Picking up a fallen bike

Kweave

Donating Member
Registered
Its been years , but when I was younger an older rider taught me to pick up a fallen bike by turning the wheels to the ground, turn ing my back to the bike squat thing push up and towards the bike.
I havent done it in years but it was with those 80s model LTD 1000 Kaws.
I was about 15 - 16 and it didnt seem that difficult. Anyone else ever use this method. I seem to remember hearing Motor Officers use this to pick up hogs.
I seem to read a lot about bikers dropping their bikes and needing help to get them up.

Yeah thats right, its the best way, I mean if you lean over and try and pull, you cant get leaverage, and you could lose your footing....other approach is getting on the side it fell over on, and try lifting facing the bike...very hard but less risky...the way you explained is the best

<!--EDIT|KanjiBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153981120 -->

I'll have to remember that.. Cuz not only can I not dead lift 500 pounds (
tounge.gif
)  I have a bad back. That technique sounds like it's mostly leg muscles.

<!--EDIT|LadyHawk
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153998354 -->

i'm glad i'm 300 lbs myself. i crashed, held the brake, and stood the bike right up lol. easy as pie. I can deadlift 500+ lbs though, so i guess being big pays off once in a while... too bad one of the times is to pick u p a crashed bike.

Worked for me! When mine fell over I picked up in this manner, and I'm 5'8" and 165 dripping wet...
biggrin.gif

That's basicly it, you put the bike in gear, front wheel toward your side and lift with your legs with your back toward the bike (if the bike falls on the left side). If it falls on the right side, back toward the bike, front wheel facing right side, bike in gear, brakes on, and lift with your legs. Saw a 110 lb woman do this from both sides with a GOLDWING
wink.gif

No matter how big or strong you are it just makes sense to not strain yourself. I see too many people talking about struggling to pick the bikes up when there is a better way to do it.
I hope this helps someone.....
biggrin.gif

When mine fell (early in my ownership) I just grabbed the left handlebar and the grab rail and lifted, but I spend a good bit of time in the gym.

This sounds like a great idea. Walk me through it a little more.
The bike is flat on the ground. Lets say it fell on the right side.

I put my back to the bike (wouldn't the front wheel be to the left?), squat down, and grab the bike with my hands (where?) and straighten up with my back pushing against the bike and up, with my legs taking most of the weight.

<!--EDIT|FAVahalik
Reason for Edit: None given...|1154014738 -->

I saw Rhythm grab ahold of the left handle bar and rear grab rail and lift 'er right up no problem. We won't talk about who the bike belonged to. Besides it's not like deadlifting 500lbs. the weight that resides on the wheels reduces the overal effort to lift. I'd say more like 180lbs deadlift. Anyway putting it in gear may not be possible if it's on the left side and holding the brake would be on the opposite side.:cool:

ive had my bike on its right side 3 times (sux i know), and every time I just get low, grab the throttle bar and put other hand on tank or under seat, and push-bike comes up no prob...but, Im also 6'7" n 220lbs...not sure what i deadlift, but i can squat over 400...guess if you think your bike might go down, u should hit the gym
wink.gif

I am going to tell you how to do this assuming the bike is down on its left side.

THIS SHOULD HELP

First, HIT THE KILL SWITCH.

Next, turn off the gas if necessary.

Make sure the bike is in gear if you can get to it. If the bike is not in gear and you cannot get it in gear the technique becomes more difficult butt can still be done.

Standing with your butt toward the seat, stoop down and with your right hand take the left grip.

When you grab the grip, pull it until it is as close to the tank as possible. With your left hand find something sturdy to grab hold of under the seat. The closer your left hand is to your body the better.

You place your butt mid way on the edge of the seat.

This is CRUCIAL.

The placement of your butt too high or too low on the seat will not give you the leverage angle. You are pushing the bike with your butt and upper legs. You will have to pull up with your arms a bit butt mostly you will be pushing the bike up with your legs.

You must have good traction under your feet or your feet will slip. If there is gravel under your feet sweep it away with your boots until you get dirt. Same for grass. Be careful not to push the bike over the other side ;-)

Once you have the bike up, carefully put the side stand down and lower the bike to it.
If you can't get to the side stand with the heel of your boot, turn carefully and grab both grips then put the bike on side or center stand.

The process is the same if the bike is on it's right side. Editor's note: But your hands are reversed, of course. Your LEFT HAND is on the RIGHT GRIP and your RIGHT HAND grabs UNDER THE SEAT. It is easier to get it into gear. Remember to put the side stand out first so that you can ease the bike onto it once it is upright.

If you feel like there is no way this bike is going up like this, then move the position of your butt. If that doesn't work try changing the flex of your knees. I try not to flex my knees too much to begin with. Be careful. Often when you get the angle just right the bike goes up like it's made of paper. Adrenaline tends to push the bike over the other side ;-)

I've had this posted on my website for years... glad to see I can put it to use!

