got to the shop to use one of those extendable wand magnets and couldn't find it. Either fell out or is out of site.
pic 10- riding without till I go find the right size bolt.

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

tuff luck...... live and learn...... baby steps... It is a hobby.... enjoy it.:thumbsup:
become one with her....

tuff luck...... live and learn...... baby steps... It is a hobby.... enjoy it.:thumbsup:
become one with her....

i'm not ashame to admit that my first and ONLY self service had the exact same results...it feels kinda good to know i'm not the only one who struggled with that damn filter:laugh: mine was crushed a bit worse than your's though. ended up w/ my neighbor coming over to get it off:beerchug: i loosened it though!!!
now i got big SNAKEEYES and the advice of mr RocKADEOUS who helped me do the hump mod..i was shaking like a leaf w/ that cutting tool

Last edited:
Rocks hard to beat. Listen guys I thought the first oil change was going to be a nightmare on the '08, but it wasn't any harder or easier than the '06. Next time I plan on doing it the right way and it may in fact be easier than the '06 was. Now that oil change cost me $28.00 a few months ago at the dealership buying zuki oil and filters. That's 10 times less than what you were going to pay. It get's easier everytime you do it guys.

You will have to remove the airbox, if you haven't found the tank bolt yet. That's what I ended up doing one time.

Everytime I work on the bike I'm very anxious but when I'm done I'm very pleased that it was much easier than I thought it would be and way cheaper.

Just ordered a tire changer because I'm tired of that struggle. I changed about a dozen tires on the '06, but hopefully my struggle is over when the M/C changer arrives :thumbsup:

Ive done all kinds of things to my bike, Had her completly neekid at times, Wheels off, Stator cover and clutch covers, Nose cone, all kinds of stuff, I have yet to change the oil myself, Me and oil filters have never gotten along.

when i did my first oil change i had to stab the filter w/screwdriver. guess they like to get em tight from the dealer. use k&n filter everytime handtightened and never had a problem since

I use this wrench for the oil filter.
I had to grind a little off it to get it in but it really works good.

Oil wrench 1.jpg

Publication1.jpg

Last edited:
Well the first time is always hardest. :laugh:

Did you do the other maintenance required for the 600 mile service?

pic 8- what happens when you forget to put the oil fill cap on and start up the bike:banghead: lol

Now that had me laughing. I'm sorry. I know how frustrating it can be. I plan on changing my oil to full synthetic soon and hope I don't experience the same frustration.

Good news is that you save over $100.

mike1180: yah that's the same tool they gave me when the rubber one wouldn't work. I guess since it was for a car oil filter though it wouldn't get small enough to budge the canister.
I like the screwdriver in the filter idea. heck it would have caused just as much a mess as I did without puncturing it.
Did all the other 600 mile stuff. Decided not to do the exhaust wrap thing since it seemed way too much of a headache without actually removing the pipes/headers. Waiting on my Hotbodies pipes to arrive now. I'm stoked because I rode around without the pipes on today and it had a real nice rumble at idle. Imagine the Hotbodies tips won't change that much.

:laugh: Todd,

You should have waited till tomorrow and came here.....I could have taken better pics.:poke:

just kidding.......first time is the learning part...it gets better.

Just use a 17mm box wrench with this

KN-138.jpg

Did my 3rd oil change on my K8 the other day....... what a pain in the as$ if you don't remove the fairing..... I'm hard headed. But I do like the satisfaction of doing it myself.

Time for you to start buying tools, or for Christmas, birthdays ect. :thumbsup:

edit: just saw your at Ft. Hood and may not have a place to store tools............ you will like the Hootbodies, Just make sure you shime the kick stand with some washers or it will hit your new tips and over time put a nice ding in them. Think I had to use 4 or 6 washers.

Last edited:
Back