Picking up the front of the bike with a scissor jack...

berryman

Registered
I need to have my fork seals replaced and I'm on a budget. I cannot afford to buy a front end stand that picks the front of the bike up from the triple tree like I need. I noticed in the photos of the service manual they used a scissor jack to do this. Anybody have any pictures of where to place the jack? Do you pick it up with the block or the headers? Any help would be much appreciated!

Better to drop a rope down the steering hed and hoist it up, or make one of these to do the same thing. It is a "d: ring welded to a piece of redirod.
When they jack it up they are putting the weight of the bike on the oil pan.
I don't like that idea.
The steering head is made to take the weight of the bike.
I don't figure the oil pan is. JMO

Hoist Tool.JPG

sure it is find a ceiling joist or span across 2 of them, better yet move the bike just under the attic access place a long pipe or board across the hole and wrap the rope around that..the more joists the pipe or rope span across the more the weight is distributed

IMG_1314.jpg

Last edited:
Put a small piece of wood under the header and jack it. Worked for me.
Posted via Mobile Device

You can put a board between the jack and header pipes and jack it up just fine. Only problem is, how to balance the bike so it doesn't fall over. I do this all the time but with a pitbull rear stand to balance the bike. However, the header pipes are made of steel and plenty strong enough to lift the bike with.

Mike's idea is the best if you don't have a rear stand. You can go up into your attic, throw a 2 X 4 across a couple of ceiling joice and drop a strap through the sheet rock. The you an use a come along to life the bike from the triple tree. I'm not sure I'd trust a little spot weld on a bolt head to hold your prized busa up while you are under it? No offence Mikey, that chinese steel from Lowes may not weld so good.

Balancing the bike...not a problem. I have a "Redline" rear stand. I thought the steel headers would be alright.

IMG_1317.jpg

You can put a board between the jack and header pipes and jack it up just fine. Only problem is, how to balance the bike so it doesn't fall over. I do this all the time but with a pitbull rear stand to balance the bike. However, the header pipes are made of steel and plenty strong enough to lift the bike with.

Mike's idea is the best if you don't have a rear stand. You can go up into your attic, throw a 2 X 4 across a couple of ceiling joice and drop a strap through the sheet rock. The you an use a come along to life the bike from the triple tree. I'm not sure I'd trust a little spot weld on a bolt head to hold your prized busa up while you are under it? No offence Mikey, that chinese steel from Lowes may not weld so good.

I welded my own so I know it will hold.
Good point though.
It is only as strong as the weakest link. :thumbsup:

Like this Tufbusa?

IMG_1317.jpg

IMG_1319.jpg

IMG_1320.jpg

Last edited:
i use a 3/8 steel rod through the swingarm piviot point and blocks and jack stands...this creates a piviot point for the weight of the bike... jack the bike up with assistance and make sure the rear wheel is good couple inches off ground...then take your sissor jack with wood block under your pipes and it raises right up with next to no pressure due to the piviot point... i just did this this weekend for my fork seals and no issues

UPDATE:
So the shop calls me and says my forks are done. I'm like great, what are the damages? Mine you, I removed the forks myself and took them in to save some money. The price told to me over the phone 2 weeks ago was $105. He says, .............$225???? WTF, I say! The owner asked me who I talked to but it was always me asking a question and them going to ask somebody else...then they come back with a answer so I don't know. All I know is the first price was discussed as bringing in the bike and it being $150. So, I'm gathering they meant "per fork". So if I would have just dropped off the bike I'd be looking at a 300 something dollar bill??? He said he wanted my business and would honor the $105 but well see as I have to go to work. I've been up since 3:15 am worried about this so I KNOW it's going to be a crappy day!!!

I guess what makes me so angry is all the questions I asked and I obviously didn't get the right questions asked the right way. I was still shocked by the answer! I know what this job entails because of this site! This guy better not screw me this afternoon! In my opinion, I'm in a hard place..."they" did the work and "they" have my forks! I'll let ya know what happens tonight. Damn...I'm so pissed right now!!!

Last edited:
UPDATE:
So the shop calls me and says my forks are done. I'm like great, what are the damages? Mine you, I removed the forks myself and took them in to save some money. The price told to me over the phone 2 weeks ago was $105. He says, .............$225???? WTF, I say! The owner asked me who I talked to but it was always me asking a question and them going to ask somebody else...then they come back with a answer so I don't know. All I know is the first price was discussed as bringing in the bike and it being $150. So, I'm gathering they meant "per fork". So if I would have just dropped off the bike I'd be looking at a 300 something dollar bill??? He said he wanted my business and would honor the $105 but well see as I have to go to work. I've been up since 3:15 am worried about this so I KNOW it's going to be a crappy day!!!

I guess what makes me so angry is all the questions I asked and I obviously didn't get the right questions asked the right way. I was still shocked by the answer! I know what this job entails because of this site! This guy better not screw me this afternoon! In my opinion, I'm in a hard place..."they" did the work and "they" have my forks! I'll let ya know what happens tonight. Damn...I'm so pissed right now!!!

Sounds like a drag.
Hope it all works out.
Good luck!

I am chicken I don't think I would jack anything on the pipes. I pulled my front wheel using a hydraulic jack and lifted off of the oil pan. Wardie

$105 in parts, and $99.30 in labor. NEVER AGAIN! "Oh, we thought you understood that labor had not been added yet." FREAKING NICE, huh? I'm an idiot but how many times does it take when you ask..."What is this gonna cost me?"

wardie...that pan is aluminum, that why I didn't do it that way. Stock headers are steel.

Better to drop a rope down the steering hed and hoist it up, JMO

Don't jack under your headers if you have aftermarket headers installed, they will bend. I agree with Mike, use a hoist.

I have two set up under carports. One is a comalong (about $12) with straps, the other is an electric winch (harbor freight) that I use more for my Jeep top removal than I do for bike but either one works great.

Just make sure your straps are hooked to your triple tree real good and put in first gear. Lift.

Careful on aftermarket triple tree as some can twist if not done properly. Make sure straps are back a little to clear wind screen.

I'd take some pics hanging the Busa upside down and doing some tricks...but ummm...haven't done that yet under the carport :laugh: Thank goodness.

Back