Picking up a motorcycle can be dangerous and cause serious injury if done incorrectly or under poor footing. A simple back injury could wreck your life! Always, always, always try to get help first;and remember, you don't want anybody else to get hurt, either. You need to think clearly, use common sense, and be in good physical condition. Keep your body and back straight, and lift only with your legs. Maintain control of the motorcycle and never twist your body while lifting. Check the motorcycle for damage prior to riding it again.

The majority of picking up a motorcycle is mental: Work smarter, not harder. Motorcycles are heavy machines. Think about how you want to do it first—if you were going to lift a 300-pound refrigerator, would you just run up and grab it and start muscling it around, or would you plan your attack? What would you do if you were going to lift an 800-pound refrigerator?

The ideal situation for lifting a motorcycle would be:
1. Have the lifting technique demonstrated by a qualified professional.
2. Practice with a qualified professional.
3. Have the qualified professional evaluate and coach your lifting technique.

Step 1: Assess Yourself
Take a few minutes to calm down. Seeing your bike lying on its side can be a traumatic experience, but it happens to everyone at one time or another. Your bike's not going anywhere without you. Spend a few minutes asking yourself questions and talking yourself through it: are you hurt? Are you able to pick up your motorcycle in a normal situation? Do you want to pick up your motorcycle? Is it safe to pick up your motorcycle? Etc., etc. You have the rest of your life to pick up your bike; take a few minutes to relax and assess the situation. It's best if you get help. And remember: if someone helps you, don't forget to warn them not to touch the hot exhaust pipe, not to lift by the turn signals, etc. Also make sure they lift correctly. You don't want someone else getting hurt.

Step 2: Assess the Environment
If you are in danger from other traffic, get away from your motorcycle and seek a place of safety. Let law enforcement respond and take control of the scene before picking up your motorcycle. Take a look at the ground: do you have a solid surface to lift from? Is there gravel? Is the pavement wet? Are you right next to a ditch? You don't want to slip and get pinned under your bike.

Step 3: Assess the Motorcycle
Turn it off using the engine cut-off switch or the ignition switch. Turn off the fuel using the fuel supply valve. Spilled fuel is common, so use caution (though usually you need sparks, flame, or an ignition source to have a fire or explosion.) If the motorcycle is lying on its right side, put the sidestand down and put the motorcycle in gear. If the motorcycle is on its left side, you can't put the side stand down and can't put the motorcycle in gear. Make a mental note of these facts. You don't want to pick up your motorcycle and then immediately drop it onto its other side! Techniques to Lift the Motorcycle—Preferred and Regular Methods

Technique I: Facing Away from the Motorcycle - For Large Motorcycles Preferred Method for any Size:

1. Turn the handlebars to full-lock position with front of tire pointed downward.
2. Find the "balance point" of the two tires and the engine, engine guard, or footpeg. The motorcycle will be fairly easy to lift until it reaches this point because it's resting on its side. Once you start lifting from there, you are responsible for the most of the weight of the bike.
3. "Sit" down with your butt/lower back against the motorcycle seat. Be very careful to keep your back straight and your head up. Put your feet solidly on the ground about 12 inches apart, with your knees bent slightly.
4. With one hand, grasp the handgrip (underhand, preferably), keeping your wrist straight.
5. With your other hand, grip the motorcycle framework (or any solid part of the motorcycle), being careful to avoid the hot exhaust pipe, turn signals, etc.
6. Lift with your legs by taking small steps backwards, pressing against the seat with your butt and keeping your back straight. On slippery or gravelly surfaces this technique probably won't work. On inclined surfaces this can be very dangerous.
7. Be careful not to lift the motorcycle up and then flip it onto its other side! If possible, put the sidestand down and the bike in gear.
8. Set the motorcycle on its sidestand and park it safely.

fallen_bike_1.jpg

Technique II: Facing the Motorcycle - For Small and Medium-Sized Motorcycles Regular Method:

1. Turn the handlebars to the full-lock position with the front of the tire pointed skyward.
2. Find the balance point of the two tires and the engine, engine guard, or footpeg. The motorcycle will be fairly easy to lift until it reaches this point because it's resting on its side. Once you start lifting from there, you are responsible for the most of the weight of the bike.
3. Stand very close to the handlebars. Plant your feet about shoulder-width apart with the lower handgrip in between them. Use both hands to lift. Keeping your back straight and your head up, lift carefully, keeping the handgrip close to your body. Use your leg muscles for power, and not your back muscles.
4. Be careful you don't lift the motorcycle up and then flip it onto its other side.
5. Set the motorcycle on its sidestand and park it safely.

fallen_bike_2.jpg

Back