Picked Up My New Bike

terrass604

Registered
Well, I finally bought a bike, a new '03 Gray / Silver. The dealer installed a SS Muzzy, mapped it, and a center stand. I now have 30 miles on it and am going out today before the rain hits later.

I still have to get used to it, but it is pretty jerky at low throttle settings below 3K. Maybe a PCIII would help??

About oil filters, I bought some at the dealer, but he did not have the oil filter tool in stock. I looked at the filters and wondered why you can't tighten them by hand like all the other oil filters in the world? I have small filters on my diesel welder, Kubota tractor, etc. and they are all hand tight only.

For those of you who change your own oil, do you use the Suzuki wrench on the oil filter?

Thanks for any advise and I can't wait to finish the break in period.

Ray

Congrats on the purchase!

Can't comment on the PC3, but you definately need a wrench for the filter if you tighten it by the specifications in the manual.( Two full turns after the seal touches the surface)

Welcome to the board!!

Dan
egitarre77.gif

I have never used the tool, I just hand tighten it.

<!--EDIT|Rich
Reason for Edit: None given...|1077380775 -->

Thanks for the comments and advise. I am just going to drive it for now and see if either I get used to the jerky low power throttle or need to have it mapped out somehow. Everything else is just awesome about the bike.

Just tighten it with your hand but you might need the tool some times to get it OFF!

It's kind of hard to get at sometimes with the headers in the way so......I got the wrench and it takes 5-seconds.

Welcome and you MUST POST PICS!
wink.gif

I hand tighten and go about 3/4 turn w/ a wrench as far as jerkiness before you buy anything make sure your throttle cable has almost no slack. It should be about 1/8" of play in it. If you still have jerkiness a TRE should clean it up a bit. And for your bike you need a PC3r. Congrats and get some pics up.

Do you normally have to remove the right side lower fairing if you use the wrench? I will checking into a PCIII once I break it in.

Thanks for the help.

I use a strap wrench on mine. It has an adjustable rubber loop through a handle. I tighten the filters on with this and remove them with it.

Hand tight just wouldn't be enough in my opinion. Between the vibration and oil pressures at high RMP, I think it is best to run those filters down somewhat tight.

Below 3000 RPMs it is going to be a bit abrupt. Not much that can be done about it. Try to keep the bike above 2500 when possible. I tend to cruise at 3500 or so. She can take it. Redline is a long way off at 3500 and the engine is happiest at 5000 or more.

Thanks for the tips. It does much better above 3K when just trying to keep a constant speed. Going 35 mph around here is really tough unless I keep it in 1st because trying to hold it is a battle between on and off all the time. It also seems better after the bike is warmed up completely, either that or I get better at controlling it after 20 mins. in the saddle.

Suzuki makes a nice oil filter wrench (used it on Katana, don't know if it works for 'Busa yet) - goes over the filter, and has opening for a socket wrench in the middle.

I got new oil filters from K&N though - they have like 1" nut on top, so you can use socket wrench.

As far as jerkiness at low rpm, previous owner installed PC-2, and TRE - it is so smooth at any rpm that many times I thought I was in 2nd while actually I was in 1st. She is definitely smoother than my Kat at low rpms.

Just ordered an Ivan TRE for the bike. After reading about the symtoms on his website I realized that is what I need to fix the jerking. Thanks for mentioning the TRE and I can't wait to try it out.

Or you can just give it more throttle,and the rear tire will just spin leaving a nice dark patch on the road. Then you'll know where you have been and can find your way home no problem

Back